Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

Recommended Posts

if your cinema 4d version is :C4D VER: AFTER EFFECTS / C4D LITE, like stated in your profile I can understand why you are exited :)

then you are exactly the one this move is aimed at.

 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

... I have a sub, as do most of the people I know socially, and the sun ...

True. Many people have a Adobe Sub.

As Adobe was nearby a monopolist when they lured the graphical world on Cloud Nine.

Many had additional invested in Workflows based on their Software.

But most of all professional Users I know don´t like to rent.

They (have to) accept it because a change seems or is difficult, expensive or impossible.
The model is more loved by big agencies and users who do not necessarily make money from it.
And - naturaly - by the CEOs of Software Companies.

Share this post


Link to post

Jops - yes, exactly. Myself and hopefully many others.

 

Raischub, I know a guy who ran a local (small) production house. Short or medium term rentals also seemed to suit him as he seemed to change his focus every other year. Most recently hit outfit went from doing corporate video, to selling 3D printed models. He never would have been happy shelling out multiple K 's for Studio only to use it for a handful of months, but I expect will see the benefits of stopping and starting licensing as he sees fit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, BoganTW said:

Jops - yes, exactly. Myself and hopefully many others.

 

Raischub, I know a guy who ran a local (small) production house. Short or medium term rentals also seemed to suit him as he seemed to change his focus every other year. Most recently hit outfit went from doing corporate video, to selling 3D printed models. He never would have been happy shelling out multiple K 's for Studio only to use it for a handful of months, but I expect will see the benefits of stopping and starting licensing as he sees fit.

 

Didn´t say, there is no one.

Even when it sounds a bit strange...
Chanching business field - renting a 3D application for a few weeks (espec. printing 3D) - learning the software (some guys need years) - changing business field in the end.

But yes, why not. In this case he would be a perfect member f target group.

Subscription is OK.

As an option.

MAXON took the joice.

Share this post


Link to post

I've been on the fence about coming back into the fold and renewing my MSA.  While the thought of getting R21 Studio for the price of my MSA has many perks this whole subscription nonsense has me questioning that choice. too many unknowns. Just how perpetual is perpetual; 2, 3 , 5 years? also the phone home every two weeks scheme doesn't sit well with me, what happens if I forget to fire it up for a month? I would imagine it shuts down until it contacts MAXON? is there a penalty or does it just press on like before?  I have two weeks, hopefully some more information will be forthcoming before then.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bobc4d said:

I've been on the fence about coming back into the fold and renewing my MSA.  While the thought of getting R21 Studio for the price of my MSA has many perks this whole subscription nonsense has me questioning that choice. too many unknowns. Just how perpetual is perpetual; 2, 3 , 5 years? also the phone home every two weeks scheme doesn't sit well with me, what happens if I forget to fire it up for a month? I would imagine it shuts down until it contacts MAXON? is there a penalty or does it just press on like before?  I have two weeks, hopefully some more information will be forthcoming before then.

It's your decision. I hope you appreciate your individual power and enjoy that, unsullied. You have an abundance of options if you are bold and willing to transition. (these transitions are surprisingly easy when we see the need.)

 

As for MAXON...and their policies...it's abundantly clear what they intend to do. No fuzziness really when we view as adults. They are hell bent on forcing subscriptions upon their users. "Bend over and take it".

 

They might smooth talk like politicians or drug dealers....perhaps offer "enticements".... but that's the reality. That's the new MAXON leadership.

 

Frankly, unlike Adobe which did this from market dominance, I think MAXON does this in a position of  weakness. (prime to be plucked)

 

If bending over isn't  your style...there are options. No right or wrong as a user. Do as you wish--I mean that, sincerely. And Bob...no matter what....I wish you the best.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/13/2019 at 3:22 AM, bobc4d said:

I've been on the fence about coming back into the fold and renewing my MSA.  While the thought of getting R21 Studio for the price of my MSA has many perks this whole subscription nonsense has me questioning that choice. too many unknowns. Just how perpetual is perpetual; 2, 3 , 5 years? also the phone home every two weeks scheme doesn't sit well with me, what happens if I forget to fire it up for a month? I would imagine it shuts down until it contacts MAXON? is there a penalty or does it just press on like before?  I have two weeks, hopefully some more information will be forthcoming before then.

I understand you completely.

 

In your situation I would do it like the most are planning...:

If you just have the chance to renew your MSA (which actualy should be cheaper than a year of subscription), I would do so (Even if I do not like to advise you to give the NEW MAXON money).
You are sparing time. Learning a new 3D Software isn´t that easy. And maybe you have PlugIns which are not transfereable.

In this case you have the actual Software & You keep the (not calling home) Version20 also.

