Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

Will be watching on c4dlive too. Really looking forward to it. 

Im very new to the C4D world but Siggraph is taking place near my house -- I really dont have the budget for a more inclusive pass and was curious if any of y'all have been before, and if so if it's worth going with just the $50 Exhibits pass. It's so much cheaper than the other passes to the point where im curious if its so limited that it might not even be worth going with it at all. I dont know anything about the conference so very curious!

• Topic Author
  • @Sam Waldow

Hi Sam!
    Good news: you don't need to pay the $50. MAXON is providing a free Exhibit pass with the promo code MAXON19. That's how I'm planning to visit. I used that savings to buy a ticket to the Computer Animation Festival ($50), which is Monday and, in my opinion, highly worth it. You get to see a showcase of all the latest shorts and VFX breakdowns from studios all over the world. I saw many of the Disney & Pixar shorts here (as well as some other extraordinary ones by independent studios). The vibe is very fun and they program the best computer animation in the world.

I have been to SIGGRAPH three times prior to this and MAXON provides full days of talks from industry professionals from Tuesday to Thursday. You could spend all day at the MAXON booth. The talks in the past have been pretty VFX/motion graphics-heavy (I would prefer more character animation talks and it seems like there are more of them this year), but I have learned loads of good tricks and tips for managing projects, workflows, and demos of what Cinema can do. It's also when Cinema 4D releases its latest version, so you learn about the new features and hear product announcements.

The rest of the conference is a mixed bag: sometimes you get awesome panels from filmmakers, but a LOT of the conference is for the technical achievements in movies (WETA, Double Negative, etc.). The solutions are way over my head and you can quickly find yourself in the wrong room. :lol: I think an Exhibits pass and Computer Animation Festival will be very satisfying for me...I can skip the rest with no problem (I'll go to CTNX for the Animation Filmmaker Panels). You can download the SIGGRAPH 2019 app to see what all the Exhibits pass gets you (Opening Ceremony, Appy Hour, Exhibits, & Frontiers Talks).

As for if it's worth going at all: we Cinema 4D users are a pocket within the CG world and I think it's nice to meet "birds of a feather." If you have any really particular questions, you can talk to experts after they do their talks. In years prior, being able to talk with Tim Clapham, Nick Campbell, Chris Schmidt, etc. has been great - getting to see live demos from very able Cinema users and to thank them for their contributions to our community.

If money's tight, though, C4Dlive is all of the content (and you can be choosier about which ones you watch), but you don't get any of the networking or excitement around the conference. Hope to see you there!

I do hope we see more financial options for Cinema. Would love to get back in the Cinema train. :)

Not sure, but as Dave McGavran posted in this thread, I have to ask "Is that the first time MAXON's CEO has not only visited the forum but actually posted on it?"

If so, that is a welcome change!  The other welcome (and highly anticipated) changes "may" be announced tomorrow if this email I received from MAXON is any indication:

1192417565_C4Dforthewholeworld.thumb.JPG.e5a2d944c783450a9ebf43f93a3cd253.JPG

So...a lost day of productivity for me tomorrow as I listen to this news.   R20 was such a tremendous release, it will be a tough act to follow so I am not hoping for much with R21.  But, if R21 is going to be announced then my "safe bet" on new features will be that the material node editor will be propagated to Xpresso as well, more field modifiers will be added, and more material nodes will be added (building on their acquisition of Redshift).    What remains a mystery for me is if Redshift becomes a standard part of Studio. We will have to wait and see.

Welcome additions that I have always hoped for: new symmetry tool.  That would be nice.  Give me this and R21 is a success.  I told you my expectations are low.

Long shots:  Native fluid simulation.   X-Particles will be tough to beat but C4D needs a native fluid simulation solution given its position in the marketplace and, as fluids simulation is becoming more common in motion graphics, its absence is becoming noticeable.

Really long shots:  Complete and seamless two way exchange between C4D and Substance Designer and Substance Painter...like one click easy.  Now, Adobe did purchase Allgorithmic and Mr. McGavran does have some connection with Adobe....sooo.....maybe this is not as much of a long shot as I would think.   Quite possibly, complete integration of Substance Designer/Painter and C4D may have been in the works for a while - maybe even before Mr. McGarvan's arrival to MAXON (or what even opened the door for his new role as it's CEO).   If that is true, it could explain why we have yet to see a complete rewrite of Bodypaint.  Isn't speculation fun?!!

