• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
ximon

Cloning things to an animated object?

I've created a scene with jello cubes colliding in mid-air using soft-body dynamics. I'm happy with the simulation and have baked it down into keyframes.

I now want to clone lots of small spheres inside the baked jello objects to make little bubbles of air. I do this with a cloner set to volume distribution (random). This looks fine on a still frame, but when I play the animation the clones are jumping around, disappearing, reappearing all over the place. If I switch the volume mode from random to surface it works, but I need them to be inside. 

Any ideas how to work around this? Thanks.

I can see why that is happening - the thing you are cloning into keeps changing, so the cloner has to keep updating every frame, and does so in the random manner you have specified - not sure you could have reasonably expected any other result there :/ Of course if the material is meant to be jello really the air bubbles should be deforming with the outer object if you are going for realism, so maybe you need to think again about the whole setup if that is what you are going for ?

But even if you want them to be static I don't see how this could be done procedurally now you have baked in the animation. What you need is the result of the cloned spheres at Frame 0 to be 'frozen in time' but still follow (in groups) the object they are inside at the time. How many jello cubes are we talking about here ? I am trying to ascertain if doing it manually is an option...

It would also help a great deal to have your scene file (ideally before the animation was baked)... pls can you upload it ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot mate, yeah I did expect that to happen - just hoped I'd be able to find a workaround. I have eight jello cubes, each with around 80 bubbles cloned inside.

So far my best solution is to set the volume distribution to surface mode (random) and then offset them a bit along the normals until they're inside. Luckily in my case this just about works because my cubes are quite thin, but in alternative situations it wouldn't be ideal.

I don't think that including the bubbles in the simulation is an option either as they would just end up bouncing around inside the cubes, no?

Here is my very simple scene file before I baked the simulation:

Jello_Collision.c4d