Sign in to follow this  
semilion

Texturing Problem

I'm having a problem with my textures.  Its not the texture its the way the mesh is assembled... and it's driving me nuts because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Here is a link to a screen capture of the issue.  I am attaching the file as well.  Render it, you'll see the problem quickly.  By the way the file I attached is a zip file.

https://gyazo.com/faffa985020047a7b4ffcff1021df544

Thanks in advance!

rock front sample tex.zip

First off some housekeeping - pls take care to post in the right section - here that is Textures / Materials (I'll move it there now for you). Also please use the cafe image upload system to upload pics rather than linking to them externally.

What you are doing wrong here is using a mapping mode (Cubic) that is not appropriate for that object. Cubic, as the name implies is best suited to objects largely comprised of planar surfaces on X, Y or Z. Your object has almost zero axis-planar surfaces - all its faces are at angles of very much not 90 degrees, so you force the renderer into guessing which of the 3 planar directions of Cubic to assign, and its decisions will not usually be the right ones. The bad news is that none of the standard projections will texture this well - really the object needs to be properly UV unwrapped.

If you do that, you'll get a pretty decent result despite the horrendous topology...

1727551570_Uvmaprock.thumb.jpg.81c270c2c69c8e26ee85123c5026246d.jpg

Or you could use this one I did for you...

rock front sample CBR Fix.c4d

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 21 hours ago, Cerbera said:

First off some housekeeping - pls take care to post in the right section - here that is Textures / Materials (I'll move it there now for you). Also please use the cafe image upload system to upload pics rather than linking to them externally.

What you are doing wrong here is using a mapping mode (Cubic) that is not appropriate for that object. Cubic, as the name implies is best suited to objects largely comprised of planar surfaces on X, Y or Z. Your object has almost zero axis-planar surfaces - all its faces are at angles of very much not 90 degrees, so you force the renderer into guessing which of the 3 planar directions of Cubic to assign, and its decisions will not usually be the right ones. The bad news is that none of the standard projections will texture this well - really the object needs to be properly UV unwrapped.

If you do that, you'll get a pretty decent result despite the horrendous topology...

1727551570_Uvmaprock.thumb.jpg.81c270c2c69c8e26ee85123c5026246d.jpg

Or you could use this one I did for you...

rock front sample CBR Fix.c4d 335.3 kB · 2 downloads

CBR

Thank you so much.  I apologize for failing to place my items in the proper locations.  Thank you so much for the wrap.  I honestly don't know how to wrap something.  Every tutorial I've found uses a cube.  And I can't wrap my head around it.  Sorry for the pun.  Honestly I've tried watching those tutorials at least a dozen times.  Every time I suck.  I truly wish I could learn how to do it so I can add effects in photoshop.  if you could help with this too, I'd buy you a beer!

By the way the texture didn't accompany the file.  But thanks.  I'm going to dig into this part of the forum and see what I can find to help myself as well.  Again thanks a million!

1 hour ago, semilion said:

By the way the texture didn't accompany the file.  But thanks.  I'm going to dig into this part of the forum and see what I can find to help myself as well.  Again thanks a million!

No I didn't include it knowing you already had it, but I did forget to warn you that you would need to relink it in my file :) I take it you got it loaded it in the end ?

People tend to fear UV mapping, and it does seem daunting at first but once you understand the principles involved and have some practical experience with the tools it doesn't take long before you are comfortable doing it, and can unwrap pretty much anything.

I looked at your rock, and decided I would place 1 big seam along the middle, and then unwrap it frontally from both sides of that seam, if you see what I mean.

The UV mapping tutorial that really unlocked my understanding of it was this one, which you may have to watch several times, but is absolutely telling you what you need to know, and the thought process behind successful mapping.

Anyway, hope that helps...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you soooooo much!  I am sorry it took me so long to read your reply.  I owe you man! Would be okay if I ask you questions regarding UV mapping via this post, if I needed to?  I'll to my best to figure it out before bothering you.  I like to make my own way... but from time to time you have to ask for directions you know?

• Topic Author
  • Forgot to ask, how do I fix the warping at the right end of the object?  I've included a screen grab of the area.

UV MAP WARPING.png

Yep, you can ask questions here, hopefully i will see them if I am around, but there are lots of people here who can answer them so no need to wait for me specifically...

I did a fairly arbitrary seam placement just to show you the general principle of choosing seams and UV unwrapping - but because I am unaware of where your final camera will be, and what angle you are looking at this object from I can't really decide where to place the seams to optimal effect until I do know that...

So, to avoid the distorted 7 in the shot above we just need more seams and more projections than the 2 I did originally. Here's one with another seam added, and the UV split into 3 islands. I also fixed the degenerated polys on the mesh that were preventing a UV relax by optimizing it in Points mode.

899399196_Uvmaprock2.thumb.jpg.d7e3a1baa2ff2c80652172c450f0a6d8.jpg

So now we avoid distortion in that area, but we do have an additional seam that may be visible to camera depending on where that is parked... so seam choice should be at least partially depending on the angle you are viewing it from. Does that make sense ?

Here's the scene file for that ( don't forget to relink the texture!)...

rock front sample 2.c4d

CBR

Of course we might be overthinking this...

If your plan is to eventually use a rocky sort of texture, then you don't need any seams at all, and can just do a top-down frontal projection of all polys at once followed by an ABF relax with Pin Border Polys off, and you'll get a highly usable result something like this one... not really that much distortion anywhere in particular which may very well be good enough. The advantage of a no-seams approach is that you can view the object from any angle and there are no seams to show up anywhere ! But the disadvantage is that we might expect some texture stretching, certainly more than had we used some seams and multiprojections.

418927067_Noseams.thumb.jpg.d60063a13ff163613284f1d4062e92e7.jpg

No seams.c4d

Just load any rock texture you like into the material's colour channel and you can test this yourself in the above file...

CBR