Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

44 minutes ago, C4DS said:

This used to be the way how things were handled in most (if not all) European countries as well. From my understanding of the "3D for the whole world" this will stop with the release of R21. No local reseller, no local distributor. All via the one online shop or MyMaxon account.

I understood this would also apply to New Zealand and other parts of the world.

Makes sense to go down this route. We will see in a few weeks time I guess.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:13 PM, 3DKiwi said:

I pay US $399 per year for my Modo maintenance contract to keep my perpetual version up to date. Alternatively as Kent listed you can pay $599 per year for a subscription.

for Houdini Indie I pay $269 for one year or $400 for two years.

The tour details (linked further up) actually look pretty good. Attendees pay $95. They get to attend whatever happens at the show with Andrew Kramer, the GSG guys and Chris Schmidt, EJ Hassenfratz, Noseman and probably other local artists, and then meet and chat with them all. They also get access to related tutorials and follow up webinars, and a 30 day license for Adobe Creative Cloud, and a three month bundled license for Redshift and C4D R21, plus other bits and pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if they win a good number of people over.

https://www.3dmotiontour.com

Dumb question time. Why can't Cinema 4D have a perpetual licence with annual maintenance i.e. MSA  then also a monthly / annual subscription plan for those that want to rent Cinema 4D / don't want the hefty outlay of buying a perpetual licence.

Don't give me any BS that it can't be done. The Foundry offers both for Modo. Everyone is then happy.

1 hour ago, 3DKiwi said:

Dumb question time. Why can't Cinema 4D have a perpetual licence with annual maintenance i.e. MSA  then also a monthly / annual subscription plan for those that want to rent Cinema 4D / don't want the hefty outlay of buying a perpetual licence.

Don't give me any BS that it can't be done. The Foundry offers both for Modo. Everyone is then happy.

From what understand they will. It's just not called MSA. Its a yearly update for your perpetual licence that will be a combination of all the subscription features released during the year. They are offering both perpetual licences and subscriptions.

10 hours ago, C4DS said:

This used to be the way how things were handled in most (if not all) European countries as well. From my understanding of the "3D for the whole world" this will stop with the release of R21. No local reseller, no local distributor. All via the one online shop or MyMaxon account.

I understood this would also apply to New Zealand and other parts of the world.

There will still be resellers and distributors, but their roles will change. As Kent pointed out, things have to change with a subscription based system. I'm not involved in this part of operations, but from what i know the sales part will become less prominent but the customer service part will increase. MAXON has a lot of very active distributors that are not just selling C4D but offering a lot of additonal services to users and MAXON. I would expect those services to define their role more prominent in the future.
MAXON always had a strong tendency to work with local businesses all over the world to adjust to the local markets and more. It served us very well There is no reason to cut these ties now, especially not if we want to realy provide Cinema 4D for the whole world. Roles will change though.

The new 'My MAXON' system seems helpful. As a freelancer going into different studios it will be great to just download and use  c4d. The last five places I've freelances for all had blender installed on whatever workstation I was on and it'd be great to be able to use Cinema. 

One question though, will all your versions be available to you with 'My MAXON' if you aren't on subscription and have a perpetual of R21 can you use that or can you use a version of R20?

26 minutes ago, briankoko said:

The last five places I've freelanced for all had blender installed on whatever workstation I was on

Interesting.

I think it´s time for me to say goodbye forever to Cinema4D / MAXON!

I have no problem with the money for MSA and the baby steps in development (i do mostly Character Animations) and i have also not a problem with the “first time“ online activation....BUT...to be forced to go online every 14 Days to have a working Software is the Dealbreaker for me. That´s exactly why i´m not a X-Particles and Cycles4D User. I own Zbrush which also has a Online Activation System, but after that i can work with the Software as long as i will.

And if there is an Update that i like or need i go online (if i find the time) install it and back to working offline.

I really have a problem with that forced online way to get a working Software...so if MAXON is keeping this forced Licensing/Activation BS for perpetual Users (MSA) which pay upfront for updates here in Germany by the way, then i´m out of it and will force myself to learn Blender!!!

MAXON (to me) is only one step away from being the new Autodesk (in a worst way)!

