Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

3 hours ago, kbar said:

And from my past experience Maya broke every plugin every release as well.  C4D was a rare gem where they were able to keep the plugins compatible for so long. This was done through extensive effort on their part, but meant they couldn't change much under the hood. Now they are updating all the internal code, and the SDKs to give plugin developers more features and power, so things change.

The difference is that Cinema4D NEEDS plugins to do stuff that Maya does out of the box. Particles? You need X-Particles. Fire? TurbulanceFD. Fluids? Realflow. Proper UVs? Seamilar II. GPU Render? Octane or Redshift.

But Maya does all of that out of the box, no plugins needed. So, yeah, it is more important for Cinema 4D to not break plugins than for Maya.

I pay US $399 per year for my Modo maintenance contract to keep my perpetual version up to date. Alternatively as Kent listed you can pay $599 per year for a subscription.

1 hour ago, hikarubr said:

The difference is that Cinema4D NEEDS plugins to do stuff that Maya does out of the box. Particles? You need X-Particles. Fire? TurbulanceFD. Fluids? Realflow. Proper UVs? Seamilar II. GPU Render? Octane or Redshift.

But Maya does all of that out of the box, no plugins needed. So, yeah, it is more important for Cinema 4D to not break plugins than for Maya.

Yes but that is why Maya is $297 USD a month and C4D is about $67 USD a month. You can't expect software to stay stagnant and never update its SDK. Plugin developers will need to adapt and support multiple versions. Which is exactly what Octane does. There is a different plugin for every release of C4D, since new features were added each release that needed to be supported. People will just have to get used to having to update plugins every release. Even I have to do this myself, since every version since R17 had some slight changes that required me to do a new build of the plugin for every release since (sdk changes, Visual Studio/XCode changes, new versions of OSX or Windows etc.... all require rebuilds and adaptations of code). Python based plugins will largely remain unaffected. 

28 minutes ago, kbar said:

Yes but that is why Maya is $297 USD a month and C4D is about $67 USD a month. 

Maya is actually $250 ANNUALLY if you make less than 100k. 

And Cinema 4D is NOT $67 (or $59 in the US). This is disingenuous false advertising by MAXON. 

Cinema 4D now is $720 annually or $81,99 annually.

You cannot just divide your annual price and claim that's the monthly price if you do not let the user actually pay that price ($59) monthly. Otherwise you could just say that Cinema4D only costs U$2 daily! 

And as I said before, this type of false advertising is illegal in a lot of countries. Maybe MAXON will get away with this because 3d is such a niche market, but it is illegal in Canada, Brazil and other countries. 

I love C4D, but between Maya Indie and Blender 2.8, MAXON will need to revise their prices. 

They are alienating their traditional users while they won't get the new users they hope, simply because Maya Indie and Blender 2.8 made the new "cheaper" Cinema 4D price look like very expensive.  

No UV tools, no decent particles, fluids or fire, no integrated GPU render. Cinema 4D needs to be cheaper than Maya. It makes no sense to be more expensive. 

9 minutes ago, hikarubr said:

Cinema 4D now is $720 annually or $81,99 annually.

You cannot just divide your annual price and claim that's the monthly price if you do not let the user actually pay that price ($59) monthly. Otherwise you could just say that Cinema4D only costs U$2 daily! 

Yes I did the same with Adobe when I needed it. I got a discount by agreeing to lock into 1 year and my monthly amount worked out at $70 per month vs $120 if I paid monthly. So does it really matter? Are you intending on only using Cinema 4D for just 1 month? Do you only want to pay for every second month? If your intending on using it for a full year then get the discount and pay the 61.47 euros a month. If not then you can pay purely on an ad-hoc monthly basis and pay $104.54 euros per month. Its up to you and when you need a licence. 

I just don't see what all the uproar is with regards to the argument about the monthly not being monthly. If you don't need it for a few months they go pure monthly. All depends on what you want to use C4D for. Better than shelling out over $3500 bucks when your not even sure if you will use it for a couple of weeks.

13 minutes ago, hikarubr said:

Maya is actually $250 ANNUALLY if you make less than 100k. 

Just wanted to say that yes I agree with you in regards to Indie licences. It would be great if MAXON announced an indie licence for hobbyist users under 100k.

3 hours ago, kbar said:

Just wanted to say that yes I agree with you in regards to Indie licences. It would be great if MAXON announced an indie licence for hobbyist users under 100k.

i'm quite sure there's also a lot of professionals under 100k USD. ;) probably true for most freelancers.

55 minutes ago, everfresh said:

i'm quite sure there's also a lot of professionals under 100k USD. ;) probably true for most freelancers.

Yes very true. But that number is what most companies use for what they call the Indie license. 

5 hours ago, kbar said:

...just don't see what all the uproar is with regards to the argument about the monthly not being monthly.

It's very simple: it's dishonest.

24 minutes ago, MikeA said:

It's very simple: it's dishonest

How? There are two prices on this page both shown in their monthly amounts so that you can compare the difference.

https://www.MAXON.net/en/buy/

Is it perhaps that they are asking you to be billed annually? Would you rather it said billed monthly but you have to lock in for 12 months? Just wondering what it is about the wording that has people so fired about about it. I see exactly the same thing everywhere for almost every other subscription based software. Even my car insurance is billed annually but quoted as monthly to indicate the savings I make. So does my gym.  

Is it that it seems you need to pay the lump sum annually in one go? Rather than being split up over 12 payments?

Or is it the price?