Sign in to follow this  
Pamela Gray

Long Render - Project Needing Optimised?

Hi Guys,

I'm still really new to C4D and struggling with a project that contains reflections, glass transparency and GI.

I rendered a test at 720p with physical sampling at low which took 40 hours for 1150 odd frames. Now I'm trying to render the HD 1080p version - I upped the dimensions and the sampling to high which didn't make much difference except my computer only managed 38 frames in 15 hours...

I'm not sure if my settings are wrong for the project or if this type of thing is just going to take ages because of the materials and I need to sacrifice something. But any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a render still, my computer spec and the file: https://we.tl/t-CHaimy1efE

Thank you!!

vfd60yypz0c31.png

1150730126_Screenshot2019-07-23at11_22_51.thumb.png.f9457cb3fa45fd26127506db414a52ee.png

2 hours ago, Pamela Gray said:

... that contains reflections, glass transparency and GI.

There's your issue. These are all pretty much the worst you can do for rendertime, except maybe volumetrics like SSS and smoke / fog.

You'll need to sacrifice something, either live with more noise (which is often way less visible in motion) or, for example, get rid of GI. Normally you should only use GI if you absolutely need to. It's just super slow and problematic with animations.

What do you need the GI for in this particular scene?

I just looked at the file. You don't need GI at all in the scene. The visual impact is completely negligible and not worth the rendertime AT ALL.

I've set up a way, way faster Rendersetting for you. File is attached. Basically, I switched to Standard Render (physical not necessary), gave the scene a black Sky, disabled GI and lowered the Anti-Aliasing threshold. The scene looks practically identical but one frame renders in under a minute on my machine.

Just make sure all the materials work the same without GI, haven't looked at every single one of them.

Download here: https://we.tl/t-E6B19RTadl

• Topic Author
  • Really appreciate you taking the time to do that, the frames are now super speedy without the GI and physical render.

The bubbles/spheres suffer a bit material wise (which I can just render separately or adjust) but overall this has saved me SO much time - thank you!!

Hi,

Here's file with some optimization, for example frame 370 took around 11 sec now, on 7820X 4.4 GHz

Cheers, Dane

Elastic_Thinking_MASTER_23rd_July_2.zip

1 hour ago, Pamela Gray said:

Really appreciate you taking the time to do that, the frames are now super speedy without the GI and physical render.

The bubbles/spheres suffer a bit material wise (which I can just render separately or adjust) but overall this has saved me SO much time - thank you!!

You're welcome! Hope you learnt a thing or two from the settings :) Optimizing rendersettings can be a huuuge timesaver if you know a couple of tricks and rules.