Sign in to follow this  
cinomadic

Maxon Subscribtion Plan Discussions

It wouldn't make any sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :) 

My Feeling.

Subscription : YES Finally. really happy about this But im sure the transition from perpetual licenses will be problematic

Redshift in Subscription: Double YES!

New caps and Bevels. : sounds kinda boring,really glad about this. Im constantly extruding

Field Forces, Looks really cool. cant wait to try it

Denoiser: Nice

Open API for Nodes: Sweet. cant wait for Redshift to use it

AOV Node: Sweet as well. hope redshift uses this layout

kinda underwhelming, I guess alot of time was invested into subscription and license changes.

1 minute ago, Falstaff said:

It wouldn't make any sense, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. :) 

i have enough faith in MAXON to be sure it won't happen.

I have just been doing my maths. I have R20 and was due to get a new MSA for £660 ( inc VAT) in August. If I don’t do this I can take out a subscription which will cost me £676 so roughly the same money. Now I also have a Redshift licence which will cost me £205 to upgrade. So if I take out the new MAXON subscription with the Redshift licence that will cost me £945 whereas the old method would be £865 so an extra £80...

Mind you I don’t know if there is VAT on the Redshift licence of £205 which would make it £246 but still slightly cheaper,

VERY disappointing.

I had high hopes on MAXON's big announcement, but the major news is the new licensing and bundling options. I expected the inclusion of X-Particles / Cycles 4D,  Forester / Rock Engine or similar. Or some other rocking new features.

As a hobbyist I didn't mind to pay for Studio MSA in order to have a fully offline perpetual license available. And I'm not renting software, ever.

Actually I expected something like an Indie Version or Free Non-Commercial, looking at Blender 2.80+.

The new features are nice but nothing ground breaking.

- Force Fields - nice

- UV - "Cinema 4D Release 21 lays the groundwork for future UV enhancements" -Really? Rebuilt UV tools were expected in R20! Luckily there is Rizom.

- Mixamo rig - Would have been better to just integrate the People In Motion plugin but ok, that's useful

- Bevel - well they were already pretty good before

- New Particle System - ???

- XPresso using new node system - ???

- Redshift with new nodal shading built in R21?

The new online activation system is utter BS to me. I see that major part of the MSA money went into the new licensing system.

I want to use my purchased software wherever whenever, not depending on any company's goodwill, policies, licensing servers or online connectivity.

"Single-user licenses associated with a MAXON Account require internet connection for initial activation and must connect every 14 days for continued use." - Yeah I have plenty examples where this caused problems in the past and future endeavors trying to move customers to subscription only.

Then this (already a nice glimpse how MAXON will operate in future):

"Can I upgrade my perpetual license?

If you own a perpetual license of Cinema 4D, you’re eligible for discounted Cinema 4D subscription pricing. You’re also able to upgrade to an R21 perpetual license. Some future Cinema 4D upgrades may be available only to subscription customers, while others may be available as perpetual licenses at upgrade pricing. Specific timing and pricing of each upgrade is not yet defined."

I'm pretty done with MAXON as customer and keep using my R20 Studio and the various 3rd party plugins / render engines.

So an R21 perpetual license requires login and will occasionally check online ?  That surely means perpetual only in the BS factor ?

Someone tell me I'm wrong (as opposed to marketing the new system).

I had decided to stay with V19 for a while because it's already expensive for me to upgrade anytime soon, not sure I will update at any point now. I will keep using what i have for my current projects and get off my butt and start seriously learning blender again, if for nothing else as a back up plan. I hate subscriptions plans and having to sign in over the internet just to use something. I am not always somewhere where the internet is  easy or possible to connect to. While doing a photo shoot with my brother in Colorado there was no access at all and his Lightroom was just dead the whole time. Luckily I had switched to Affinity Photo already and was able to continue as I normally do. I own't make any decisions until I get a better handle on what the situation really is and it sinks in better. 

I’m a bit disappointed at this presentation. The teasing was quite pompous, just to announce a subscription model in the end.  It will mainly benefit to new or non-studio users but not to historical Studio users like me. MAXON wants to recruit new users. Fair enough but what’s in for me, if I just want to renew my MSA once a year as I have for the last decade?  Why should I lose Cineversity? Why should premium users take a toll? 

Spending so much time on the pricing model and so little time on the actual new features was also quite frustrating and added up to the disappointment although I understand that it’s not Dave’s job to do an in-depth product demo.

