Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

1 hour ago, RBarrett said:

We do indeed need to sort out a reasonable option for perpetual folks to continue accessing Cineversity after their MSA expires - we missed that detail prior to announcement and we're working to sort it out.

Thank you very much,

I personally appreciate the possibility to have a choice to rent (handy for a second or third license).

I really hope you guys find a fair solution for perpetual as for me exclusively renting is no option (as it was with Adobe that didn't get any money from me since CS6) I at least want to have one perpetual license.

To be honest I would appreciate a perpetual update to be cheaper then renting, as it is payed upfront. But I also could live with the easy and uncomplicated solution of everything costing the same: rent with cineversity, and perpetual update with cineversity till next version. 

But of course MAXON is free in its decisions. exactly like its customers. :)

I will lose access to cineversity at the end of the year, as all the other german MSA customers I think,

and internationally some people even earlier . So It would be nice If you wouldn't wait till next August to sort this issue out :)

best regards

Jops

12 hours ago, RBarrett said:

We do indeed need to sort out a reasonable option for perpetual folks to continue accessing Cineversity after their MSA expires - we missed that detail prior to announcement and we're working to sort it out.

Smooth talking BS. You seriously gonna shovel that? The Reality: Your team thought through the entire plan with your consultants well in advance. The initiative was finely calibrated to pressure customers towards subscriptions.

We customers should feel grateful that our previous investment in the product funded the stiff consultancy fees for agencies such as this: http://www.thebigwheelconsultancy.com/

Analytics, Customer psychology...it's a true art form these days. Give them their due, these consultants are CLEVER. The game now is customer manipulation over product improvement.

This post was an error – I had replied to the wrong message when using my phone.

12 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Hi Rick

As a new user, who just invested £3,700 in R20 Studio; Cineversity access is not my main concern. I've looked at it, it's a nice extra, but for me, it's a non-issue compared to the more significant conversation. To me, the MSA was a right to upgrade my software at a reduced price each year.

I phoned MAXON this week who said if there is a perpetual upgrade path to R22 it will be more expensive than the subscription. 

In my opinion, what needs sorting is perpetual licences.

Especially a commitment to the fact that perpetual licence holders should be able to continue upgrading their licences at the same price, or less than a subscription.

4 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Smooth talking BS. You seriously gonna shovel that? The Reality: Your team thought through the entire plan with your consultants well in advance. The initiative was finely calibrated to pressure customers towards subscriptions.

We customers should feel grateful that our previous investment in the product funded the stiff consultancy fees for agencies such as this: http://www.thebigwheelconsultancy.com/

Analytics, Customer psychology...it's a true art form these days. Give them their due, these consultants are CLEVER. The game now is customer manipulation over product improvement.

Thats the way it is.

Think, theres no chance for us, to stop the train.

Art from these days. Yes.

And therefore everything said here.

(As long as evlish plans of Subscription Companies are honored by users, as long as getting your files locked is a trend, as long as people wanna rent instead of buy... These things will go on. No one will stop Maxons new stylish and modern talking CEO)

Dot

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -
Today, devils no longer have horns

8 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

The Reality: Your team thought through the entire plan with your consultants well in advance.

There were no consultants - other than some vendors that helped with the technical implementation.

If the edges of this plan are ragged, it's honestly because (as I inferred from an earlier post) we've been working our a**es off.

53 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

There were no consultants - other than some vendors that helped with the technical implementation.

If the edges of this plan are ragged, it's honestly because (as I inferred from an earlier post) we've been working our a**es off.

Hi Rick.

Look, if it hadn't been fully thought through properly in time because you've been working you a**es off - then the right thing to do is delay its implementation until it is fully ready and the details are thought through.

History is littered with software companies who released stuff too early and suffered backlash due to bugs . No-one is making you implement it this year.

50 minutes ago, rfanoni said:

Hi Rick.

Look, if it hadn't been fully thought through properly in time because you've been working you a**es off - then the right thing to do is delay its implementation until it is fully ready and the details are thought through.

History is littered with software companies who released stuff too early and suffered backlash due to bugs . No-one is making you implement it this year.

Don't get me wrong - we're fully confident in the system, and in the offer and details we've presented.

I was specifically referring to the 'ragged edges' - like figuring out Cineversity access for perpetual folks and communication of some details.

2 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Don't get me wrong - we're fully confident in the system, and in the offer and details we've presented.

I was specifically referring to the 'ragged edges' - like figuring out Cineversity access for perpetual folks and communication of some details.

If this is all you are thinking about, the less optimistic fellas might be right and there is no need to discuss it any further.

we will see. 

15 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

Craig,

Stop sweet talking it...tell us how you really think!

Wow...interesting site.  I love how they list their benefits as: "proven ways to grow your subscriber numbers, membership base or customer lifetime value"

So it is an "or" condition?  You can't grow your subscriber numbers AND maximize customer lifetime value?

I guess not.  Well, we can guess which option MAXON selected.

Dave

13 hours ago, HiFly said:

Hi Rick

As a new user, who just invested £3,700 in R20 Studio; Cineversity access is not my main concern. I've looked at it, it's a nice extra, but for me, it's a non-issue compared to the more significant conversation. To me, the MSA was a right to upgrade my software at a reduced price each year.

I phoned MAXON this week who said if there is a perpetual upgrade path to R22 it will be more expensive than the subscription. 

In my opinion, what needs sorting is perpetual licences.

Especially a commitment to the fact that perpetual licence holders should be able to continue upgrading their licences at the same price, or less than a subscription.

Yeah.  If we assume that the cost to upgrade from R21 perpetual to R22 perpetual is $999, then that is a 53% price increase in two years.  $280 increase to get R22 over what I would pay this year to get R21....but only because I still have an active MSA program. 

Now...if Prime users opt for the perpetual option at $250 this year, then they are also signing up to pay 4 times more than what they used to pay via their Prime MSA program for the R22 perpetual upgrade.  Now that is a big jump.

So the user base for C4D users are going to boil down to three classes of people:

1) People who are not afraid of being locked into subscriptions if they want to have access to their files.  They've accepted it, don't fear it and are pretty much confident that paying $720 in perpetuity is just a fine way to go until they decide to leave C4D or 3D forever.

2) People who love C4D more than they hate subscriptions and agree to the outrageous price increases for perpetual licenses.

3) People who have just lost all faith in MAXON and that anger over this "new" MAXON forces them to go somewhere else.

So which group do you think MAXON is placing existing C4D users in?

Which group do you think MAXON is placing new users in?

...and most importantly (as I really don't care what MAXON perceives at this point)….

….Which group do you think will make up the majority of C4D users in 3 years?

Dave