Really....Really long shots:  MAXON acquires Insydium.   Yeah....that would be interesting and it would plug a number of holes with C4D (lack of fluids, aging TP and Pyrocluster module, and a GPU renderer  in Cycles 4D should Redshift still remain a stand alone product).  Now Insydium is doing great on its own, so it is a long shot...but everyone has their price and the chaps at Insydium are, if anything, very smart!  They would know a good deal when they see one.

But one thing is sure....we will hear something about C4D's future direction tomorrow.

Whatever comes, I am very happy with the way things are going so it is all a big plus to me.

Dave

P.S.  Note the play on words with R21.  "safe bets', "long shots'!  The card game "21" is a gambling game after all.

4 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is that the first time MAXON's CEO has not only visited the forum but actually posted on it?"

I think yes! :)

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

Yeah.. I can' wait to see.  I'm a little nervous about this "3-D for the whole world".  I probably would have been better off sticking with R17 (and keeping money for a much needed new PC) but R20 was so awesome I spent all my savings to upgrade and am on the MSA.  MAXON already sent me an invoice to renew it... which would be silly to do before tomorrow.  I know pricing changes would end up being good for C4D and everybody, but if it happens it will be interesting if there is any sort of benefits for their past loyal customers or how the transition happens.

5 minutes ago, stoecklem said:

Yeah.. I can' wait to see.  I'm a little nervous about this "3-D for the whole world".  I probably would have been better off sticking with R17 (and keeping money for a much needed new PC) but R20 was so awesome I spent all my savings to upgrade and am on the MSA.  MAXON already sent me an invoice to renew it... which would be silly to do before tomorrow.  I know pricing changes would end up being good for C4D and everybody, but if it happens it will be interesting if there is any sort of benefits for their past loyal customers or how the transition happens.

So did I miss something concerning MAXON actually dropping their prices?  Honestly, I don't see that happening -- I mean something has to pay for the Redshift acquisition and I do see opportunities where an acquisition strategy in key areas makes sense.

For DCC companies to keep up with the pace of technological change internally is becoming more and more of an investment problem.  The pace of change the and the technical challenges  these changes represent increase each year.  You can meet those challenges with internal hiring (which MAXON has been doing) but at some point, you have slow that down given the costs.   Acquisitions in key areas that are not core to MAXON's competitive advantage may be a faster/cheaper/better way of keeping up.  If so, I don't foresee a price cut unless MAXON's market share is just so glorious that it keeps them cash rich.

So....did I miss something where there was actual discussion from MAXON concerning a price "cut" --- or just new pricing "models" (they are rarely the same for everyone....some people are going to end up paying more)?

Dave

2 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

So did I miss something concerning MAXON actually dropping their prices?  Honestly, I don't see that happening -- I mean something has to pay for the Redshift acquisition and I do see opportunities where an acquisition strategy in key areas makes sense.

For DCC companies to keep up with the pace of technological change internally is becoming more and more of an investment problem.  The pace of change the and the technical challenges  these changes represent increase each year.  You can meet those challenges with internal hiring (which MAXON has been doing) but at some point, you have slow that down given the costs.   Acquisitions in key areas that are not core to MAXON's competitive advantage may be a faster/cheaper/better way of keeping up.  If so, I don't foresee a price cut unless MAXON's market share is just so glorious that it keeps them cash rich.

So....did I miss something where there was actual discussion from MAXON concerning a price "cut" --- or just new pricing "models" (they are rarely the same for everyone....some people are going to end up paying more)?

Dave

I don't think that they are going to drop their prices.

What would be AMAZING is an indie edition like many other softwares have. Or something completely free like what Houdini has, just for personal use. Or even an alternative subscription model.

There's probably A LOT of people that use C4D for their own personal work and in their freetime, and let's be honest now, not even close to all of them shell out thousands of dollars for that. So they just pirate it. But at some point you might want to go commercial, make it your job. And then you have this insanely steep price for Studio, which is, in my opinion, the only real C4D version which is worth it. This is where a revenue limited version would help immensely. To make that jump into the commercial space without fear of losing thousands of dollars on something that might not work out.

Blender is always there yes, but if you start with a software at some point it's increadibly tedious to switch.

20 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is that the first time MAXON's CEO has not only visited the forum but actually posted on it?"

Seems to be different style CEO than before

My only hope MAXON is not bought by Adobe, that would be a sad day...

4 minutes ago, lieber said:

My only hope MAXON is not bought by Adobe, that would be a sad day...

No need to wait for that answer, I can give you one and the answer is no, Maxon is not for sale...at least not in the near future, but as always, things could change, but so far, this not going to happen, so feel free to celebrate! :P

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

Good morning everyone..   Off to make first coffee!