Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

I feel like having this version as a perpetual license does future-proof you a bit more than previous versions if you never receive another new release due to the inclusion of support for HiDPI monitors. That may not seem like a big deal to some, but if you ever plan an upgrading monitors in the future and not getting a subscription, this could be important. 

I have a 4k monitor and it honestly doesn't bother me as it is, but I DO feel the same way about the 3rd party renderer node API stuff. I'm a long time Octane user and they are already mentioning porting their nodes over to the native system which I imagine most renderers will do pretty quickly, so having that as a unified interface will be nice going forward. That and the (finally) updated skinning methods are about it though for me. I'm also weighing if and when i sell, getting rid of an R20 license will be harder, and if you can find a buyer for R21, that might get you a couple years worth of subscription costs. Much better than the 20% off that MAXON will be offering. I wish I could deduct money for the time I've wasted thinking about all this though, haha. I'll probably end up doing the MSA this last time like Dave, then see where things go.

16 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

All,

Initial Disclaimer: If some of this information is repetitive, then I apologize but I gave up following this thread 10 pages ago.

I just wanted to communicate some information which I received from MAXON USA.  Steve Ridley actually contacted me by phone to discuss my upgrade options as my MSA expires on August 30.  This date is significant as a lot of options change on September 1st.   People like me whose MSA expires on August 30th are in kind of a grey zone relative to what price we pay for upgrading to R21 perpetual.  That is a question I kept asking on the forums.  Steve also informed me that there are probably many others in the same boat because MAXON was always very gracious to those who missed their MSA renewal dates in the past and MAXON would allow them to renew late but there renewals would then be timed to end on August 30th of the following year.  So hopefully this information is of comfort to many others as it was to me.

So rather than try to interpret for Mr. Ridley, I asked that he put it into writing so that I could communicate it to the forums as I explained that there was a great deal of confusion (as attested to probably the longest thread in Café history):

Here is a screen shot of the email he sent.  I then asked a follow up question which I will show below this one:

454819276_MSARenwal.thumb.JPG.ddc67b2f851f84bf5091d222c4f48783.JPG

Note that the discussion point is around the option to RENEW AN EXISTING MSA (see highlighted sections) prior to August 31st.  That means for $720 (my existing MSA price for Studio), I get both R21 perpetual and Cineversity just as it has always been.

I did ask a follow up question, which then got this response:

18602310_MSARenwal_followup.JPG.4cc720b8565a520b20f8b8acf9715ac3.JPG

So it appears that it is business as usual and the decision on what to do with the subscription plan does not need to be made until 8/31/2020.  Should MAXON come out with a cracker jack release in the interim, the only way I could get that update prior to buying a perpetual license on 8/31/2020 is to convert to a subscription plan.

For people in the same boat as myself in the US (I cannot speak for other regions), please contact MAXON USA to hear it for yourselves via a 1:1 dialogue. Talking to Steve convinced me on what to do more so than reading this forum....but such is information flow in the digital age.

Now I cannot guarantee this clears up everyone's confusion, but it worked for me.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for this Dave.. Very useful! The one important thing which is not explicit in the conversation, is if on 8/31/2020 you change to subscription rather than get a new perpetual licence - will you be able to keep R21 perpetual?

My reseller seems to think that it becomes part of the subscription- and therefore if I stop subscribing I lose R21 too. This is a major point I think

Seems as the local distributor is not letting you go that easily ...

According to the MSA contract it should have been cancelled 3 months prior to its ending (31/8/2019), which means cancellation had to be submitted in written form before 30 april  2019. Nice move MAXON.

You do not get to keep R21 perpetual if you convert to subscription.  This was confirmed to me by Steve from MAXON.

In my opinion we will never see a V22 Perpetual (MAXON gives no guarantee for that).

(Or? There anyone to disagree from Maxons side? - asked often enough ; )
They go the Adobe way (They also told us: Buy CS6 – it will be the only version you can upgrade from in future – and then? Only Rent-grade was available).
V21 Perpetual exists only to not annoy some long-term users too much.
They also have to fulfill existing MSA contracts
(so can´t stop a V21 Perpetual for the moment, but cancel existing MSA contracts - mine for example ).
I´m sure: After that its rent it or leave us.
Be carefull with investments!
Especially when you are planning to buy expensive PlugIns or AddOns.
No Cent from my side any longer as with Adobe.

BtW: that you loose your perpetual 21 if switching to subcription is strange. VERY strange.

(! You loose the right to sell this license which means money !)

(! Maybe it´s better to sell V21 and then get a fresh subscription with your earnings !)
(! Especially if you are a Studio OWNER - like me - who get very bad deals compared to others !)

And another break in Maxons philosophy.

Wonder if that´s legal? A perpetual license is a perpetual license... Or?
Read the fineprint carefully when following the New MAXON into subscription, what makes you dependent in many ways...

5 hours ago, stoecklem said:

You do not get to keep R21 perpetual if you convert to subscription.  This was confirmed to me by Steve from MAXON.

Can you keep your R21 and not convert, and then add a subscription when for instance R22 comes out? This way if you are short on cash or whatever and cannot afford a subscription for R23 you can still use your R21 license or any older license like R20 ?

9 minutes ago, briankoko said:

Can you keep your R21 and not convert, and then add a subscription when for instance R22 comes out? This way if you are short on cash or whatever and cannot afford a subscription for R23 you can still use your R21 license or any older license like R20 ?

Of course. Anyone can subscribe at any time.

11 minutes ago, briankoko said:

Yes you can keep your r21 if its perpetual as long as you dont convert that licence to a discounted subscription.   This would mean if you want a subscription your pay the full subscription price either annually or monthly while your perpetual falls further and further behind.

What you need to keep in mind however is you may get used to or rely on the new features of r22 or higher, so simply reverting back to r21 would mean you loose them features, and any work that made use of them new r22 features.  

Dan

Thank you Rick and Rectro for the quick answers, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Yes you can keep your r21 if its perpetual as long as you dont convert that licence to a discounted subscription.   This would mean if you want a subscription your pay the full subscription price either annually or monthly while your perpetual falls further and further behind.

What you need to keep in mind however is you may get used to or rely on the new features of r22 or higher, so simply reverting back to r21 would mean you loose them features, and any work that made use of them new r22 features.  

Dan

Is that true?   Take one step into subscription and ALL your perpetual licenses close forever? Can we get some clarity here?

Maybe I inferred this incorrectly, but I thought it worked this way:

1) As long as you are using a subscription, the perpetual license will no longer activate.

2) Once you cancelled your subscription (or the subscription period ends), the perpetual license will reactivate.

This was my impression as I remember asking MAXON USA that if I needed Redshift or some feature of R22, then I could sign up for a monthly subscription until I no longer needed those features (which in reality means that you took the project all the way to final render).  Then, when my subscription lapses, R21 will reactivate again.

So what is the reality?

Dave

15 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is that true?   Take one step into subscription and ALL your perpetual licenses close forever? Can we get some clarity here?

What Studio owner would surrender their $3,695 perpetual license to get a mere 20% discount off the first two years of subscription and have to pay it all up front.

Give up your license to save about $150/yr, for two years. Could that be right?