Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

The 'Boole Improvement' you must be referring to was the Volume Builder, which effectively replaced it in R20. But it still has some uses and legacy etc, so the original Boole remains. Nobody said that got updated in R20 or R21 ! 

CBR

I was just checking - and was truly hopeful (actually) - volume builder is very nice and useful, but sometimes booles allow a simpler mesh and will bring over polygon selection tags that speed up assigning textures to the various intersections. Just had this issue building a series of blood vessels with layered interior walls (cross section). With volume builder I had a nice mesh but only as a 'whole' object.

23 minutes ago, renegade said:

Okay, just to be fair - I have heard the endless "under the hood" improvements argument. Can someone who is running r21 make a boole subtract from 2 complex (ugly) meshes, then "make editable" then put it in a SubDivision surface object, then make that editable  and show the result so I can see if the polygons created are any better? Include the originals in the file so i can do the same boole operation in r20 and see if there is any difference in the meshes at all. If there is no difference, the core is the same old core and I'll hold off installing r21. 

Here is a loft and a sweep, booled and then put in a subdivision from r20. Heinous!

Volumes Dude.  Its amazing.  

Or the plugin Meshboolean is really good if you don't like the volume mesh output. 

23 minutes ago, prowl said:

Volumes Dude.  Its amazing.  

Or the plugin Meshboolean is really good if you don't like the volume mesh output. 

You are right! Volumes are amazing - was very happy with that when it came out in r20.

r21 has made me crabby! Ha! I should honestly just get back to work, but I do think MAXON needs to know that they have made some of their longtime, loyal  users very unhappy with this 'whole real total world' strategy.

1 hour ago, renegade said:

I was just checking - and was truly hopeful (actually) - volume builder is very nice and useful, but sometimes booles allow a simpler mesh and will bring over polygon selection tags that speed up assigning textures to the various intersections. Just had this issue building a series of blood vessels with layered interior walls (cross section). With volume builder I had a nice mesh but only as a 'whole' object.

We shouldn't ever forget that the Boole is, at its root, a lazy, but surprisingly helpful cheat for people who can't yet model properly. It allows people to disregard (or be unaware of) the rules of modelling, and sometimes they will be lucky and it will work ! And it has valid uses in animation of course. But of course any tool that treats modelling rules with such flagrant disregard cannot by definition be 100% reliable so there will always be an element of luck to using one  !

It is never going to be a great idea to use a Boole when you need a properly decent mesh unless you know how to (and are prepared to spend the time) cleaning up after using one. I use the current one quite alot myself for certain tasks, and find its operation to be totally fine when used within certain parameters and in rather specific ways. I don't think you could upgrade it without rewriting it from scratch, and with the VB able to do the boolean operations with all quad topology and nicer transitions and results, there's no real incentive to try... 

Yet I must support its continued inclusion. Not only for the help it continues to offer me with my advanced modelling endeavours, but because there are still a fair few circumstances where it is useful to everyone for speed reasons and for the few things that still can't be done any other way.  

CBR 

3 hours ago, Raischub said:

InDesign was developed by Aldus and not by Adobe. It had the Name K2 before Adobe... (> Wikipedia)

And are Brackets / Muse / Edge Anmiate the Top Dogs of Adobe???

Adobe Muse was dropped last year... which proves your point. https://helpx.adobe.com/muse/kb/adobe-muse-end-of-service.html

Goodbye MAXON.
When Adobe introduced software rental, I decided to keep using my perpetual Creative Suite licences but wait for other options to emerge. Over six years, Serif's Affinity platform rolled out compelling alternatives to the three Adobe programs I use (Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign). So I've switched and never looked back.
For my needs, Blender 2.8 with its improved UI will do. No need for a Blender Cineversity, since so many tutorials and affordable courses are available online

I got this from MAXON when I asked about my strategy moving forward. I'm in my Studio and Cineversity Prime almost a year. The bit about still owning the perpetual is interesting.

"If you renew your MSA by August 31st you’ll get R21 automatically when it comes out in September. You can also get a reduced price on Subscription should you choose to convert. The sooner in the MSA period you convert, the cheaper buying subscription will be. Once you convert you will still own the Perpetual license in addition to Subscription. The Subscription version will include exclusive updates."

Perpetual R20 to Perpetual R21 will be $999. 

I sent my query to US MAXON support so don't know what the Euro price will be. I'd imagine it's a bit more expensive than paying subscription?

They said the prices for moving from a perpetual to subscription aren't published yet, which is what I asked for.

My MSA is until next March so am in no rush. When the prices are published will decide which option to go for. I'm on Octane monthly sub so hope there's a nice discount for the Red Shift bundle.

Some quality presentations today. Loved James Ramirez Venom and Spiderverse demos! :wow:

I wonder how many of the R21 features were kicked ahead to (for example) R21.1 and R21.5 etc etc. If some chunky things appear in those it’ll make R21 itself a bigger release, and they must have a few things in the works. 

19 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

Perpetual R20 to Perpetual R21 will be $999. 

Well that’s horrendous and cynically designed to make you rent. I think I’m gonna stick where I am at r20.

In some thread (here or cgtalk) Rich said something like:

...if you have Prime version and have active MSA, you´ll get R21  perpetual for MSA fee (what you infact paid when you bought MSA for Prime)

This is how I understand his words...

Clarity would help, I called MAXON Uk this morning and was told I would be eligible to get r21 (my msa runs out at end of August) they said to wait on an email for clarification. I hope it’s not £1k...tbh I’m satisfied with the tools I have and always think before upgrading about how I should learn more of the included tools before being wowed by glittery stuff in updates.....maybe I’m being forced do that now lol.

a couple of years learning what I have will be good n then maybe rent or see what happens.

Sorry to be venting on here, genuinely not usual for me and I have never posted on here until yesterday. Xx