• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
M G

Controlling spline length and material

Hi All,

First a thanks to those who helped with my previous post here, where I was able to control a line (arrow) from being wiggly (vibrating) to straight via a slider.

Now I have a second part to this animation where I want to control the growth (length) of the arrow, and how color can stay mapped despite the length of the arrow. Please see attached file for reference.

First question: Is there a way to make the length of this arrow stay fixed, for explanatory reasons related to the attached file, let's say 3 inches. When it wiggles around it gets longer and shorter, is there a way to have it wiggle but stay at a fixed length?

Second question: As I use the Arrow length slider, the arrow's length changes, but the material grows/shrinks proportionally. Is there a way to keep the material fixed so there are three one inch (equal) bands of color, not compressing as the arrow shrinks in length?

What I want to do is have the arrow grow at three intervals while wiggling. Position one- It starts at 1",wiggling,  with  just the green band exposed. Then it grows another inch to Position 2, exposing the blue band, while still wiggling. Then it grows the final inch to position 3, exposing the red band, all while wiggling. The problem I'm envisioning is that while the arrow is wiggling at the first or second position it will grow long and expose some of the next color (ie while wiggling in position 1 there might be some blue that peaks out. 

I'm hoping this makes sense.

Part of the issues happen because the growth slider is based on a percentage of a wiggling line that has variable length. If I could fix or declare the length (when straight)  and then grow via distance rather than percentage this might work. But I don't know how to do that. I'm also not sure what will work either because my spline was built as nulls connected as joints, and not parametrically.

If the length of the arrow can be fixed (while wiggling) the next question is how to get the material to cooperate with what I'm trying to do above. 

I don't know if these problems are linked, but if there are suggestions for either problems, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Arrow_color_and size.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Ok I just figured out part of a solution, in the sweep object, the attributes has a box called  'stick UVs', uncheck it and the bands will hold their length (will not compress with the arrow length). Updated file is attached.

But this file better explains the issue though. Place the 'arrow length slider' at about 74%, so the red band is not shown. Hit play, and the arrow will wiggle, and the arrow will grow/shrink in length. I'm trying to control this so that if I do hit play and wiggle the arrow, it'll  stay the same length even though it's bending and moving. Again, not sure if this is possible but it'd be great if it can be done.

Thanks (again)!!!

Arrow_color_and size_01.c4d

Not sure I follow, the arrow is of same length all the time...?

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Hi Hrvoje,

Yes, the arrow is supposed to be overall a fixed length (ie 3 inches, with each color band representing an inch). When the vibrate deformers are active (played in loop) you will see that at times the color bands (and the arrow) stretch and deform, getting apparently larger and smaller in length (both in each band and overall). The length of the arrow is essentially elastic.

Imagine you had a piece of string (not elastic) that was a fixed length (3 inches) and you wiggled it around. The length of that string is always 3 inches. This is what I want to do.  Hopefully this clarifies.

Thank you for your interest! 

Then use MoSpline instead of spline. Simply set the length and use builtin deformation controls :)

• Topic Author
  • Thank you. While Mospline is good to fix the length, I need to give it random motion (vibrate) at vertices and then control it to grow in a straight line as well. The way I have the spline built I don't think I can use Mospline. Then again, I'm not super knowledgable of Mospline either.

Response much appreciated, thank you for your time!

You can load effectors and forces in MoSpline, along with making selections - it is perfect for what you need. Simply use it in sweep as any other spline :)

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for sticking with me...Obviously I don't know enough about Mospline. It works fine as a swept spline, but I've been manipulating and controlling it at the vertex level (via joints/nulls) From the little bit I looked into It didn't seem I had vertex level control. Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly. Is there a way to manipulate individual vertices with in a Mospline?