Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

3 minutes ago, King of Snake said:

As far as I can tell no, your perpetual license becomes invalid once you move from that license to subscription. (See Delphis' post just above)

The R21 becomes invalid. I think the R20 remains active

Just now, hobbyist said:

The R21 becomes invalid. I think the R20 remains active

Right ok, that may be the case.

12 hours ago, Aongus said:

Goodbye MAXON.
When Adobe introduced software rental, I decided to keep using my perpetual Creative Suite licences but wait for other options to emerge. Over six years, Serif's Affinity platform rolled out compelling alternatives to the three Adobe programs I use (Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign). So I've switched and never looked back.
For my needs, Blender 2.8 with its improved UI will do. No need for a Blender Cineversity, since so many tutorials and affordable courses are available online

It´s the same with me. With the rollout of their "Creative" Cloud I stopped spending any Cent to this company. Meanwhile it are thousands of Euros, which I could spend in many other usefull applications. And I can´t see any Feature since this so called "Creative" Cloud, which is a must have. And Adobe introduced it 2012. That means: 7 years which brought no great advantage (OK - To be true: AE is faster than before). If I comprae with the last 7 years before they get cloudy - it´s a difference like day and night (there were tons of developments in all applications). I think, they knew exactly, that it would be very hard, to bring new killer-features into their mature Applications, which have reached their perfection. Things like making these Apps familiar (Same UI / Path-Handles / Layer-Behavior / ...) was never a target, Adobe had. And yes, I like Affinity also & I replaced Adobe with it in many cases. I think, they could only establish their Cloud, because they where a monopolist at that time. MAXON isn´t. And when I have a look to their new Pricing (nothing gets cheaper with it), the competition isn´t far away. And if I have to choose between MAXON and Autodesk because they are both on Subscription and the the price comes to be compareable... What do you think I choose? Also Blender becomes more and more powerfull and professional. Right.

12 hours ago, BoganTW said:

I wonder how many of the R21 features were kicked ahead to (for example) R21.1 and R21.5 etc etc. If some chunky things appear in those it’ll make R21 itself a bigger release, and they must have a few things in the works. 

That´s also the same, what Adobe did with it´s "Cloud".

5 minutes ago, Raischub said:

It´s the same with me. With the rollout of their "Creative" Cloud I stopped spending any Cent to this company. Meanwhile it are thousands of Euros, which I could spend in many other usefull applications. And I can´t see any Feature since this so called "Creative" Cloud, which is a must have. And Adobe introduced it 2012. That means: 7 years which brought no great advantage (OK - To be true: AE is faster than before). If I comprae with the last 7 years before they get cloudy - it´s a difference like day and night (there were tons of developments in all applications). I think, they knew exactly, that it would be very hard, to bring new killer-features into their mature Applications, which have reached their perfection. Things like making these Apps familiar (Same UI / Path-Handles / Layer-Behavior / ...) was never a target, Adobe had. And yes, I like Affinity also & I replaced Adobe with it in many cases. I think, they could only establish their Cloud, because they where a monopolist at that time. MAXON isn´t. And when I have a look to their new Pricing (nothing gets cheaper with it), the competition isn´t far away. And if I have to choose between MAXON and Autodesk because they are both on Subscription and the the price comes to be compareable... What do you think I choose? Also Blender becomes more and more powerfull and professional. Right.

+1

the Autodesk Indi license is a huge problem for MAXON. And to be honest. I'm a little happy about it. I understand that they want to offer a rental solution to get new customers, but it was absolutely not necessary to peeved off the old customers like that.

2 hours ago, Adrien said:

I don't even feel like watching this year...Some of the magic is gone I guess...I always took pride in choosing C4D over maya/max 10 years ago. The program was different, the company as well. The users were kind of like cool outcasts. 

There was also a sense of genuineness in MAXON but the new CEO's latest presentation was so full of marketing BS that I came to realize this era is now over. 

The program is still damn cool but the love factor is gone. 

You speak from my heart

1 hour ago, Igor said:

...Do you realize that one person is not the whole company? ...

No, I don´t think so.
But the impact of this one Marketing BS person is imense in a economy like ours.

See what Mr Shantanu Narayen has done with Adobe - Only a few developers left  under protest when he started his Cloud.

So the people under the hood are the same.

But from One Day to the Other Adobe was on a Microsoft-Level.

My opinion changed from one Moment to the other.

So - Yes, People are the same, but face of the company changes.

Till today MAXON was a company that was caring about users. Many of my proposals went into the App.

But now it´s the same like with all the others: No longterm strategy - Fast earned Money is the main target.

Once the availability of Studio / Broadcast / Prime was an advantage, so that everyone could use it - 3D for the whole world (for the poor and the rich).

Today the missing of joice is told (with marketing bushwa) us to be 3D for the whole world.

Funny.

If there wouldn´t be all that pi... off users who are affected.

As there's so much hate towards the licensing changes, I wanted to give a bit of an alternative perspective.

For me personally, the licensing changes are exactly what I hoped for. I'm currently on R20 Broadcast. Studio would have been nice, but dropping 3.5k just wasn't an option when I decided to get seriously into creating 3D stuff commercially.

I've bought an MSA for my upgrade to R21 and wanted to upgrade to Studio in 2020, which would have cost an additional €2.000. In September, I'm getting R21 with all the Studio features I've been missing for free - I'm saving 2k.

If rumors are true, I'm then going to get 2 years of upgrades (which are - at least for me - mandatory. Being on an old version isn't an option for me, due to compatibility reasons alone) for €1.000 - again - that's cheaper than the MSA would have been. 2023 onward I'm going to have to pay €700 per year - but I'm fine with that. It's really going to take some time until it's going to eat away the money I've saved from not having to upgrade to Studio.

I know people like me are the exception, I just wanted to shed some light from a more positive angle here. Yes, it would be fantastic if they offered an Indie option, but subscription based licensing is becoming the norm in the software market and it was only a question of time until MAXON would join the other companies.

Yes - feature-wise the update is weak - here's to hoping we'll get some nice features in the coming months. 

Just to keep banging on the same nail ... do it like Adobe then.

£60/month = £720/year but I need to pay up-front. Do a contract like Adobe where I can sign this but choose to pay on a monthly basis. That will enable a lot more people to join now.

I have friends in Brazil who are learning Blender and they didn't even bothered with this, because £720 is like R$ 3,500 not counting all the taxes and sh*t we have there. That's a lot of money to pay up-front instead of around R$250+ monthly. If it's 3D for the world, it needs to take into consideration the currency exchange.