Sign in to follow this  
Leon Godwin

Hide object but keep shadow

Posted (edited)

Hello, New user here with version R17. I am trying to create a TV studio image to use in a green screen video scenario. My final video output will consists of a TV studio with highly reflective surfaces , a human presenter behind a podium\desk. In a separate video editing application, I will have a background layer which is the TV studio, the green screen layer for the presenter and then the foreground layer would be the desk for the presenter to stand behind.

When I have the TV studio and desk in the same image, then I cannot put the presenter behind the desk as it is a flat layer. If I have the TV studio as the background layer, and a separate image file for the desk, then the desk cast no shadows or reflections on the TV studio.

What I want to do is have the background TV studio image, with the desk casting shadows and reflections, however I want the actual desk to be invisible. Then in the video software I can place the presenter in front of the TV studio and then place the desk image in front of the presenter, and the desk will have shows and reflections in the background layer.

I do accept that the presenter will not have a reflection or shadow, but in this scene is does not matter. 

Can anyone help?

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to Correct Section (compositing etc)

Where did you get R17 from ? That hasn't been commercially available for 3 years.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • It is what is installed on PC at the job I have just started. I don't get to choose the tools unfortunately. 

OK, that's fine; R17 should be able to cope with this. If I have understood you correctly (and not 100% sure I have) don't you just need a compositing tag on the desk with Seen By Camera unchecked ? That should still leave the shadows it casts on to the backdrop...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Wow!!! that worked. Thanks so much

You're welcome. Very useful things those compositing tags :)

CBR