Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

Also something I've been reading around the web is that the $60/month deal (annual subscription) isn't charged once per month. It's charged all at one time. So if you want the deal you still need to fork over $720 + tax immediately. If true, this isn't what is being presented. 

To use the car analogy, it's like saying your new car only costs $300/month but demanding the full $35,000 before you can drive it away.

18 minutes ago, renegade said:

If true, this isn't what is being presented. 

To use the car analogy, it's like saying your new car only costs $300/month but demanding the full $35,000 before you can drive it away.

Unfortunately this is true. It's on MAXON website: "Billed Annually".  

That's why I said in this thread that MAXON's advertising is disingenuous.  

There is no such a thing as a monthly U$59.99 subscription.

There is only a U$720 annual sub and a U$94.99 monthly sub. 

And the former works out to be 12 x $59.99 added up, or thereabouts. They’re not exactly pulling a fast one.

Chuck $59.99 into a piggy bank each month, then start your sub in September 2020 next year. You’ll get a years worth of whatever they’ve added up to the R22 release date, then another year of updates after that.

For years I’ve read posts by people unhappy that they’d ‘fallen off the MAXON train’ and were faced with steep upgrade costs because they were getting slugged a huge fee to jump from R16 to R19 or something. That’s now gone entirely, never to return, and people are still miserable.

1 hour ago, RonMedia said:

What bothers me the most right now is I've been considering renewing my MSA this august to get R21 perpetual.  $720 for Studio owners like me (from my usual vendor). But when I think C4D Prime owner/licensees with $250 MSA will get the exact same (Studio like) R21 license for $470 less than me, that changes my perspective. Gonna need to give MAXON a call.

That is true!  I never considered that.  Well....I was upset before and that realization did not help.

Honestly, MAXON better have a UNIQUE AND SIGNIFICANT discount just for Studio owners.  Give me a $470 discount on a perpetual license of Redshift that I can load on R20 seems appropriate and I might think about doing something (subscription or perpetual) after my MSA runs out at the end of the month.

Think about this recipe:

• Push out a pretty mediocre release that makes even R17 look great.
  • Offer MSA holders of Prime the same perpetual license to R21 at 1/3 of the cost of what Studio owners have to pay.
  • End the MSA program  next year and charge MORE for a perpetual license than ever before.
  • Deactivate all perpetual licenses that you have paid for in the past should you decide that you can't afford to pay that premium anymore and go with a subscription.
  • Charge me just as much for a subscription that I used to pay for the MSA, but now I don't own the software. 

Wow.  I know the good hearted MAXON people think this whole subscription program is great and that they are not Adobe, never will be Adobe and have a higher set of virtues than the corporate slime that runs Adobe.  Remember....they are for helping the whole world with 3D after all!!!

And in part, that is true.  They are all great people who are passionate about what they do and my heart goes out to them because they just don't see it.  They are not looking at this from the standpoint of the user who has to pay for this with their own money. 

If you walk through those 5 points above, they don't realize that MAXON just figured out how to steal everyone's perpetual license right out from under them.

You may disagree and your arguments can be sound, but after all the words, that is just how it feels to me.  I can't escape it.

Dave

3 hours ago, BoganTW said:

And the former works out to be 12 x $59.99 added up, or thereabouts. They’re not exactly pulling a fast one.

Yes they are.

-The announcements leading up to the show were a steaming pile of horse sh.. "For the whole world.."

-They have hiked their prices for existing customers, but claiming (lying) that it is cheaper. And you ultimately own nothing while paying more!

- By definition a monthly payment is a monthly payment, not an annual payment. True monthly payments are around $95 a pop.

3 hours ago, BoganTW said:

Actually they are. They are advertising as $59.99 MONTHLY and it is not MONTHLY. Period.

This type of false advertising is actually illegal in some countries.

The annual $720 price is not bad, it's actually a good deal.

But do not advertise as $59.99 monthly when it's not that.

2 hours ago, Rogwal said:

First time post on a forum but felt the need to. Happy user since R10 Studio with investment in most plug-ins for the software. (Over $20,000 NZ Dollars spent in that time.) Just a hobbyist with no income earned. (My choice). Was excited and looking forward to the "exciting  / industry- changing news , and got up at 4.15 AM on a cold mid-winter morning to see that MAXON had lost its heart and soul and gone done the road of so many other corporates,only interested in money. The presentation was amateurish ..(didnt even start on time )..... and it didnt get better for those of us with a long term loyalty / commitment to C4D. Reluctantly spent $1200 renewing my MSA two weeks ago, thinking i would at least get a subscription to Cineversity. (but sadly the goalposts were shifted there as well ). The whole "big - announcement "thing has been deceitful, and has treated long term loyalty with contempt. Havent felt so deflated since Greyscale Gorilla tried to charge me again for software i had already bought and owned. Have spent two days in a daze trying to work out what it all means to me. The answer is, that any way i look at it i lose.The only winners are the lower participants on the eco-system and possibly new users ( which will only dumb down the fraternity). It has been a public -relations disaster from my point of view. Surely if you are going to take away with one hand , you give something back with the other hand to soften the blow ?  It would have cost them nothing to offer  Redshift at a discount to long-term loyal users. Tried hard to find something positive , as i have spent far too much time digesting all this. Have loved the journey up until a couple of days ago. Sadly MAXON has depreciated greatly in my estimation. I feel as if i have been "blind-sided" .... reluctantly, it may put me out of the game.