Strangely enough, for the first time in a decade, I have almost no idea at what’s new in R21 apart from a new license server, a new pricing model, a global E-com site etc.  I kind of miss the magic of every year’s announcement. Anyway, at least MAXON kept a perpetual license model with annual upgrades similar to the MSA scheme. I remember asking Dave to keep it on this forum so thanks for listening. :) 

I just can’t understand why we lost cineversity. 

Sorry for sounding so negative, I just think that I’m not in the target audience for this whole price overhaul and the new product features kind of got lost in the way. 

R21 might have some nice features, but the whole subscription versus perpetual license leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Disappointed in the direction taken.

Additionally, from the uploaded video reviewing the new features, I understand that plugins in R21 are broken again.

As the news has just gotten in, I haven't decided what to do with my plugins just yet. Don't know if I'll go for R21 or just stay with R20, and obviously that decision will affect the availability of the plugins I wrote (and am currently writing).

I was really looking forward to the announcement today. Was ready for something "industry-changing" and for a "new c4d" as had been communicated by  Mcgavran. Right now I'm bummed and blue.

There are some nice new features in R21 truly, but nothing huge. And while I'm glad new users will be able to adopt c4d more easily...the value of my license took a hit today. And on top of that... I face the prospect of having to pay more...only to receive less value in return. (no Cineversity, modest upgrade)

I'm one of the biggest MAXON fans in the world...but not feeling the love so much today.

3 minutes ago, Adrien said:

I’m a bit disappointed at this presentation. The teasing was quite pompous, just to announce a subscription model in the end.  It will mainly benefit to new or non-studio users but not to historical Studio users like me. MAXON wants to recruit new users. Fair enough but what’s in for me, if I just want to renew my MSA once a year as I have for the last decade?  Why should I lose Cineversity? Why should premium users take a toll? 

Spending so much time on the pricing model and so little time on the actual new features was also quite frustrating and added up to the disappointment although I understand that it’s not Dave’s job to do an in-depth product demo.

Strangely enough, for the first time in a decade, I have almost no idea at what’s new in R21 apart from a new license server, a new pricing model, a global E-com site etc.  I kind of miss the magic of every year’s announcement. Anyway, at least MAXON kept a perpetual license model with annual upgrades similar to the MSA scheme. I remember asking Dave to keep it on this forum so thanks for listening. :) 

I just can’t understand why we lost cineversity. 

Sorry for sounding so negative, I just think that I’m not in the target audience for this whole price overhaul and the new product features kind of got lost in the way. 

What's in it for you? Many things. First, all of the development time that used to go into making all the versions separate (Prime, Visualize, Broadcast, Studio) can now be dedicated to working on the actual software. New features, stability, etc. That's a benefit for everyone. Secondly, it will bring more people into being PAID users of C4D which means they can continue to add to their staff to do more QC and more development.

There is no cost difference between the subscription and your MSA, so you're not losing anything. You're just gaining.

You don't lose Cineversity; it comes with a subscription.

Current MSA holders get a discount when they choose to get a subscription. Not only do they prorate your remaining MSA months, but you also get a discount on your first year of subscription. So current users are being rewarded for their loyalty.

As to new features, there are a bunch! They just weren't covered very much in the pricing announcement presentation. They're highlighted on MAXON's website, but the big ones for me are the new bevel system (WORLD'S better than the old one) and Field Forces,. There are also tons of speed increases in modeling tools with things being tied into the new core, caching and other volume enhancements, and tons of QOL and workflow enhancements.

46 minutes ago, OmegaMan said:

So an R21 perpetual license requires login and will occasionally check online ?  That surely means perpetual only in the BS factor ?

Someone tell me I'm wrong (as opposed to marketing the new system).

It says right here https://www.MAXON.net/en/products/cinema-4d/new-in-release-21/faq/

Perpetual licensing will be managed by the same activation system as the subscription so perpetual licenses are transportable between computers.

It also says:

Since the MSA will no longer be available, perpetual licenses do not include subscription benefits (Cineversity and upgrades).

So if you don't have Cineversity, that means you lose access to their plugins as well, right?

MAXON's just becoming its own AD. They were right about one thing, its going to be cheaper for me because I think I will forego renewing my MSA and stay on R20. Because I see once your on the subscription base you can't stop and stay with what you have.