• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Hammertime

Animated Spline of a Weighted Polygon

Hi there,

I've been trying a lot of different things but I don't seem to find a solution for my problem and I would really appreciate it if anybody could point me to the right direction.
It's quite possible there is an easy solution for this with Xpresso, so far I only needed it once so my experience with Xpresso is almost non existent.

What I'm trying to do is have a spline that moves according to an animated, weighted polygon. The spline itself was created from a loop selection of said polygon and it should basically move exactly like the selected loop. Because it's a weighted Polygon I don't think I can simply use Null objects and constraint them to the spline. 

The polygon is an animated backrest and I'd like to add seam stitches via the spline, just like I did with other parts of the sofa that weren't animated. Once the backrest moves the stitches should move accordingly.

backrestanimc0kcw.jpg

If someone has an idea how to realize this, please let me know!
Thanks

Hammertime

Spline_animated_Polygon.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot for you help!

@ digitvisions - the only problem we have with this solution is that I might need to parent several splines to each joint and then manually delete all the stitches that shouldn't move with the according joint. Nonetheless I didn't think of it and sometimes there's got to be done a little bit of dirty work for it to work so cheers for that!

@ adambelis - interesting system with the Tracer and Matrix! A simple rearrangement took care of the priority problem, the Matrix obj goes first, followed by the Tracer and the 'seams' Clone obj at the end. I'm working with constraints every now and then and basically you can solve most of your priority problem by rearranging (or using the shift priority tag +R18). C4D's natural order of calculating solvers and constraints is top to bottom so always keep an eye out for that, especially if one object needs the input of another object.

Again, cheers for your help, much appreciated!

Spline_animated_Polygon-adam-new_order.c4d

I know about rearranging would fix the problem but I could not find right order it was too late at night :D. that spline and constrain should also be fixable but matrix and tracer should be more flexible/ "procedural". i glad it helped

why not just run a current state to object command for the stitches at frame 0 to make the stitches polygon geometry too, and then use a surface deformer? this will give you the least headaches and a very precise results. if you keep your stitches setup you can make changes to it later on in case the client requires it and just run the current state to object command again and replace the new stitches geo with the previous one.

• Topic Author
  • Cheers, Cafe Logo Designer. Barely used the surface deformer so far but you're right - works like a charm!

7 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Cheers, Cafe Logo Designer. Barely used the surface deformer so far but you're right - works like a charm!

my user name is everfresh, not cafe logo designer ;)