Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

1 hour ago, Pinin said:

Someone can deny this for existing users ?

Studio on MSA to Subscription: pay slighty more, loose perpetual license.

Studio on MSA to continue perpetual: loose Cineversity, 14 day web check, unclear price for upgrades…

Prime, Broadcast etc, get perpetual Studio R21 w 14 day web check, pay much more for next upgrades.

“Perpetual” now come with a caveat, it needs to phone home every 14 days.
So it is perpetual if MAXON has the server working…i remind that Autodesk just stopped serving their "perpetual" software more than 3 years old.

Out of this mess the only ones that seem to apparently win seem those that are new to the game that have a rent price significantly better than Max or Maya… excluding those that can have Max and Maya Indie.

cross posted from cgsociety.

MAXON really should change it’s R21 catch phrase from “3D for the whole world” to “3D for new customers only”

Existing customers are to be left hanging to find out what years of customer loyalty really means to MAXON until we can beat the greedy exec’s and accountants into submission - stay tuned.

Dave

2 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

I recall people saying that Adobe is buying MAXON from 2008 onwards "really soon" or "next year" :)

Simply not happening. Even from purely business perspective it would be to costly for Adobe and they would certainly opt to do their own development

Adobe never developed any App by itself. The complete Bunch of Apps they call "Creative" Cloud is bought. And Adobe never made great efforts to make them familar (Path-Handles / Layers-Behavior / ... Even since they got their sheeps in the cloud, they don´t do anything that way).  So from where you are that sure, that Adobe will not buy MAXON? They bought Fotolia, Macromedia, Photoshop, InDesign and all the others. They have endless money and they have a lack in 3D...

4 minutes ago, Raischub said:

Adobe never developed any App by itself. The complete Bunch of Apps they call "Creative" Cloud is bought. And Adobe never made great efforts to make them familar (Path-Handles / Layers-Behavior / ... Even since they got their sheeps in the cloud, they don´t do anything that way).  So from where you are that sure, that Adobe will not buy MAXON? They bought Fotolia, Macromedia, Photoshop, InDesign and all the others. They have endless money and they have a lack in 3D...

Then why it is still MAXON owned? How come after years of same disinformation Adobe didn't buy C4D? It is either not for sale or Adobe is not interested...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

6 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Then why it is still MAXON owned? How come after years of same disinformation Adobe didn't buy C4D? It is either not for sale or Adobe is not interested...

And MAXON is owned by Nemetschek. There doesn't seem to be any reason why they would sell it.

14 minutes ago, Raischub said:

Adobe [...] bought Fotolia, Macromedia, Photoshop, InDesign and all the others. They have endless money and they have a lack in 3D...

InDesign was developed in-house, from scratch. Some people think it was a continued development based on Pagemaker, but that is not the case.

And others were developed by Adobe: Brackets, Muse, Edge Animate, mobile versions, and so on.

3 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

Seems that there are mixed opinions about the upcoming change. I don't know much about the intricate details regarding how MSA customers or perpetual license owners will benefit from this change, however, I would advise that we all wait for proper detailed information before starting bashing :)

Now, there are couple of things to be aware of:

1. Now you are able to buy C4D easily from anywhere. That was not the case before and is something that didn't affect people in the West much, but it sure did elsewhere. I recall that buying through my local distributor was a nightmare, with much larger price and long waiting period. That is gone now

That is true, I could buy it from Sweden for example as I did Redshift and I get lower price to pay in the start since I get it without tax. They pay tax for that purchase.

2. Subscription will obviously provide the opportunity for much more people that are interested in C4D to actually use it on shorter term basis if needed.

3. The cost of C4D is much lower now, isn't it?

I'm not sure that is true for long-term customers, but lets wait and see what MAXON have in mind for us.

I don't really mind not owning perpetual license as long as my costs using software over the year are reasonable. Some of us do not earn over 100k per year so "Indie" option would be something to conciser and would be welcomed much more than this vague presented scheme.

4. Bundling all editions into one version is huge benefit. This coupled with online shop, online help, online delivery simply leads to more development time for features

That is true.

5. Perpetual license is still here and you still have the option to own it?

But not as much benefits as when we payed for MSA (no Cineversity for example)

6. Redshift bundle is really good offer

That I doubt also for us with RS license, as long as RS maintenance extension stay at 214€, but with following trend I suspect that will change also.

