Jump to content

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions


cinomadic

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Raischub said:

But all the TopDogs, all what made Adobe great was not developed by Adobe. I think, most of us know them because of PS, AE, InDes, Illustrator or Flash. And all of these were not developed InHouse. Yes, there were new features (also becuase in most cases Adobe bought the complete Software-Houses), but since they established their "Cloud" - these features get less and less with all the updates. Why should they develop when they get their money anyway (and usersdon´t have to decide if this upgrade is worth the price)?

 

So you would argue that Photoshop and InDesign were not developed by Adobe? Perhaps not the very first version, but the majority of the functionality was developed by Adobe.

 

It's not as if Photoshop v1 hasn't seen any development since 1990.

 

So in my view by far the most of development of Photoshop and InDesign was done in-house by Adobe. Same for Illustrator. These applications have not suddenly stopped being worked on when Adobe acquired them. Quite the opposite.

 

Now, whether the advent of the 'cloud' and subscriptions have done them any good? I agree with you that development has stagnated and lagged since then.

Link to post
  • Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All,   This is my first time at Siggraph in a long time!  Last year I had just started at MAXON and it was too late to attend.  I am extremely excited to be going back to Siggraph and wit

First time post on a forum but felt the need to. Happy user since R10 Studio with investment in most plug-ins for the software. (Over $20,000 NZ Dollars spent in that time.) Just a hobbyist with no in

I've been a MAXON / C4D customer for 19 years  -  and I couldn't agree more.   It seems MAXON are now quite willing to penalise those with Studio MSA  - who are much more likely to be locked

Posted Images

 I really hope with the Subscription Model that MAXON will be releasing Monthly updates with Tweaks and new features.

they no longer need to wait 12 months between releases. which is great.

 

Looking forward to seeing R21.1 in October and R22.2 in November etc.

MAXON also start using a Feature Voting system for your users to submit requests and have other vote them so the most popular features get developer resources

Link to post

I was very unhappy yesterday with both the R21 release and MAXON's announcements regarding licensing. Today I choose to see the positives:

 

-I’m about to save some money. The money that MAXON would have received will stay in my pocket.

-Get to learn new things and expand my toolset w/a renewed focus on Unity and a fresh focus on Blender. No hurry learning Blender though, as…

-I will continue to enjoy the R20 that I purchased and won’t have to spend hours this fall (and more dollars) fussing with rebuilding my plugin library

-Down the road if a new version of c4d is so compelling that it compensates for my distaste for subscriptions, I can always course correct.

 

Lemonade from Lemons. I’m not going to fuss over this, or try to persuade anyone else. I won’t be bitter, or make declarations. Just act appropriately for me.

Link to post

From what I'm seeing ... not everybody is happy with these news. I wonder how MAXON will reply. If nothing changes, then they are on an Adobe/Autodesk path and we shouldn't expect that. 

 

In any case, interesting times ahead.

Link to post
5 minutes ago, MauricioPC said:

From what I'm seeing ... not everybody is happy with these news. I wonder how MAXON will reply. If nothing changes, then they are on an Adobe/Autodesk path and we shouldn't expect that. 

 

In any case, interesting times ahead.

MAXON leadership did the math. They knew they would offend and lose some users. They also calculated that they'd gain more than they lose. Clearly they want to push all their users into a subscription, which doesn't work for me. They made a business decision. I need to make mine.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Icecaveman said:

I was very unhappy yesterday with both the R21 release and MAXON's announcements regarding licensing. Today I choose to see the positives:

 

-I’m about to save some money. The money that MAXON would have received will stay in my pocket.

-Get to learn new things and expand my toolset w/a renewed focus on Unity and a fresh focus on Blender. No hurry learning Blender though, as…

-I will continue to enjoy the R20 that I purchased and won’t have to spend hours this fall (and more dollars) fussing with rebuilding my plugin library

-Down the road if a new version of c4d is so compelling that it compensates for my distaste for subscriptions, I can always course correct.

 

Lemonade from Lemons. I’m not going to fuss over this, or try to persuade anyone else. I won’t be bitter, or make declarations. Just act appropriately for me.

pretty sure it won't be long until you decide to give r21 a spin, and also pretty sure you'll love it.  for me it's the best release in years, it affects my daily work much more significantly than r20. and not just for character dudes like me, everyone who does any kind of animation will love it, and copy and paste polys may sound trivial, but think about  how often you will use it compared to let's say volumes. sure, it's all not as fancy, but it has so much more practical use.

 

Link to post

Okay, just to be fair - I have heard the endless "under the hood" improvements argument. Can someone who is running r21 make a boole subtract from 2 complex (ugly) meshes, then "make editable" then put it in a SubDivision surface object, then make that editable  and show the result so I can see if the polygons created are any better? Include the originals in the file so i can do the same boole operation in r20 and see if there is any difference in the meshes at all. If there is no difference, the core is the same old core and I'll hold off installing r21. 

 

Here is a loft and a sweep, booled and then put in a subdivision from r20. Heinous!

BOOLE TEST r20 BooleSubtract in SubD result.jpg

Link to post
8 minutes ago, renegade said:

Okay, just to be fair - I have heard the endless "under the hood" improvements argument. Can someone who is running r21 make a boole subtract from 2 complex (ugly) meshes, then "make editable" then put it in a SubDivision surface object, then make that editable  and show the result so I can see if the polygons created are any better? Include the originals in the file so i can do the same boole operation in r20 and see if there is any difference in the meshes at all. If there is no difference, the core is the same old core and I'll hold off installing r21. 

 

Here is a loft and a sweep, booled and then put in a subdivision from r20. Heinous!

BOOLE TEST r20 BooleSubtract in SubD result.jpg

did you read anything about boole object improvements in the feature list? no? there you go, case closed.  just because you still aren‘t able to get away with booles in any situation doesn‘t make it a bad release.

Link to post

oh, and btw, what you are trying  to do there can be done with volumes , and volumes got caching now, so the process IS somewhat faster.

 

and it has nothing to do with „under the hood“ a faster timeline is the most essential thing for every animator out there. and this was requested for years by lots of people.

Link to post
20 minutes ago, renegade said:

Okay, just to be fair - I have heard the endless "under the hood" improvements argument. Can someone who is running r21 make a boole subtract from 2 complex (ugly) meshes, then "make editable" then put it in a SubDivision surface object, then make that editable  and show the result so I can see if the polygons created are any better?

 

The 'Boole Improvement' you must be referring to was the Volume Builder, which effectively replaced it in R20. But it still has some uses and legacy etc, so the original Boole remains. Nobody said that got updated in R20 or R21 ! 

 

CBR

Link to post

I payed 660€/year for MSA till now. 

I the future will be 714€/year for subscription. 

Is there any advantage from that subscription? Am i missing something? 

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Lumpi said:

I payed 660€/year for MSA till now. 

I the future will be 714€/year for subscription. 

Is there any advantage from that subscription? Am i missing something? 

 

more frequent updates are to be expected. no one knows how many throughout a year though up to this point.

Link to post
  • Igor changed the title to Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions
  • Hrvoje unpinned this topic
  • Hrvoje pinned this topic
  • Hrvoje unfeatured this topic
  • Hrvoje featured this topic
  • Hrvoje locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...