Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

19 minutes ago, Chris Phillips said:

....but that means my R20 licence no longer works right?....

R20 has a serial number - it will work forever, anywhere. Even after a zombie apocalypse or a major internet outage! ::):

your r20 works with the old licensing system, it doesn‘t phone home, it will work forever, no matter if you choose to go sub or perpetual. i guess in the future it will just be similar to other sub based softwares, that you can only download the most recent 2 or 3 versions, and support stops for earlier versions. just like adobe can‘t stop me from using my cs 5 or cs6 if i want or need to (i don‘t, but i could).. but i can‘t expect support if i use them. that’s all.

Ok cool, thanks. Good to know. I've been off the C4D wagon for the past 3-4 years or so, so wasn't sure how old licences work.

What bothers me the most right now is I've been considering renewing my MSA this august to get R21 perpetual.  $720 for Studio owners like me (from my usual vendor). But when I think C4D Prime owner/licensees with $250 MSA will get the exact same (Studio like) R21 license for $470 less than me, that changes my perspective. Gonna need to give MAXON a call.

Also something I've been reading around the web is that the $60/month deal (annual subscription) isn't charged once per month. It's charged all at one time. So if you want the deal you still need to fork over $720 + tax immediately. If true, this isn't what is being presented. 

To use the car analogy, it's like saying your new car only costs $300/month but demanding the full $35,000 before you can drive it away.

18 minutes ago, renegade said:

If true, this isn't what is being presented. 

To use the car analogy, it's like saying your new car only costs $300/month but demanding the full $35,000 before you can drive it away.

Unfortunately this is true. It's on MAXON website: "Billed Annually".  

That's why I said in this thread that MAXON's advertising is disingenuous.  

There is no such a thing as a monthly U$59.99 subscription.

There is only a U$720 annual sub and a U$94.99 monthly sub. 

And the former works out to be 12 x $59.99 added up, or thereabouts. They’re not exactly pulling a fast one.

Chuck $59.99 into a piggy bank each month, then start your sub in September 2020 next year. You’ll get a years worth of whatever they’ve added up to the R22 release date, then another year of updates after that.

For years I’ve read posts by people unhappy that they’d ‘fallen off the MAXON train’ and were faced with steep upgrade costs because they were getting slugged a huge fee to jump from R16 to R19 or something. That’s now gone entirely, never to return, and people are still miserable.

1 hour ago, RonMedia said:

What bothers me the most right now is I've been considering renewing my MSA this august to get R21 perpetual.  $720 for Studio owners like me (from my usual vendor). But when I think C4D Prime owner/licensees with $250 MSA will get the exact same (Studio like) R21 license for $470 less than me, that changes my perspective. Gonna need to give MAXON a call.

That is true!  I never considered that.  Well....I was upset before and that realization did not help.

Honestly, MAXON better have a UNIQUE AND SIGNIFICANT discount just for Studio owners.  Give me a $470 discount on a perpetual license of Redshift that I can load on R20 seems appropriate and I might think about doing something (subscription or perpetual) after my MSA runs out at the end of the month.

Think about this recipe:

• Push out a pretty mediocre release that makes even R17 look great.
  • Offer MSA holders of Prime the same perpetual license to R21 at 1/3 of the cost of what Studio owners have to pay.
  • End the MSA program  next year and charge MORE for a perpetual license than ever before.
  • Deactivate all perpetual licenses that you have paid for in the past should you decide that you can't afford to pay that premium anymore and go with a subscription.
  • Charge me just as much for a subscription that I used to pay for the MSA, but now I don't own the software. 

Wow.  I know the good hearted MAXON people think this whole subscription program is great and that they are not Adobe, never will be Adobe and have a higher set of virtues than the corporate slime that runs Adobe.  Remember....they are for helping the whole world with 3D after all!!!

And in part, that is true.  They are all great people who are passionate about what they do and my heart goes out to them because they just don't see it.  They are not looking at this from the standpoint of the user who has to pay for this with their own money. 

If you walk through those 5 points above, they don't realize that MAXON just figured out how to steal everyone's perpetual license right out from under them.

You may disagree and your arguments can be sound, but after all the words, that is just how it feels to me.  I can't escape it.

Dave

3 hours ago, BoganTW said:

And the former works out to be 12 x $59.99 added up, or thereabouts. They’re not exactly pulling a fast one.

Yes they are.

-The announcements leading up to the show were a steaming pile of horse sh.. "For the whole world.."

-They have hiked their prices for existing customers, but claiming (lying) that it is cheaper. And you ultimately own nothing while paying more!

- By definition a monthly payment is a monthly payment, not an annual payment. True monthly payments are around $95 a pop.