I relate to each of your words. I also stayed up till 1am, all aroused to watch this amateurish and deceitful presentation that sounded so fake and full of marketing BS. When you step on stage to talk to a community, you'd better be honest and upfront. I'm still super sad, it's like a good friend gone. 

-The announcements leading up to the show were a steaming pile of horse sh.. "For the whole world.."

Which people in the world are being prevented from subscribing if they want to? Not too many that I've noticed.

I remember a lot of these profanity laden comments of your from back when you were irate at Adobe bringing in subscriptions, where you asked users if they were okay being Adobe's 'bitch', and stuff like that.

I've got to tell you, that relationship is a consensual one, and very satisfying.

-They have hiked their prices for existing customers, but claiming (lying) that it is cheaper. And you ultimately own nothing while paying more!

It's going to be cheaper for a great many people. Lots and lots of people. All the people - in particular - who couldn't afford Studio before but can now jump on the sub train for as long or as short a period as they want.

EJ Hassenfratz calculated that buying into Studio before this - without even having a free option to run on to R22, R23, R24 and so on - was the equivalent of about 5 years of the subscription price. So to a few of us here, the kind of Warner Bros spinning Tasmanian devil rant you're occasionally inflecting is a bit over the top. 

Studio owners see a price increase in what they used to pay for the MSA. For those who suffer through this, they'll see (a.) plugin developers being given an entirely unified potential customer base, so they don't have to worry that they might make a plug-in that Broadcast or Prime etc users couldn't use, (b.) a hassle-free system to have your one C4D license on both your desktop and laptop without any mucking around, (c.) MAXON seeing more money for development both from the small cost increase and hopefully more new users, and (d.) probably a bunch of other benefits that I'd check and list if I thought for a second you were receptive to hearing them instead of telling us all how great the new edition of Blender is.

And as far as 'owning nothing' goes, I think for a lot of people the whole point of given MAXON money will be to have access to the software, and to use it. Concerns about what happens in the future when the predicted meteor strike hits MAXON HQ and the global internet gets disconnected are quite a way further down the list.

- By definition a monthly payment is a monthly payment, not an annual payment.

Yeah I've heard that too. Last time I claimed my Adobe CC sub on tax  - which is a thing - they just added up the whole annual sum and let me deduct it. If I'd told them I'd paid it annually, I doubt they would have done anything different. The MAXON sub will work the same way. However, my suggestion that disgruntled users pay the monthly fee into a piggybank for 12 months and then start their sub a year from now is a brilliant one which will save you and others even more money.

Not to start flaming. I can feel this back and forth could go there if we each sat and typed away at each other's responses, and I could see the hype didn't serve MAXON well for some users. But the more I think about it the more I wish MAXON had gone subscription only earlier. Being able to roll out updates through the year as they get done will bring a host of benefits that their one-version-a-year practice for the past decade or more couldn't really do. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm sure more cool stuff is coming to C4D very soon, but this change of pricing was long overdue, and I'm sure will get a lot of new people using the app.

25 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

EJ Hassenfratz calculated that buying into Studio before this - without even having a free option to run on to R22, R23, R24 and so on - was the equivalent of about 5 years of the subscription price. So to a few of us here, the kind of Warner Bros spinning Tasmanian devil rant you're occasionally inflecting is a bit over the top. 

Studio owners see a price increase in what they used to pay for the MSA. For those who suffer through this, they'll see (a.) plugin developers being given an entirely unified potential customer base, so they don't have to worry that they might make a plug-in that Broadcast or Prime etc users couldn't use, (b.) a hassle-free system to have your one C4D license on both your desktop and laptop without any mucking around, (c.) MAXON seeing more money for development both from the small cost increase and hopefully more new users, and (d.) probably a bunch of other benefits that I'd check and list if I thought for a second you were receptive to hearing them instead of telling us all how great the new edition of Blender is.

Most of us agree that for new comers, subscriptions are quite cool (and they can still buy a perpetual license if they want to, at a lower price than before). I believe that most rants come from existing Studio users (like me) who end up losing cineversity (why?????) and paying more to upgrade, and from lower-tier users who might pull out as they cannot afford paying more that their Basic/Broadcast/Visualize MSA's. This may actually be quite a lot of people. 

I wish MAXON made an official statement to clarify the status and pricing of perpetual licenses:

-Will they keep perpetual licenses beyond R21 ? 

-What will be the  annual upgrade price moving forward? I heard of 900EUR. This would be insanely high compared to my Studio MSA, which costs me 660EUR/year. And no Cineversity, no Redshift...

-Upgrades: can they guarantee that the annual upgrade will give the program all the features of the subscription version? I don't care about getting new features later than subscribers, as long as I get them with my annual upgrade. 

I believe that most rants come from existing Studio users (like me) who end up losing cineversity (why?????) and paying more to upgrade,

This is fair enough. And I can see the lack of the bombshell R21 features many were hoping for was some salt into the wound. But neither of those things affect me. For someone in my shoes who never could afford approximately 5 years of the subscription price in one big sum up front, the easier payment requirements will be a much simpler hurdle to jump. I'll be onboard within the R21 cycle and expect to be very happy with it.

again. nobody knows yet what the upgrade prices for perpetual will be. if they are higher than current msa, that indeed would suck. but we don‘t know yet.