Waldemar

Where to start modelling this..?

Hi.

I've been using C4D for a bit and have a general feel for getting around the application (I'm on an ancient version) - aside from the very basic stuff (flying logos etc.) modelling has always been a bit of a weakness/mystery to me.  I'm currently looking at creating a single tile of the attached and I'm after a couple of pointers on how some of you guys at the Cafe would approach it in 4D.  Do I model it as a complete tile, do I concentrate on just modelling an eighth of it and patterning it?  Do I start with primitives and pull 'em about?  Polys?  As you can see, I'm a bit lost in terms of knowing how to approach it correctly where the method allows me to achieve a natural flow and also have control over the edges terminating cleanly etc.

Look forward to hearing a couple of suggestions...

Wal.

tile_shape.jpg

Alas I am busy on client work at the moment, otherwise I'd show you how to do this step-by-step, but the overview is that you should start flat, and using what is presumably Fig 2 as a visual guide, establish the corner polygons first. Rotational symmetry is certainly an option from almost the outset. Then complete the front of the shape using as few polys as possible, then select just those polys (not the corners) and hide them. Then build the reverse of the shape, and now you can start pulling points backwards to define the rear side curvature. Then unhide the front polys, and drag them forwards, at which point you can extrude all polys to get the start of your thickness. It is unclear if you need control loops after that, but I suspect not - I think I would aim to make subdivision pretty much uniform all over it if you can, but have enough of it so that control loops are unnecessary and you build a mesh that is more organic in structure. One of the challenges will be avoiding a complex pole at the centers, but I think that's possible fairly easily with enough planning ahead...

Hope that sends you off in the right direction...

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera,

That does indeed give me somewhere to start.

Wal.

Here's a quick fly round the first few stages...

1. Start with a 6 x 6 plane covering the whole form, then delete everything except 1 corner poly and expand that toward the center then cut in a centerline that follows the loop...  this gives us a starting point, but more importantly, defines the rotational axis as being at the center, which will be useful later...

11545524_Knot1a.thumb.jpg.25d6d80f8b622e7ce022336af90ed701.jpg  69664187_Knot1b.thumb.jpg.5e4a072e09daadccef18f8191bf10c88.jpg

2.   Holding Ctrl, Rotate off a copy, holding shift as well to quantize it to 90 degrees (Right pic). Do that 2 more times. 

3. Connect and delete all 4 models then bridge together the center, keeping polys all quads and as even as possible. Then select the center poly and Soft Selection in Dome mode that affects everything except the corner's outer edges, pull that forwards. Then Select All polys and using the mirror tool, mirror that across the centreline on Z (assuming rotational symmetry was also around Z).

4.  Next we have to disconnect the centre section from one side and then rotate it until  it meets the other arms, at which point we can weld them together...

...or CAN WE ? Actually probably not. I need to rethink this - the next stage is going to be crucial, and I can see big holes (as opposed to the right holes ;) in my current plan for that...

You may well be able to see how to proceed after that but let me know if you need the second half...

CBR

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • Very useful - thanks for taking the time to post that.  I'll see how far I get before coming unstuck..!

Wal.

I'll watch from afar with interest. I came unstuck quite a few times myself doing the bit after this ;) It's a little sod of a shape no doubt about it, and getting the right bits of it open and tiling correctly is what I'd describe as 'all the fun'...  :/

CBR

2 hours ago, Waldemar said:

I may be some time...!  :lol:

Yes, it's very snowy out there. You'll need an umbrella and a lightsaber at the bare minimum !

And a lot of mental fortitude and grim resolve, because shortly, Normals are going to start driving you mental ;)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Okay, I had a bash at it.  I've been discussing it with a guy on another forum who had a go at modelling it up in Blender - he seemed to have a fair bit of success, so I borrowed a bit from his method, most notably the piece of the corner that he chose to model.  The flat polys were duplicated, spaced vertically and connected with more polys, but I left a hole at the end and where the piece would touch a duplicate.  The result was placed in an array object to make the duplicates (and to tweak to get the polys lined up) before converting that result back into a poly, duplicating, flipping connecting and optimising points (which I did pretty much after every major connect & delete).  Final shape then got placed into a hyper-nurbs object.

It's kinda getting there, but I imagine I'm still a fair way off, particularly in terms of achieving a nice 'flow' across the model (note the harsh seems and faceting) and getting the connections to look tidier than they are at present...

modelled_shape.jpg

render.jpg

wire.jpg

Excellent work - and indeed this has totally changed my understanding of what that shape was meant to be doing in the first place ! :) Now I can visualise it in the different way the corner topology makes much more sense than my original suggestion. If the second pic was your result in Cinema, then looks like you are missing a phong tag (or threshold is set too low if it does have one) and you can fix the transitions instantly by putting it all under a connect object. I reckon you are very nearly there !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yep, the phong tag was indeed tripping me up a bit - I was applying it to the hyper-nurbs object instead of the poly.  Here's a newer version:

tile.thumb.jpg.15e82e79666b0e6b86d613dd3e51f3ac.jpg

Still a bit of a harsh crease in the corners where the sections meet, will have to investigate further..!

Could you upload the mesh so I can see if I can fix those corner creases ?

CBR