Sign in to follow this  
blastframe

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

33 minutes ago, rfanoni said:

***!

According to my reseller "with the upgrade from R21 Perpetual to Subscription, the R21 Perpetual is no longer valid. "

So if I renew my MSA to get R21 perpetual, and decide at a later date to go subscription, my perpetual R21 licence is effectively revoked! Unbelievable.

Shouldn't be correct. If your are willing to trade your perpetual license for a discount of 20% (for the first year) on the subscription then that's true. If you would have the subscription next to your perpetual you would just keep your perpetual. So if your perpetual is worth 20% of €600 = €120 excl VAT then you should trade it in. Otherwise keep it and pay the full €600 excl. VAT

But to upgrade your perpetual should still be possible, but isn't confirmed yet for future (post 21) releases. And (this is all speculation) there might be a discount like every year in May or August and if perpetual will stay you could get is with a similar price as a MSA (but without the benefits of a cineversity access,..)

But who knows.

53 minutes ago, Craig Maret said:

On the list of r21 features it states there is a new online installation procedure.

i also read MAXON may only keep a few years of previous versions supported on their server. So if I get r21 with my msa and stick with that for now, in 4 years my windows 10 needs a reinstall will I be able to get it? If the installation is online and not as a file on my drive then it looks like my perpetual is actually 3 years and then until something goes pear shaped on my pc.

Think, they perfect the "Creative" way of renting Software.
There are that many I know, who are still on CS6 - in case of Adobe - And it seems, MAXON will not live with Users, that are lucky for Years with outdated Software.
Also foreseeable, that future OS (Apple already announced) will not support CS Applications
(And with MAXON it will be the same)

Sounds like a plan of the big players in the field. They want you to lock into Subscriptions anyway.
And - Sigh - I fear they will find enough, who don´t care about.

1 hour ago, Raischub said:

Also foreseeable, that future OS (Apple already announced) will not support CS Applications

Well, that would explain why Affinity is so busy.

Can anyone confirm that R21 subscription will still have unlimited Team Render nodes?

2 hours ago, Craig Maret said:

On the list of r21 features it states there is a new online installation procedure.

i also read MAXON may only keep a few years of previous versions supported on their server. So if I get r21 with my msa and stick with that for now, in 4 years my windows 10 needs a reinstall will I be able to get it? If the installation is online and not as a file on my drive then it looks like my perpetual is actually 3 years and then until something goes pear shaped on my pc.

The reason things are so confusing is that MAXON isn't solidifying what the options are and posting it on their site in one spot to clear things up. They show on their site that R21 Perpetual licenses never expire (below). If that is is the case, why have several people stated that elsewhere on the site MAXON indicates they may turn off previous versions in 3-4 years? This would seem to be the only reason to make a perpetual version have to connect to a MAXON server every 14 days. If this is not why the connection is necessary, I'd really like someone from MAXON to provide what the real reason is. Thanks

perpetual.thumb.jpg.8e4f5018f2ecd23b32ab302fdf52e6cf.jpg

27 minutes ago, Unstable said:

The reason things are so confusing is that MAXON isn't solidifying what the options are and posting it on their site in one spot to clear things up. They show on their site that R21 Perpetual licenses never expire (below). If that is is the case, why have several people stated that elsewhere on the site MAXON indicates they may turn off previous versions in 3-4 years? This would seem to be the only reason to make a perpetual version have to connect to a MAXON server every 14 days. If this is not why the connection is necessary, I'd really like someone from MAXON to provide what the real reason is. Thanks

perpetual.thumb.jpg.8e4f5018f2ecd23b32ab302fdf52e6cf.jpg

I'm re-watching the Siggraph demos and in the chat window the MAXON moderator posted the message below. Perpetual either need to connect every 14 days or for completely offline use RLM.

Perpetual license.JPG

15 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

I'm re-watching the Siggraph demos and in the chat window the MAXON moderator posted the message below. Perpetual either need to connect every 14 days or for completely offline use RLM.

Perpetual license.JPG

Thanks. I'm not sure what RLM stands for (Remote License Management maybe?) But does this mean that the I would be able to use R21 perpetual even if it didn't make the call home at the 14 day mark? I (and I think many others) are under the impression that if it hasn't connected within 14 days, it stops working until the software can connect to re-activate. Is this incorrect? @hobbyist I really appreciate your response and sharing this info, but I'd really like someone official to clarify this. Thanks

21 minutes ago, hobbyist said:

Perpetual either need to connect every 14 days or for completely offline use RLM.

I want to stay completely offline, but don't want to pay extra for the RLM (Reprise License Manager)

Hence the reason I am staying with R20 and will not upgrade. Should they reconsider, then I will reconsider to upgrade my perpetual.

2 minutes ago, Unstable said:

Thanks. I'm not sure what RLM stands for (Remote License Management maybe?) But does this mean that the I would be able to use R21 perpetual even if it didn't make the call home at the 14 day mark? I (and I think many others) are under the impression that if it hasn't connected within 14 days, it stops working until the software can connect to re-activate. Is this incorrect? @hobbyist I really appreciate your response and sharing this info, but I'd really like someone official to clarify this. Thanks

Yeah I just replied by pure coincidence the video I was watching had that comment from the mod pop up. I thought I'd post it up here if it'd help. I checked out RLM as I'd never heard of it before and came across this link: https://help.MAXON.net/us/#1103

As you say, hopefully we all get official clarification 

3 hours ago, Craig Maret said:

R21 is packaged in either a "stub" installer that's under 10mb and downloads the necessary installation files during the installation process, or as a "full" installer that's around 500mb and includes all files necessary for installation (though not the preset libs, which still come via the Online Updater).