Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

46 minutes ago, Craig Maret said:

So how will it work for those that go with r21 perpetual in say 4 years time if we need a reinstall 

Obviously, you download the full installer to keep. Then you install, and download the content libraries. Then you make a copy of the content libraries and store them in the same safe place as the installer. So, you can re-install your installation any time even if MAXON doesn't offer that specific version any more.

Although, in the past I could even copy the full "live" installation to another machine. Dunno if that is still supported.

Installer files shouldn't be an issue for MAXON as the app will ask for its license online anyway. So this method would not help if MAXON decides to switch off licensing for this version. They should not do that though; "perpetual" is perpetual (as long as the OS and the hardware allow the app to run). I would study the EULA this year very carefully anyway.

22 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Obviously, you download the full installer to keep. Then you install, and download the content libraries. Then you make a copy of the content libraries and store them in the same safe place as the installer.

Definitely agree - I do that now with any critical software. Things do disappear on the internet, generally installers and other large files. Your social media posts may not disappear, but the valuable stuff does. And also MAXON has a habit of breaking plugins, so i keep some old versions around in case I need to run some past plugin - has saved me multiple times. That's a fact.

5 hours ago, Raischub said:

...and loose the access to your perpetual V22 (If this will ever come...) ?

If you have an R21 perpetual license and turn it into a subscription, you lose the license ownership and become enslaved. 

On the other hand, if you buy an upgrade to R22 perpetual, the license remains yours. 

What breaks the perpetual license is the subscription. If you keep buying upgrades year on year the license will always stay yours with no risk of losing it. 

Now my biggest question is: how much does a perpetual license upgrade cost vs the current MSA? 

42 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

Obviously, you download the full installer to keep. Then you install, and download the content libraries. Then you make a copy of the content libraries and store them in the same safe place as the installer. So, you can re-install your installation any time even if MAXON doesn't offer that specific version any more.

Although, in the past I could even copy the full "live" installation to another machine. Dunno if that is still supported.

Installer files shouldn't be an issue for MAXON as the app will ask for its license online anyway. So this method would not help if MAXON decides to switch off licensing for this version. They should not do that though; "perpetual" is perpetual (as long as the OS and the hardware allow the app to run). I would study the EULA this year very carefully anyway.

Oh I'm sure the offline installer will be gone in one of the next releases "for a streamlined and simplified installation process for the user". Of course pure speculation but we have seen this behavior before.

3 hours ago, stoecklem said:

Can anyone confirm that R21 subscription will still have unlimited Team Render nodes?

Yes I'd like to know too (I asked this before but it was not answered yet).

1 hour ago, Unstable said:

They show on their site that R21 Perpetual licenses never expire. If that is is the case, why have several people stated that elsewhere on the site MAXON indicates they may turn off previous versions in 3-4 years? This would seem to be the only reason to make a perpetual version have to connect to a MAXON server every 14 days. If this is not why the connection is necessary, I'd really like someone from MAXON to provide what the real reason is.  

i don't recall anyone saying or writing that. what was said is that they won't provide installers or support for versions more than 3 releases old. the reason for the 14 day connection is the new licensing system, which is not with serial numbers anymore. think it's just a measure to prevent piracy.

The 14-day connection is primarily to enable users - perpetual or subscription - to switch between systems where Cinema 4D is activated. You can remotely sign-out of a system in order to grab its license. To make that work the signed out system needs to connect periodically to know it's signed out.

The 3 year retirement clause is about download and support. It's necessary to limit the resources we have to put into older releases and also to manage possible changes in terms for licensed technology. 

17 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

The 3 year retirement clause is about download and support. It's necessary to limit the resources we have to put into older releases and also to manage possible changes in terms for licensed technology. 

Thank you. So while the support may go away in 3 years, if I've chosen to continue to use a perpetual version there is no longer support for, I will be able to?

Just now, Unstable said:

Thank you. So while the support may go away in 3 years, if I've chosen to continue to use a perpetual version there is no longer support for, I will be able to?

Yep - though I'm confident we'll be able to deliver features in the next 3 years that you won't be able to resist. 

That’s reassuring to hear, I asked earlier about the installation file for my theoretical post 3 year install, will I be able to have those for when it drops off your system?

2 minutes ago, Craig Maret said:

That’s reassuring to hear, I asked earlier about the installation file for my theoretical post 3 year install, will I be able to have those for when it drops off your system?

Like I said earlier - there's a 'full' installer that includes all the necessary files. You'll be able to download that once R21 is live in September.

Ok thanks