Sign in to follow this  
Tero Kotsalainen

How to merge multiple polygons as one?

Hey I'm really new user for c4d, I need to make ellipse kind of shape, like samsung earpuds 3 case kind of, but with rougher edges. I've tried the connect and delete and I've got them as one but the lines stay in the object, how can I delete the lines so it would be one shape only. I bet this is really stupid question but I'm stuck. I'll add some images to as reference. I want to do the case from the original photo.

Is there any better way to do the ellipse kind of shape as the case is?

Thanks for advance!

Näyttökuva 2019-7-8 kello 17.03.10.png

Näyttökuva 2019-7-8 kello 17.06.11.png

This is not a good way to model this shape- but that's ok!  We all start somewhere and you came to the right place for help. 

Try using an Extrude with a rounded rectangle shape.  See my file to get started.  The quads for the caps ended up pretty decent, but if you wanted you could make it editable and fix a couple triangles in there.

Earbud Case v1.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much for the advice and help Nate!

Hi

Polygon modeling is not done this way, it would be nice if you could just combine objects and get clean results but that is not the case.  (Connect and Delete) command is so you can combine separate parts into one object while they remain as individual parts such as case and lid, this is not the same as welding them as if they are one single connected object.

8KQos4I.png

Here is the above once material is applied with lighting.

st6ii8u.png

KpYa6Kp.png

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for showing the workflow Dan! 

• Topic Author
  • Okey the second stupid question is how to do multiple holes in one object using boole, I can do one but the second one looks funny.

Näyttökuva 2019-7-8 kello 22.40.06.png

3 hours ago, Tero Kotsalainen said:

Okey the second stupid question is how to do multiple holes in one object using boole, I can do one but the second one looks funny.

Näyttökuva 2019-7-8 kello 22.40.06.png

Do not use booles for this - they are at best a lazy cheat and produce lamentable results unless you really know what you are doing. Instead, start poly modelling with the outline of the holes, and the perimeter of the main shape, and bridge those together using the polygon modelling toolset. If you don't know what any of that means, you need to watch some basic poly modelling tutorials on youtube. 

CBR

Boole will make a mess of it, you need to plan ahead to get a hole into geometry, This kind of decision is not post detail, it has to be thought out right at the beginning.  This is another reason why your better off working with a much lower polygon object to start with.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Okey thanks guys!

I'd like to propose a different solution to the first problem, which I think you almost started in the right direction ! :) Although we can get a fair approximation if we base these things on a cube, the ends of the reference object are very 'deliberately round' in a quite defined sort of way, so there is a strong argument for starting with circular forms there, as you tried initially, but what you actually need is 2 semi-circles rather than 2 discs, and they don't need that much resolution if we use SDS to attain our smoothness and higher poly result.

562959715_roundedendscbr.thumb.jpg.7e827e15957e997d206fd3a8b5dd1173.jpg

So here the steps are:

1. Disc Primitive 16 segments, with inner radius so we only get the rim and no horrible triangles.

2. Editable, select right half, Disconnect and move over.

3. Edge mode, bridge the long edges

4. Bridge across the longest edges, then Close Poly Hole to fill the gaps.

5. Line Cut, and cut this into quads (random 1 of many different ways shown)

6. Outline Select to grab perimeter edges, then Ctrl-drag down a couple of times to create sides. I then added 2 loops (Loop Cut) inside the ends, to better isolate the rounded parts from the straight section. 

7. Outline Select top perimeter again, then Chamfer with 3-5 segments (bevel tool) to get the extra-defined rounding there.

8. SDS (Subdivision Surface Object), at which point you can go onto mirror down to the lower shell, then add thickness to both.

At any point after Step 4 above, you could have elected to use symmetry as well, which would nearly halved the amount of polys you had to cut, although we should also note it would have made your cuts more inaccurate as you'd lose the ability to cut from point to point on X, which is arguably the most important direction we need to cut, so swings and roundabouts, hey ? :)

CBR

@Cerbera look like similar topo to mine regarding the loop and around the top edge.

o5m4BfE.png

oYq8O6n.png

Dan

10 minutes ago, Rectro said:

@Cerbera look like similar topo to mine regarding the loop and around the top edge.

Dan

Oh yes, yours is a winner too of course :) But if we're really going to get picky and make truly circular-form ends, as I think OP's first ref pic demands, then we do get a more controlled result with more of the circle form concentrated in the right places if we use a few more polys and define that curvature in the base form. This is being very picky, but it is a point that stands :)

CBR