Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

2 minutes ago, srek said:

No, R21 is not planned to be the last perpetual license. Due to the legal difference between subscription and perpetual license it can happen that some upgrades will only become immediately available to subscribers. This does not concern bug fixes, which will be made available to subscribers and buyers, technical differences excluded of course.

I know that R21 will not be the last perpetual license.  I am free to purchase a whole NEW license past R21.   What I am concerned about is whether or not I will be allowed to upgrade from an R21 perpetual license to an R22 perpetual license in the US!!

Can that question be answered as it has a huge bearing on how I proceed as my MSA expires at the end of August.

Dave

1 minute ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I know that R21 will not be the last perpetual license.  I am free to purchase a whole NEW license past R21.   What I am concerned about is whether or not I will be allowed to upgrade from an R21 perpetual license to an R22 perpetual license in the US!!

Can that question be answered as it has a huge bearing on how I proceed as my MSA expires at the end of August.

Dave

Afaik there is no plan to not offer upgrades. This is actually a pretty outlandish thought to me, i would be surprised if such an option was ever discussed internally. MAXON has no interest in punishing paying customers.

3 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Dave

you are allowed to upgrade, the only thing that is unclear at this point is the cost.

That's my question as well. Assuming you are able to purchase a perpetual license after R21, will each perpetual license purchase cost the price of a new license or will there be an upgrade price similar to the MSA price?  

1 minute ago, srek said:

Afaik there is no plan to not offer upgrades. This is actually a pretty outlandish thought to me, i would be surprised if such an option was ever discussed internally. MAXON has no interest in punishing paying customers.

Thank you Srek....that is great to hear. 

I will then proceed as I have in the past.  The only thing I lose is access to Cineversity....which hurts a bit.

Dave

1 minute ago, Falstaff said:

That's my question as well. Assuming you are able to purchase a perpetual license after R21, will each perpetual license purchase cost the price of a new license or will there be an upgrade price similar to the MSA price?  

can't imagine they'd make it the price of a new license, that would make no sense.

It wouldn't make any sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :) 

My Feeling.

Subscription : YES Finally. really happy about this But im sure the transition from perpetual licenses will be problematic

Redshift in Subscription: Double YES!

New caps and Bevels. : sounds kinda boring,really glad about this. Im constantly extruding

Field Forces, Looks really cool. cant wait to try it

Denoiser: Nice

Open API for Nodes: Sweet. cant wait for Redshift to use it

AOV Node: Sweet as well. hope redshift uses this layout

kinda underwhelming, I guess alot of time was invested into subscription and license changes.

1 minute ago, Falstaff said:

It wouldn't make any sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :) 

i have enough faith in MAXON to be sure it won't happen.

I have just been doing my maths. I have R20 and was due to get a new MSA for £660 ( inc VAT) in August. If I don’t do this I can take out a subscription which will cost me £676 so roughly the same money. Now I also have a Redshift licence which will cost me £205 to upgrade. So if I take out the new MAXON subscription with the Redshift licence that will cost me £945 whereas the old method would be £865 so an extra £80...

Mind you I don’t know if there is VAT on the Redshift licence of £205 which would make it £246 but still slightly cheaper,