Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

1 hour ago, Raischub said:

I´m looking for the logic?

Good luck finding any. Our studio rented a BOXX machine at a total cumulative cost of about £9000 because they it would come under the OPEX budget rather than CAPEX and didnt want to pay the £3500 up front it would cost to buy one. This kind of 'thinking' is pretty common in the byzantine structures of big companies, as far as I can see.

Ach, this is Creative Cloud all over again. A year or two of perpetual, probably forcing up the price to frogmarch us to the pay monthly, end up owning nothing business model. The plaintive cries I'm hearing are kind of the same as far as I remember with Creative Cloud (and I'd be surprised if they are wrong) but I'm guessing those unhappy voices have been weighed in terms of profit/loss and decided already. CC at work, CS6 at home for me (I'll never rent software that I'll never own), didn't think I'd end up hating MAXON as much as I do Adobe, but I guess we'll see.

Hurrah for the shareholders, too bad for the creative industry.

Where does MAXON say R21 perpetual also calls home every 14 days?

On CGTalk, Rick Barrett posted this: 

There’s no limit on installations anymore, and perpetual licenses can be signed in and out just like subscription licenses - you have the same MyMaxon account, the same portal and the same license management features. In fact, enabling you to release a license and sign in elsewhere is the main reason the perpetual license connects to the server periodically.

Personally, I can’t imagine being without internet for 14 days, and if I was truly offline for that length of time I doubt I’d be using Cinema 4D. We have options for folks that have to be offline for security reasons, but I’m really glad I’m not one of them.

Tbh the 14 day check in doesn’t bother me.

i would want clarification on ‘perpetual’ I saw talk of ‘old’ versions being put to bed. That’s a slippery thing.

Re Macgyver’s comment ‘this won’t work with MAXON’s model’ a couple of pages back re annual rates vs monthly.

MAXON can do whatever they want, including doing what Adobe did. The CC rate I was offered - it was 40% off, from memory - wasn’t part of Adobe’s standard rates - it was advertised as a special (probably limited time) offer to get people to resubsctibe. When I ignored the offer due to finances they kept resending me the same offer by email every few months until I was cashed up enough to jump back on. And when I did, updating my CC apps to the latest version took barely an hour while I made a sandwich and coffee and was ready once I finished my meal.

MAXON have had sales in the past, and they had a big ‘restart your engines’ sale just a few months back. They’re not going to forget how sales and special offers work just because they’re now offering subscriptions and they’ve listed various rates on day one.

People saying ‘we all hate subscriptions’ aren’t speaking for everyone here. I paid the better part of two grand locally for a boxed version of CS4 at the end of 2008 and really wish a sub had been available back then. I would have saved more than half that cost and could have put the savings towards buying a new computer.

Someone else mentioned that the changes indicate that MAXON are ‘looking for new customers’. To be honest, I’d hate to imagine where they would be in five years time if the developers of every other 3D app was doing exactly that, and they, for whatever reason, weren’t.

Currently my plan is to use my MSA to upgrade to R21 (for the character tool updates) and sit on R21 for a few years, but that means my R20 licence no longer works right? Just a little worried that, with R21 being part of the new subscription model, it may be retired in 2-3 years. MAXON need to clarify whether retiring a version will kill just the subscription versions of the software or the perpetual versions too. 

15 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

Currently my plan is to use my MSA to upgrade to R21 (for the character tool updates) and sit on R21 for a few years, but that means my R20 licence no longer works right? Just a little worried that, with R21 being part of the new subscription model, it may be retired in 2-3 years. MAXON need to clarify whether retiring a version will kill just the subscription versions of the software or the perpetual versions too. 

why wouldn’t your r20 license not work anymore?

19 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

....but that means my R20 licence no longer works right?....

R20 has a serial number - it will work forever, anywhere. Even after a zombie apocalypse or a major internet outage! ::):

your r20 works with the old licensing system, it doesn‘t phone home, it will work forever, no matter if you choose to go sub or perpetual. i guess in the future it will just be similar to other sub based softwares, that you can only download the most recent 2 or 3 versions, and support stops for earlier versions. just like adobe can‘t stop me from using my cs 5 or cs6 if i want or need to (i don‘t, but i could).. but i can‘t expect support if i use them. that’s all.

Ok cool, thanks. Good to know. I've been off the C4D wagon for the past 3-4 years or so, so wasn't sure how old licences work.

What bothers me the most right now is I've been considering renewing my MSA this august to get R21 perpetual.  $720 for Studio owners like me (from my usual vendor). But when I think C4D Prime owner/licensees with $250 MSA will get the exact same (Studio like) R21 license for $470 less than me, that changes my perspective. Gonna need to give MAXON a call.