Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

1 minute ago, Craig Maret said:

They are not adobe so I doubt your shares will do as well, adobe have (for now) a monopoly on creative tools that Joe Public can understand and learn, c4d although being easiest to learn is not so accessible and more niche....wouldn’t be surprised to see some software in the not to distant future that uses AI to make it mass market...it will probably be bought by adobe lol

Yeah I'm not really counting on it do as well. Although I did make a nice profit on Nemetschek shares a while back, and also bought some Adobe which are still up around 14% :)

3 hours ago, Rectro said:

Subscribers dont have to fork out over 3k in advance to get their hands on C4D. I dont like the subscription thing myself unless its a short term thing which is what they had in place already.  Rent to own sits with me better.

Dan

Hi first post here

Only a hobby user but joined because I want to join the discussion of the subscription bad new from MAXON. Anyway I actually have the Studio version since R16/17 with MSA. Haven't had the time to use Cinema as much as I wanted.

I really don't  buy the argument about people with restricted budgets now having the possibility to join Cinema because they can rent the software.

First of all they could already get most of their needs covered in the more restricted versions and with a perpetual license.

Second newcommers are actually allowed to put an amount aside each month and after some time they would have enough to buy a perpetual license. If you can afford a subscription you could save the money instead and buy the perpetual license afterwards.

The subscription argument is only a cover up for changing thte license term to a monopolistic rental business model. where the customers are tied to paying each month forever. The subscription price can increase exponentially and even then a lot of users would not leave to start all over and learn another 3D program and loose the work they have made. 

This Adobe business model has the advantage for the company that the company can use a minimum effort in developing new features and in fixing bugs while they get a steady payment anyway. Instead they can increase their marketing budget to get more customers. 

I really can't see how this business model can be beneficial for existing or new customers.

19 minutes ago, HansChr said:

Hi first post here

Only a hobby user but joined because I want to join the discussion of the subscription bad new from MAXON. Anyway I actually have the Studio version since R16/17 with MSA. Haven't had the time to use Cinema as much as I wanted.

I really don't  buythe argument about people with restricted budgets now having the possibility to join Cinema because they can rent the software.

First of all they could already get most of their needs covered in the more restricted versions and with a perpetual license.

Second newcommers are actually allowed to put an amount aside each month and after some time they would have enough to buy a perpetual license. If you can afford a subscription you could save the money instead and buy the perpetual license afterwards.

The subscription argument is only a cover up for changing thte license term to a monopolistic rental business model. where the customers are tied to paying each month forever. The subscription price can increase exponentially and even then a lot of users would not leave to start all over and learn another 3D program and loose the work they have made. 

This Adobe business model has the advantage for the company that the company can use a minimum effort in developing new features and in fixing bugs while they get a steady payment anyway. Instead they can increase their marketing budget to get more customers. 

Exactly. That´s what Subscription is in short terms.

And Additionaly: With Perpetual you are also able to sell your License
(which is forgotten in so many math, which is made about Subscription Costs)

It feels shocking to those that have supported MAXON to have been told

“yea you know that thing you bought from us for £3500?...the thing we told you there’s an upgrade and support path for and you are able to sell or keep forever?”

-yes the thing I pay for the new version of every year-

”well we have changed our minds you can’t have it now”

-well give me my money back-

”no you can’t we spent it on setting up a different way to make money”

-but we had an understanding this will be ongoing-

”shut up about that, stop moaning....oh as a way of thanking you support is dropped apart from bugs and your cineversity membership too, deal with it”

The optics of a MAXON faithful

is it wrong to see it like this?

28 minutes ago, Craig Maret said:

The optics of a MAXON faithful

is it wrong to see it like this?

Nope - that about sums it up. Read their FAQ again - it's all corporate double speak.

The translation is:

You are all now renters.

Paying monthly doesn't really mean monthly - it actually means paying a full annual fee.

The best deal you get is an annual renter fee of $720 - if you stop paying you can't open your old jobs (and you can't do anything about it because it says it in the fine print you agreed to).

If our server has a hiccup, not our problem (read the fine print again).

We're breaking every single one of your plugins too - deal with it.

We're giving you bevels that actually work now, so why should you be disappointed? Don't be ungrateful.

It costs about the same as it ever did with the MSA, but now you don't own it.

The 'whole world' means you - all of you - are now our little bank accounts that adds to a sum that we now own in perpetuity.

6 minutes ago, renegade said:

Nope - that about sums it up. Read their FAQ again - it's all corporate double speak.

The translation is:

You are all now renters.

Paying monthly doesn't really mean monthly - it actually means paying a full annual fee.

The best deal you get is an annual renter fee of $720 - if you stop paying you can't open your old jobs (and you can't do anything about it because it says it in the fine print you agreed to).

We're giving you bevels that actually work now, so why should you be disappointed? Don't be ungrateful.

The 'whole world' means you - all of you - are now our little bank accounts that adds to a sum that we now own in perpetuity.

...and therefore please do not put too much expectation in our development department - we deserve enough anyway

1 hour ago, renegade said:

You are all now renters.

That's how it feels. This is our new future.

Interesting to look back at this thread.

Its no different from a cell phone contract.. $59 / month.. 1 year term. its still $59 month.. but with a commitment.

If you don't like commitments? then pay more and go Month to month.. seems fair.

Insydium officially have my money this year. After yearly payments to MAXON for the last 15 years. It was a difficult decision to make but I feel better about making my own upgrade with x-particles and cycles. My R20 will be just fine for the foreseeable.

I will be watching the future of Cinema4D as I am confident the missing features in R21 will be seen sooner rather than later for subscribers. Perpetual options seem to be mostly pointless now due to signing in every 14 days, the lack of cineversity and the fact that you'll be behind subscribers for features and every siggraph announcement will now feel lack luster. 

MAXON seem confident that perpetual license holders who upgrade this year will jump to subscription very soon and that's what makes me think more announcements (probably just after the new year)  

4 minutes ago, adamfilip said:

Its no different from a cell phone contract..

Yes, it's very different. Not even close.

I don't need to open my old phone calls (I don't think I would even want to!). 

It is NOTHING like a cell phone contract - for a very simple reason:

If you rent a phone and phone service - you make a call. You haven't created anything doing that call. You've used the service and that it. That's OK.

Rent C4D and you'll create something using it - but there's a catch... That content you've created cannot be accessed or used unless you continue to pay - forever. You're effectively handing MAXON control over your assets. They decide to double the subscription cost in a few years and you can't afford it? Tough. You are now locked out of your assets.

6 minutes ago, MikeA said:

You're effectively handing MAXON control over your assets. They decide to double the subscription cost in a few years and you can't afford it? Tough. You are now locked out of your assets.

Thinking about it, you are 100% correct. Think of all the plugins that would be useless. Think of all the textures that are unavailable. Think of your model library. We have a ton of them which we consider assets, that allow us to do jobs faster than recreating whole worlds from scratch, and they are all specially textured with precise UVs for use in C4D.

It isn't just C4D, but all the assets which our company uses that are associated with that install.

Again, I felt bad about using the word 'dabbler' about who MAXON are appealing to. But it's true, they are appealing to people who if they stop paying, really don't have any assets or even care about the software. You can always make a jiggly sphere or beveled text in another program.