Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

Called MAXON to get the same $250 MSA price to upgrade to R21 Studio-like version that everyone will be receiving, and MAXON rep said no. Prime users get R21 upgrade for $250 and I'd have to pay $725 for same version, which is $475 penalty to me in my view.

So I'm out. Out of yearly upgrading cycle. Could afford it, but on principle won't be paying the $475 penalty for same exact product.

I'll stick with R20 Studio perpetual for the foreseeable future. Will look into what's going on with C4D price options when R27 rolls around. Although I may be happy with Blender by then, I'll have had 6 or 7 years to get familiar with it and it's improvements. Who knows what Autodesk Indie will be like and cost then, along with various other 3D apps. 

I'd have likely jumped on to subscription for R22 at $720 or perpetual upgrade pricing (depending on what that will be), but that won't be happening now.

Yeah this part is what stings me too. I get MAXON's argument about easing lower priced people into forking over $720 a year, but on principal I don't like the taste in my mouth about what this actually means. I think MAXON should eat that cost frankly, and give it to everyone for the same $250, but I don't see them doing that no matter how much we complain so it is what it is. Its the cost of them changing everything, I didn't call them with this subscription idea, and it means they will be making $720 from everyone for the foreseeable future, so you'd think they could afford to. It comes down to they know that they CAN get more from you, since you've shown them that, so they WILL. The punishment for giving them more money all these years I guess.

20 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Is that true?   Take one step into subscription and ALL your perpetual licenses close forever? Can we get some clarity here?

Maybe I inferred this incorrectly, but I thought it worked this way:

1) As long as you are using a subscription, the perpetual license will no longer activate.

2) Once you cancelled your subscription (or the subscription period ends), the perpetual license will reactivate.

This was my impression as I remember asking MAXON USA that if I needed Redshift or some feature of R22, then I could sign up for a monthly subscription until I no longer needed those features (which in reality means that you took the project all the way to final render).  Then, when my subscription lapses, R21 will reactivate again.

So what is the reality?

Dave

I got that from this email as one of the options.

"Whilst cheaper than MSA, this option will mean that you’re on a subscription licence and your R20 perpetual licence has been upgraded and is no longer valid. Subscription licences work during the licenced period, but if your subscription ends and you don’t renew, your software will no longer work."

It does not say that your perpetual licence becomes active again, or it downgrades or switches back, but it does say that "Your perpetual licence has been upgraded".  The key difference here is subscription from a upgraded perpetual licence which offers cheaper prices, or subscription separate from your own perpetual licence.

If the perpetual does switch back on if you stop subscribing then this needs to be made clear in the emails.

Dan

Yes.. If that is that is the case. If it switches back on, then it isn't so bad. This would make a lot of sense.. you wouldn't actually be losing your perpetual license you paid all that money for. This needs to be made clear and could be a big factor in my decision.  But sales never mentioned to me anything about it switching back on

If it's like Adobe did, I don't think once you convert it you can un-convert it, that's why they are giving you the 20% for two years. Which should be higher IMHO, since that is saying your $3500 license is only worth $300, which also doesn't make sense. I feel like these details weren't so well thought out, in a way that kinda makes me lose some confidence in them. What idiot is going to basically sell their $3500 license for $300? Or is MAXON just admitting that's all its worth now, post-subscription era?

This Rick's response to my question on CGTalk:

Is there any subscription discount for current owners of older C4D versions (not on MSA)? And, if we upgrade to this subscription model will we lose our perpetual license once we stop subscribing?

There is a discount in the first year of subscription for users of any prior C4D edition/release. Check with your sales rep for exact pricing. You’ll still have access to your older release of Cinema 4D in that case.

So, I'm not sure if this means that your older software will still work after you cancel or if it will only work as long as you're paying for a subscription.

2 hours ago, Jimh said:

What Studio owner would surrender their $3,695 perpetual license to get a mere 20% discount off the first two years of subscription and have to pay it all up front.

Give up your license to save about $150/yr, for two years. Could that be right?

I don´t believe, anyone can take you a V 20 Perpetual.

But it seems a V 21 Perpetual can be taken once you go to subscription on one of Maxons immoral offers...

Carefully read the fineprint.

4 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Of course. Anyone can subscribe at any time.

Will there be a Perpetual Version beyond V21 or not??
Or is a missing answer exactly the answer??
I have heard enough marketing Bushwah now.

Clearly everyone can jump to subscription (additional) anytime.

Rick. You know exactly what you are NOT talking about.

OR?

2 hours ago, Jimh said:

What Studio owner would surrender their $3,695 perpetual license to get a mere 20% discount off the first two years of subscription and have to pay it all up front.

Give up your license to save about $150/yr, for two years. Could that be right?

In my eyes NO
In New MAXON eyes YES
Sell your V 20 license and jump into dependency if you like to.

Thats the New MAXON.

2 hours ago, RonMedia said:

I'd have likely jumped on to subscription for R22 at $720 or perpetual upgrade pricing (depending on what that will be), but that won't be happening now.

If there ever will be a V22 Perpetual.

I asked here often: Ist there any promise for that???
But there is silence.

I bet it won´t be.

2 hours ago, Rectro said:

I got that from this email as one of the options.

"Whilst cheaper than MSA, this option will mean that you’re on a subscription licence and your R20 perpetual licence has been upgraded and is no longer valid. Subscription licences work during the licenced period, but if your subscription ends and you don’t renew, your software will no longer work."

It does not say that your perpetual licence becomes active again, or it downgrades or switches back, but it does say that "Your perpetual licence has been upgraded".  The key difference here is subscription from a upgraded perpetual licence which offers cheaper prices, or subscription separate from your own perpetual licence.

If the perpetual does switch back on if you stop subscribing then this needs to be made clear in the emails.

Dan

RIP MAXON

48 minutes ago, Silvercity said:

This Rick's response to my question on CGTalk:

So, I'm not sure if this means that your older software will still work after you cancel or if it will only work as long as you're paying for a subscription.

I cant believe how communictaion is done in this case.

Seems, they don´t want us to know clear facts.

BtW a V20 Perpetual can´t be taken away from you, if you payed for.

By EU law.

May be different anywhere else.

If there are special conditions - if you choose to go on subscription from V21 - BE CAREFUL with reading the fineprint (MAXON didn´t show us and obviously don´t like to comment about - you can ask here as often as you want - there are only nebulous ansers as "sure, you can subscribe anytime..."). There is no willing to answer exactly. So no answer is the answer.