Sign in to follow this  
MikeMac

Anyone Do GSG's Wacky Tubeman Tutorial?

Hey again...

So I'm doing this tutorial and I find myself stuck pretty early on. Went through it 2x and cannot fix, but I suspect it is a simple setting tweek. I have my stack of cylinders connected and parented. When you hit play, the stack collapses and falls out of frame, with the exception of the bottom cylinder which is fixed. So far so good. My problem is that when the animation resets at frame 0, it doesn't revert to neatly stacked cylinders but instead resets to a point mid-collapse. I rebuilt the scene and am getting the same result. I have no idea why this is happening but need to solve it.

A second question, not really important (I hope) but I am curious about, is the GUI representation of the Joint. Initially they were drawn in pastel blue and yellow tones, but now they are red. I'm guessing I've inadvertently hit some odd keyboard command that causes this but I have no idea what is going on here either.

Project attached, extremely grateful for any & all insight.

Thanks!

TubeMan 04.c4d

No idea what this is without a link to the video. Also, not sure why the OM is so weird. So I re-arranged it...

Press play, move the base etc.

what is it.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, jed said:

No idea what this is without a link to the video. Also, not sure why the OM is so weird. So I re-arranged it...

Press play, move the base etc.

what is it.c4d 401.76 kB · 3 downloads

Man, I really appreciate how generous you are with your time, I feel like I should start paying you tuition or something! The video I'm referencing is thishttps://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/creating-a-dynamic-wacky-waving-inflatable-tube-man-from-scratch/ . Also, what is OM that you refer to?

Thanks yet again!

OM = object manager top right. The objects are nested in a weird triangle. Dynamic objects don't usually need nesting - dynamics does its own thing after frame 0. I'm guessing the OM was some shortcut way to link all the connectors without having to do it manually. In my file I used hierarchy ::):.

I'll have a look at the video when I have time. I used to watch a lot of GSG + Chris Schmidt stuff.

• Topic Author
  • 36 minutes ago, jed said:

OM = object manager top right. The objects are nested in a weird triangle. Dynamic objects don't usually need nesting - dynamics does its own thing after frame 0. I'm guessing the OM was some shortcut way to link all the connectors without having to do it manually. In my file I used hierarchy ::):.

I'll have a look at the video when I have time. I used to watch a lot of GSG + Chris Schmidt stuff.

Chris instructed us to nest them that way, it helped with deleting a bunch of redundant tags and I suspect plays some other role further down the line.

Also, I rebuilt the rig a 3rd time, and while I feel like I haven't done anything differently, it works this time. As usual, the problem was most likely somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

I had a quick look at the video, and there's no particular signifcance re the hierarchy nesting - I think Chris is just being wacky for the sake of it eg setting values to 555, 999 etc instead of 500, 1000.

Coincidently, I made a similar scene recently that has the tracer thing, but runs on Python. Instead of connectors, there's a bit of math.

• Topic Author
  • 46 minutes ago, jed said:

I had a quick look at the video, and there's no particular signifcance re the hierarchy nesting - I think Chris is just being wacky for the sake of it eg setting values to 555, 999 etc instead of 500, 1000.

Coincidently, I made a similar scene recently that has the tracer thing, but runs on Python. Instead of connectors, there's a bit of math.

That's very cool! Not sure if I'll ever learn Python though...I've actually been using C4D for a few years, but only sporadically and I basically have to re-learn it every time. We just upgraded from R14 to R20, so there's a lot that's different and I am making a conscious effort to include C4D in more of my projects so that maybe the knowledge will have a chance to stick. Thanks again for your help with this and with all my other stupid questions, I really appreciate it a great deal!

@MikeMac BTW I was not dissing Chris Schmidt - he's a very talented guy, it's his little quirks like setting frame count etc to 333 that make me laugh.

@jed but he saves precious nanoseconds hitting the same key three times instead of 2 different keys!  XD

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, jed said:

@MikeMac BTW I was not dissing Chris Schmidt - he's a very talented guy, it's his little quirks like setting frame count etc to 333 that make me laugh.

I bet his passwords are easy to crack

2 hours ago, natevplas said:

@jed but he saves precious nanoseconds hitting the same key three times instead of 2 different keys!  XD

You're not allowing for the time spent during tutorials, at SIGGRAPH etc explaining the 555 malarkey. Probably breaks even ::):.

The bit in the video linked above where he simulates the air inside Tubeman by sending the wind object along the tracer generated spline is typical CS creative thinking.