Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

So this is where I'm at. My Studio MSA expires at the end of August so I will see what offer is being made to the likes of me first before being hasty.

However, as my perpetual license is practically worthless to anyone else apart from me I can get off the upgrade bus without fear.

I can spend my money on a redshift licence and xparticles and get much more new functionality.

If MAXON then decide to release the headline features people were expecting to subscription customers over the next 12 months and I feel like I want in I can then sub.

I then have the latest version but have the solid R20 and tools as a fall back if needed. Not fearing falling out the upgrade loop is pretty nice imo

45 minutes ago, Craig Maret said:

Clarity would help, I called MAXON Uk this morning and was told I would be eligible to get r21 (my msa runs out at end of August) they said to wait on an email for clarification. I hope it’s not £1k...tbh I’m satisfied with the tools I have and always think before upgrading about how I should learn more of the included tools before being wowed by glittery stuff in updates.....maybe I’m being forced do that now lol.

a couple of years learning what I have will be good n then maybe rent or see what happens.

Sorry to be venting on here, genuinely not usual for me and I have never posted on here until yesterday. Xx

Can you clarify exactly what you are eligible to get?  My MSA also expires at the end of August....so from the FAQ page, I "think" you can you still get R21 perpetual at the current MSA price.  Can you  confirm this?

Also, not really sure what this means

"If you renew your MSA by August 31st you’ll get R21 automatically when it comes out in September. You can also get a reduced price on Subscription should you choose to convert. The sooner in the MSA period you convert, the cheaper buying subscription will be. Once you convert you will still own the Perpetual license in addition to Subscription. The Subscription version will include exclusive updates."

So I purchase R21 at the existing MSA price and then I purchase a subscription?  Why would I do this?  On the promise that they will release mid-year updates?  This really makes no sense as it requires me to pay on the promise of a mid-year release.  Never a good way to do business as things can happen that could prevent delivery (which leads to all sorts of nasty things....just look at e-on).  So this is not smart...unless MAXON is sandbagging the feature set in R21 to insure that they can deliver something additional this year.  If that is true, then the trust I once had in MAXON is further eroded. 

Honestly, please someone at MAXON provide some clarity and examples for what options each Prime, Broadcast and Studio MSA owner will have in terms of cost, service, etc.  Why is this such a mystery?  Be upfront and honest.  Tell us what's planned for mid-year release.  Let us decide how we proceed.  Also, all the hints at discounts are getting tiring.  Again, why the mystery....I thought you folks had a better handle on your business such that pricing and discount decisions would be fully made before you announced....not after.  Again, my disappointment grows daily. 

Also, will all charges be in Euro's because right now that is all the pricing page shows (the US shop has nothing listed yet). Will I also be paying exchange rate fees?  This just get's better and better.

MAXON...get your act together.

Dave

P.S. So exactly how improved is that Blender interface?

This sounds a little ominous: 'Please note, MAXON may retire releases which are 3 years old. Once retired, a release will no longer be available for download from the MAXON User Portal and will not be eligible for support.' Similar to the policy Adobe has taken, although that is 2 prior releases rather than 3.

I really think that R21 or R22 will be the last perpetual licence before going subscription only. If they 'retire' a release that you've got a perpetual licence for, does that mean you can't obtain the installer for it anymore? 

1 hour ago, BoganTW said:

I wonder how many of the R21 features were kicked ahead to (for example) R21.1 and R21.5 etc etc. If some chunky things appear in those it’ll make R21 itself a bigger release, and they must have a few things in the works. 

None. If a feature is ready to ship, we ship it.

21 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Can you clarify exactly what you are eligible to get?  My MSA also expires at the end of August....so from the FAQ page, I "think" you can you still get R21 perpetual at the current MSA price.  Can you  confirm this?

Yes. You can renew your existing MSA until the end of August, and anyone with an active MSA at the beginning of September will receive R21 perpetual.

So I purchase R21 at the existing MSA price and then I purchase a subscription?  Why would I do this? 

Well for instance you may want to take advantage of the Redshift bundle.

Honestly, please someone at MAXON provide some clarity and examples for what options each Prime, Broadcast and Studio MSA owner will have in terms of cost, service, etc.  Why is this such a mystery?  Be upfront and honest.  Tell us what's planned for mid-year release.  Let us decide how we proceed.  Also, all the hints at discounts are getting tiring.  Again, why the mystery....I thought you folks had a better handle on your business such that pricing and discount decisions would be fully made before you announced....not after.  Again, my disappointment grows daily. 

Honestly trying. Part of the problem is that those of us who can address your questions are busy at Siggraph. I've been doing my best to answer questions between meetings, but admittedly I spent most of the day yesterday in some other online venues. We're not intentionally keeping things a mystery, but we ARE intentionally trying to keep the information as simple as possible - both for potential new users and existing users. One of our chief aims here was to simplify the options, but indeed there's lots of items on the price list to try to address many of the situations people are bringing up. Most of those though (especially the MSA-Sub conversion) require some very detailed explanation which depends on your current edition, end date and conversion date. We want to ensure the explanation is clear, which is why we're encouraging folks to contact sales for details.

Also, will all charges be in Euro's because right now that is all the pricing page shows (the US shop has nothing listed yet). Will I also be paying exchange rate fees?  This just get's better and better.

US pricing has been there all along. It should appear by default if you switch the website to "American English" - otherwise there's a "Change Region" button in the bottom left to choose your specific region and currency. Actually we've improved things here - there's many more currencies in which we're offering a fixed price - like Canadian dollars.

@everfresh I'm pretty keen on any character workflow updates. I haven't had a chance to try out the demo, but what has changed about the weighting? Is it a new, more accurate auto weighting algorithm? The Mixamo rig sounds pretty helpful too. 

11 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

@everfresh I'm pretty keen on any character workflow updates. I haven't had a chance to try out the demo, but what has changed about the weighting? Is it a new, more accurate auto weighting algorithm? The Mixamo rig sounds pretty helpful too. 

Yes, they added new auto weighting algorithms. Heat mapping and Body Glow mapping (which is a much improved Heat mapping). Now Auto weighting in Cinema 4D is as good, if not better than Maya. 

For me that was actually the best part of R21 so far. 

It was pretty ridiculous not having Heat map, at least, in Cinema 4D, considering this is based on open-source code. Same thing with Body Glow. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

new auto weights are very good. we have heat map algorithm now as well as volumetric. also you can combine certain methods and also load in custom algorithms. check this twitter post: 

I'm currently based in Ireland the 'local' sales is UK so prices are in GBP rather than Euro. Switched my US R14/15 license to R20 Ireland/UK at upgrade.

My understanding from the announcement was to go through a new  portal to see the options for either buying a perpetual or switching from a perpetual over to subscription.

From what's being posted here it sounds like I need to contact UK sales to know what my pricing options are. Is that correct?

1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

P.S. So exactly how improved is that Blender interface?

Training series here:

1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I actually don’t mind the subscription. In fact it may save money. I would have to pay for MSA every year to keep current even if I didn’t think the upgrade was worth it because skipping an upgrade was more expensive. Now I can keep my perpetual and skip the upgrade until one is worth while 2 maybe 3 years from now then switch to the subscription but I will always have R20 to fall back on. If I want to take a pause from the subscription and then pick it back up if needed.