Info News:
  • C4D Cafe 2.0 COMING SOON!

Sign in to follow this  
pedrosoto

Same old skull on cloth

Posted (edited)

hi everyone, I am trying to reproduce the effect of the first image. I try it with the volume builder,(second image) but I have problems getting wrinkles and stretching. I cannot do it( I assume)  with the collider deformer because the client wants many details on the face of the skull. could someone guide me on how to get the desired effect? maybe adding a stiffness map to the smoothing deformer? but I don't know how to. thanks in advance for the help. something like the third image... I don't know! ( I have to animate the skull, so I can just model the wrinkles, and cloth simulation don't give me good details )

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 7.47.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 7.49.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 7.51.25 PM.png

Edited by Cerbera
Capitals in Titles, moved to correct section

I also thought the Collision Deformer would be the way to go here, and spent a fair amount of time playing with falloffs to try and get closer to OP's first ref pic. But we really do need a ludicrous level of polygon density in the collider plane to achieve enough level of detail in the impression of the model we're pushing through (meaning it is VERY slow to update changes), and I was unable to get any falloffs to look like realistically stretched cloth that way.

I didn't get a great result with smoothing deformers and a vertex map in the stiffness field either, and we would have to find a way to make that vertex map change based on which parts of the animated skull was touching it, which I'm sure is possible, but isn't something I have tried before...

And then I remembered the Tension tag. I haven't tried this yet, but that would certainly be one way of getting wrinkles in the right places... you could use that with a material or a displacer deformer to do displacement of your collided mesh, which might give you the sort of clothy stretching you're looking for, although I guess this will depend on you driving the displacement with the right sort map, and like you, I am not sure what that would look like - presumably that would also have to change based on which parts of the skull were in contact with the sheet, so we might have to get a proximal shader involved as well...

It is an interesting problem - I look forward to reading everyone else's thoughts on it..

CBR

I also tried the collision deformer and like Cerbera can't get high enough quality to what the OP is asking.  Vector displacements would work if C4D supported it, but that depends on how the animation was to go as if the face rolls against the surface or just pushes out.  

I tried with volumes, that did let me get the quality with a low voxel size.

Dan

Would sculpting the skull on the flat surface work?

Maybe the sculpt detail/height could be animated  with a pose morph.

The documentation says you can use sculpt brushes with the pose morph tag, but I haven't tried it.

EDIT:

In the documentation, under Sculpt Layer Manager/ Tools Menu

It mentions the Sculpt to Pose Morph command. 

My understanding is that you can store different sculpt states as individual Pose Morphs states and animate between them. So this may be an approach worth trying, as it should give you the level detail you're looking for.

Phil Richards, www.fugidesign.co.uk

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Would sculpting the skull on the flat surface work?

Maybe the sculpt detail/height could be animated  with a pose morph.

The documentation says you can use sculpt brushes with the pose morph tag, but I haven't tried it.

EDIT:

In the documentation, under Sculpt Layer Manager/ Tools Menu

It mentions the Sculpt to Pose Morph command. 

My understanding is that you can store different sculpt states as individual Pose Morphs states and animate between them. So this may be an approach worth trying, as it should give you the level detail you're looking for.

He could try to use volumes to push the skull into a copy of the plane, make it editable, then use the sculpting projection tool to project that into the original plane into a pose morph as you suggested, that way he won't need to sculpt a skull.

Dan

I wonder if you could set up the scene with the skull face and hand as desired, then render a depth map to use as displacement on the plane but before that take it into pshop and kind of paint / blend in the blanket areas. May even be something you could do in a layer shader.

Not something Ive tried, just a thought.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • thanks for all the answer, I have tried almost all the suggestions before posting the post. and I do not get the desired result. this is my results till now. the skull has to take a breath and exhale.