Sorry for being so negativ, but for me that forced stuff is a really bad thing!

21 hours ago, briankoko said:

One question though, will all your versions be available to you with 'My MAXON' if you aren't on subscription and have a perpetual of R21 can you use that or can you use a version of R20?

I guess this could be possible—though not probable.

I don't anticipate MAXON adding access to previous versions via your sign-in to My MAXON.

Meaning: You install R21, authenticate / login (Perpetual license) and activate (ping to MAXON's servers). Then, some sort of menu or system allows for download and install of R20, R19, and/or R18, on whichever system you’re using at the time.

My guess is that My MAXON will only work for R21 and future releases.

I thought I had read that MAXON reserves the right to support up to three (3), previous releases—if I remember correctly. But, no more than that. So, I can’t see them providing installers for anything older than R18 or R19, under my hypothetical My MAXON scenario / example.

--

"2 Cents" ::):

I really stings to pay in advance and, then, have this not-so-small change to licensing occur.

The only way I would, remotely, consider using R21 is via RLM licensing. And, I don't love it. My guess is pricing will be double, for this type of Floating License, compared to what my MSA (1-yr agreement, valid for R21) cost (when I paid last year).

--

I, honestly, don't want my posts to come across as negative. But, if we can't voice our concerns here (and in other forums)... then where?

Many—even users of other, competing software—are watching to see how this all pans out.

I, also, don't want to lose sight of the fact that there are some really great people on all sides of these conversations. I wish everyone nothing but the best.

Sorry for the lengthy posts. I have read every word, so far, of this thread; all 60 pages. Very interested in everyone’s thoughts.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:57 AM, nightlight said:

I think it´s time for me to say goodbye forever to Cinema4D / MAXON!

I have no problem with the money for MSA and the baby steps in development (i do mostly Character Animations) and i have also not a problem with the “first time“ online activation....BUT...to be forced to go online every 14 Days to have a working Software is the Dealbreaker for me. That´s exactly why i´m not a X-Particles and Cycles4D User. I own Zbrush which also has a Online Activation System, but after that i can work with the Software as long as i will.

Insydium does not advertise it, but they do have a way for you not to have to go online to reactivate the software for a 3 month period of time.  If you push them maybe they make it 6 months or a year.  Call or email them about it and they will tell you about that option.  Hopefully MAXON has a similar option.  It would be annoying to log in every 14 days or so.  Logging in once every 6 months is not so much a problem.  If they make it so the nodes for team render have to log in every few months that is a huge problem.  Nodes should only have to log in once if ever.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, 3DKiwi said:

The following quote sounds like they might do just that, but they have not figured it out officially yet.  If would make me feel better if right next to the perpetual option was a upgrade price for perpetual users of which old studio users get a lower price than other users.  I guess we have to wait.  Seems like it would be easy, but there is a ton of market analysis that goes into that one $#.

From RBerrett bottom of page 54 of this convo.

"MAXON will offer perpetual upgrades, as it says in the FAQ.

I can't give you a specific answer at this point as to when those upgrades will be offered, what they will cost or what they will be called, because as it states in the FAQ those details aren't yet fully defined. We'll have more communication on that going forward, based on development progress and customer feedback.

As to how long perpetual upgrades will continue to be offered - we're taking our cues from the userbase on that. You seem to assume the fact that we haven't announced an end date is a signal they're ending, but it's more clearly a signal that they'll be continuing. It means we haven't predetermined a sunset date for perpetual - or even that there will be a sunset date. We're still selling perpetual licenses - they're right there next to the subscription option. The only comments otherwise are conjecture."

60 pages ... that's a new record around here, no?

In any case, I hope MAXON revisits and truly offers a monthly payment of $59 for Cinema 4D. I was ready to leave Modo/Blender as I always loved Cinema, but it's still mostly a hobby for me and between paying nothing for Blender and 50/month on Modo to a big $700+ for Cinema, for now, I can stay where I am.

I do think I might join the London tour. For $95, I get to learn more about C4D with Chris Schmidt and also have a 3-month license of Cinema + Redshift. Not so bad. Come on MAXON! Help us help you! ;)