For 214€ I get full RS package; standalone and all plugins if I ever decide to use it with another DCC. RS in the bundle is only limited to C4D and it cost more annually.

7. I am bit tired of it, and answered it in topics and many private messages - Adobe is not buying C4D

I think that Adobe buying C4D is not the problem in this moment. Problem is that we starting to see similar pattern in pricing policy.

I think this was huge mistake to announce it like this without considering customers supporting MAXON for years.

It may sound good for new customers but we don't know where we stand now so it is very very frustrating in this moment, I hope I'm wrong and there will be some benefits for old customers but in this moment as I can see that lot of old C4D users are not sure what will be transition period/costs for us.

3 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

There were many signals in the past, that Adobe is getting warm with MAXON (Bridge AE / C4D...) Now we have a nice Ex-Adobe CEO sitting in the Head-Quarter at MAXON. We can see, that there are the same efforts to make users dependend (How long will teher be perpetual licenses?). We can see smaler Feature Lists with Updaes (Version 21 seems to have none, without a new licensing model). I think it´s no decession from one day to the next for Adobe to buy... Again I bet my A... that Cinema will be under Pirates, Sorry, Adobes flag in a foreseeable future. There whre many companies, which were not for rent in the past (Fotolia for example...). But: Adobe was a monopolist, when they forced their users into this "Creative" cloud. MAXON is not. Pricing is near the competitors now. The Advatage of perpetual is a question of time (if it´s not already gone - I don´t know how to read MAXONs Explanations exactly - what´s after 2 years?). If C4D will be C4D in the future - Time will tell. But your arguments don´t convince me. May be Autodesk will be my future...

5 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

InDesign was developed in-house, from scratch. Some people think it was a continued development based on Pagemaker, but that is not the case.

And others were developed by Adobe: Brackets, Muse, Edge Animate, mobile versions, and so on.

InDesign was developed by Aldus and not by Adobe. It had the Name K2 before Adobe... (> Wikipedia)

And are Brackets / Muse / Edge Anmiate the Top Dogs of Adobe???

2 minutes ago, Raischub said:

InDesign was developed by Aldus and not by Adobe. It had the Name K2 before Adobe... (> Wikipedia)

And are Brackets / Muse / Edge Anmiate the Top Dogs of Adobe???

Oops! I stand corrected. Still, even if InDesign was started by Aldus, as far as I can tell the majority of the software was developed in Adobe hands. Even version 1 was finished by Adobe. And version 1 was unusable for professional work.

Aside from this, software like Photoshop and Illustrator have seen so much continued development under Adobe, it is questionable whether it matters whether they acquired the software so long ago. Photoshop was acquired in the first half of the nineties, I believe. Can't really compare that version with the current one and still state that Adobe only relies on buying out other companies.

As for certain Adobe software being top dog, or not: doesn't matter in the light of refuting your comment that all software Adobe market(s)(ed) was acquired - that is just not the case. They continue to create new software, as well as buying software such as Substance.

Just saying it is not a black-and-white situation.

5 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

As for certain Adobe software being top dog, or not: doesn't matter in the light of refuting your comment that all software Adobe market(s)(ed) was acquired - that is just not the case. They continue to create new software, as well as buying software such as Substance.

Truley Adobe developed smaler Apps on their own. They started with the development of Fonts.
But all the TopDogs, all what made Adobe great was not developed by Adobe. I think, most of us know them because of PS, AE, InDes, Illustrator or Flash. And all of these were not developed InHouse. Yes, there were new features (also becuase in most cases Adobe bought the complete Software-Houses), but since they established their "Cloud" - these features get less and less with all the updates. Why should they develop when they get their money anyway (and usersdon´t have to decide if this upgrade is worth the price)?

39 minutes ago, Raischub said:

No it's Pagemaker that was developped by Aldus and bought by Adobe.  Indesign was released 5 years later. 

I'm personally quite glad for the new subscription option and the versions simplification is long overdue but they should probably also release a indie version like the competition. That said I'm sure it's a good under-the-hood release but it's more a .5 version like MAXON accustomed us every two years.

Adobe's entire universe is based on their development of the Postscript language. That is was started the desktop publishing revolution, fonts and scalable graphics. The rest is mostly to get Postscript used in every graphics shop.

At least that's my fuzzy recollection from 1989.