(Of course you can also stay with V20, but I expect that next year (when they let the cat out of the bag), those who still have honest licenses get far better offers to relinquish those rights. Also depends on whether you can use the functions of V21. I also believe, that we can see a lot of new features at this breaking-point in the NEW MAXONs history/strategy. Maybe some that are saved from V21 ; )

You can open your files at any time without additional Payment.

Your Work is in an save place. No one has the key (activation server) to lock them away.

In the interim of that year (till they go totaly on subscription - I don´t think we will ever see a Perpetual V22) you can look out and test alternatives. The free ones like Blender (which indeed became a real alternative and still growing like hell) or the competitors (which are - costs - not so far away and have interessting offers/licenses, & in some cases much more features). Depends a bit on what you are doing.
Or you can decide to stay with NEW MAXON, in case there is nothing else satisfying you.

 

BtW:

Most of my projects are not done with the current Version I OWN. I have many PlugIns which will not work with V20 or I don´t like to renew (because they were BUYABLE in the past ; ) them.
So I use old Versions (V17+) all the time and I´m staisfied. Nothing missing. Or very seldom - to be true.

What I will say: If you are not willing to go on Subscription, after V21 (as I said - I´m absolutely sure there will never be a V22 Perpetual & the silence from NEW MAXONS Side says the rest) use this Version (and save your money) for a couple of years (3+)*.
In most cases It will fit & I wonder if we see all that must have features when everything is on "rent only".
(And even if - and you need a new feature for a project - you can subscripe additionaly for a short time)

Have a look at Adobe: I can´t see (realy) any Absolutely-Must-Have-Killer-Feature since they invented the Cash Cow (CC) in 2012 (!).

There are new Features, naturaly, but I don´t want to edit Video on my CellPhone ; ).
Also connecting to the whole worlds communities and social networks isn´t my favorite plan.
You know?
I think it will not be that different with NEW MAXON.

So you have a couple of years to see what competition does and offers.

NEW MAXON isn´t a monopolist as Adobe, and in my eyes they are on a risky path.

Annoying longtime users is perhaps something that backfires.

(And I realy believe they have the plan B - which means Adobe takes over NEW MAXON)


So anything can happen.


Simply buy time.

Don't make yourself dependent to lockable Files..

 

*) When I say save your money: If you can do it - put the money aside. It is always good to have a plus (For all those who scream hurray, when again somethings only to rent, one has the constant impression, that´s only because the money for investments is missing).
May be Affinity comes out -  in a few years - with a 3D program and a fair license!?

 

Share this post


Link to post

@Raischub thank you for the well reasoned reply. I have been playing with Houdini for about two years and really learning it over the last 8 months, I am coming along but there is SO much to that program I feel like I did when first starting out in C4D.  I have made decent progress and would hate to give up/in that progress. I may keep learning it and dust the cobwebs off C4D and use both but then that'll probably put my brain in complete meltdown. :confused:

 

@Icecaveman I don't really see it as bending over more like being given an ice cream cone when it is 10°F outside. It left me with a cold feeling. I was pissed off at first because when the announcement that "that guy" from Adobe was coming on board a couple of years ago there was much teeth gnashing that C4D would go subscription. If I recall our fears were allayed not "officially" but in general terms that it most likely would not happen. well it did and after cooling my feeling now is: Dr. Strangelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Subscription. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not saying this could/would happen, but do you know how ticked I would be if I purchased MSA for R21, received R21 perpetual with the current features list and that's all the updates I would get for my MSA except for bug fixes, and then a month later a new update was rolled out to subscribers that included a complete BodyPaint overhaul (or something similarly awesome). Again, not saying that would happen, but it did cross my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bobc4d said:

@Raischub thank you for the well reasoned reply. I have been playing with Houdini for about two years and really learning it over the last 8 months, I am coming along but there is SO much to that program I feel like I did when first starting out in C4D.  I have made decent progress and would hate to give up/in that progress. I may keep learning it and dust the cobwebs off C4D and use both but then that'll probably put my brain in complete meltdown. :confused:

 

@Icecaveman I don't really see it as bending over more like being given an ice cream cone when it is 10°F outside. It left me with a cold feeling. I was pissed off at first because when the announcement that "that guy" from Adobe was coming on board a couple of years ago there was much teeth gnashing that C4D would go subscription. If I recall our fears were allayed not "officially" but in general terms that it most likely would not happen. well it did and after cooling my feeling now is: Dr. Strangelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Subscription. 

 

Sweet post!

 

Each plots their own course. I feel like I'm almost already an intermediate level Blender user (in 10 days of use). Loving it. And R20 will be on the drive when needed (for sometime anyway). We all have different priorities and perspectives.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Latest Topics

Latest Comments

×
×
  • Create New...