• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

3D Studi-oh Max on offer !

It does make me laugh when this happens...

1705932444_3dsmax.thumb.JPG.6c6c028ece3f219360c59237ad31f27a.JPG

I came from Max originally, so always keep an eye on it to see how it is doing now I've defected over here :)

So rather than reporting it to Google as inappropriate, as I normally would, today I clicked on it and was still laughing when I saw their ridiculous prices :)

20% off, and it's still at least twice the price of a MAXON Studio version MSA to rent it per year ! I admit I am biased against the monthly subscription system altogether (no need to open up that particular jar of pickles again ;), but occasionally I do feel the need to call out Autodesk as they seem one of the worst exponents of it... 

It might remain the best modeller there is so far, but we are catching up to it fast, I don't believe it will hold that crown forever, and for me at least, Cinema is a far nicer environment to work in.

So for anyone considering the move to Max, my advice remains... don't.

CBR

I never hide how much I hate AD and their business model. 20% off? That’s a joke!

To be honest, with Blender 2.80 release candidate next Thursday, I can see the future of the 3D apps to change in the next few years. Blender is now, definitely, in the right direction. I’m fact, I’m already integrating it in my pipeline and considering not to purchase the MSA this year. 

• Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, bezo said:

As we talk about Autodesk, did you read this on cgtalk?

https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/autodesk-perpetual-licenses-suddenly-not-perpetual-anymore/2052430

(This is the case when perpetual not means perpetual :) )

Forgive my language, and temporary removal of my moderator hat, but they really are proper bastards aren't they ? :)

CBR

Absolutely disrespectful & disgusting....they're going to lose a substantial chunk of client base and even if they revoke the policy, the community will always remember.

(I think they may be getting these ideas from the way greek government operates the last 8 years...:wackywink:)

Don´t know what to say, but I think world is changing. It´s not about just single company, everything is in the move...

...and all  is spinning around money (BIG money if it´s possible)

Wow.....okay....I need some re-assurance from MAXON.  Please someone who works at MAXON tell me that this as shocking to them as it is to us and goes counter to their culture.

My fear is that once a big company like AD makes the move, other DCC companies wait to see if it tanks their business.  This is what happened when Adobe moved to the subscription only model.  Once Adobe showed that they survived that move economically, others began to consider it for themselves as it could raise revenues.

But Adobe's move was on "future" releases.  AD's move is on "past" purchases....which to me violates the contract user's thought they had when they purchased a perpetual license.  To violate that agreement therefore puts AD's integrity in question.   As such, if any other company considers a move like this, then I hope it raises the same questions about how that move impacts that companies brand and reputation for integrity.

I place MAXON in the highest tier of a company with integrity....so please someone who works there please tell me that this move is anathema to their culture.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I place MAXON in the highest tier of a company with integrity....so please someone who works there please tell me that this move is anathema to their culture.

I am only a lowly beta-tester, but from everything I have seen, heard or read, MAXON are properly decent people who I trust never to pull this sort of sh*t on their customers.

CBR

I'm no lawyer but going by everything I know about licensing and contracts what Autodesk is trying to do there is ABSOLUTELY not legal. You cannot change a contract like this. You need an okay from both parties and if they, at the time, sold  the license as perpetual they cannot change that to a subscription model or basically change anything about it. This is why there are contracts in the first place.

I'm so increadibly happy I never started with Autodesk Software. Seriously, screw this company. It's a shame they hold such great software hostage.

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, DasFrodo said:

such great software hostage

It's actually not even THAT great ;) Their interface is horrendous. As much as I trumpet them as holding the modelling crown (for now) let's not also forget that they can't even make a basic knife tool that doesn't create tons of random points everywhere along your cuts. Sure, we are missing a few cool things, but also a lot of headaches and unstable updates as well as the daylight robbery.

CBR

44 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

It's actually not even THAT great ;) Their interface is horrendous. As much as I trumpet them as holding the modelling crown (for now) let's not also forget that they can't even make a basic knife tool that doesn't create tons of random points everywhere along your cuts. Sure, we are missing a few cool things, but also a lot of headaches and unstable updates as well as the daylight robbery.

CBR

Well, I remember trying 3DS Max for a while, probably like 10 years ago and I generally liked the workflow the software offered. Loading times were horrendous even back then but I felt like the modeling toolkit was crazy good.

Can't really speak for Autodesk Software nowadays as I don't use a single one. I occasionally dabble a bit in Fusion360 for my 3D-Printing experiments but thats about it. I like that software though. The general mood around them seems to sour more every year though. No matter where you look, people complain about sh*** updates, missing features, constant crashing and so on.

Can't really remember when C4D crashed on me the last time, excluding Plug-Ins of course.

1 hour ago, DasFrodo said:

Can't really remember when C4D crashed on me the last time, excluding Plug-Ins of course.

Don't you feel a little guilty when C4D crashes, you send a crash report to MAXON and they come back telling you that it was due to a plugin?  Kind of like the same feeling you would get should you accidentally serve sour milk to your child and they throw up. 

"I am so sorry Cinema....I didn't mean to feed you that plugin!!" 

:lol:

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.