Sign in to follow this  
Fastbee

Quad Remesher by Exoside

Coming out for C4D in the future.  Made by same people that made ZRemesher.  Looks to be really good.

Quad Remesher site

those examples look pretty good. especially impressed by the edge flow on the skull.

It looks promising.

Does it automatically retopologise the big triangly elephant in the 3DS video?

Wow. Interested!

Interesting....they finally bottled Cerbera into a plugin.

...and some said it couldn't be done.

;-)

Dave

1 hour ago, 3D-Pangel said:

they finally bottled Cerbera into a plugin.

If they did, it will be a very expensive plugin.

I really hope this is as great as it looks. It is made by the same talented developer who made the Zbrush Zremesher tool so it should be good.

Automated retopo of Boolean, CAD en VDB models is what I would call industry changing ;)

The developer said the C4D plugin would come out in the late Fall.

(according to someone in another forum who contacted him)

It is the Zbrush Zremsher technology. Which means while it is quite good on simple stuff and especially good for background objects it still fails for animation quality. But it is getting better and a cool tool. But not yet there for production meshes.

Bit of a 'swings and roundabouts' situation for me, that one...

On the plus side, it's certainly going to make a lot of jobs massively faster, and save the world a lot of tedious manual retopo while we deal with the ever growing client stream of awful CAD models that need sorting out.

But I quite like some of those retopo jobs, so will miss them if they become a lot less infrequent or disappear altogether. Might also mean that a lot less of those jobs are offered to anyone anymore, modellers or not...

I don't think it can entirely replace the art of modelling though - flow seems largely undirectable, and in the videos I saw  even though its choices were quite good on the whole, it seemed you were kinda stuck with whatever flow it went for, but TBH I'm secretly quite glad it can't do that - means that proper modellers have got another few years in the ring before we're entirely replaced by AI and our skills go the same way as roof-thatching and become 'lost knowledge' :)

CBR

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Bit of a 'swings and roundabouts' situation for me, that one...

On the plus side, it's certainly going to make a lot of jobs massively faster, and save the world a lot of tedious manual retopo while we deal with the ever growing client stream of awful CAD models that need sorting out.

But I quite like some of those retopo jobs, so will miss them if they become a lot less infrequent or disappear altogether. Might also mean that a lot less of those jobs are offered to anyone anymore, modellers or not...

I don't think it can entirely replace the art of modelling though - flow seems largely undirectable, and in the videos I saw  even though its choices were quite good on the whole, it seemed you were kinda stuck with whatever flow it went for, but TBH I'm secretly quite glad it can't do that - means that proper modellers have got another few years in the ring before we're entirely replaced by AI and our skills go the same way as roof-thatching and become 'lost knowledge' :)

CBR

Take heart:  Great art and talented artists will always find a way.

I had the great opportunity to talk to a traditional matte painter from the golden days of photo-chemical/mechanical special effects (his big claim to fame is that he did the opening title shot for Ghostbusters).  He also did matte paintings for Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  The guy is talented.  I met him at the MAXON Power Integration tour in Boston so he made the switch to digital.  But what struck me from talking to him  is that the shift to digital was a frightening change for the SFX artists of the day.  And this guy new them all...all the greats (even Denis Muren who is the grandfather of digital VFX).  The artists were all terrified (which is understandable) but what struck me is that even some of the seasoned VFX supervisors  were scared (accept for Mr. Muren of course).  Change is always scary.

I used to study the old techniques as I have loved VFX since the 1960's when I was a young lad.  What I have found is that knowledge of the old techniques provides useful insights in how to make things look real in the digital world.  Hey, the old timers faced the same issues in the toothpicks and rubber band era of VFX too!  Knowing how they solved it in the physical world helps replicating reality in the digital world as well.

Well...new tools create new opportunities and possibilities.  Just look at how many people are in the industry today as compared to the 1980's.  DCC is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Re-topology may be automated by the AI demons you fear, but hard-surface sculpting may now become an even bigger new industry  than it is today with new tools and techniques you never would have considered unless you were pushed into it.  Hey, you would never use boolean tools because right now it is easier to just polygon model it from the beginning then mash it together and fix it later.  But what if you could use boolean modeling tools in ways you never dreamed of and get perfect quads with outstanding mesh flow because some AI was able to make it work?

Your tremendous knowledge of quad modeling is only going to give you an advantage because even should an AI system do it for you, you will have a deeper understanding of what those algorithms need as you work with the new tools/techniques that these new capabilities create.  That insight will help you push these new tools further than you could if you didn't have that knowledge and that will allow you to once again stand out as a gifted modeler.

So have no fear.  You are exceptionally talented modeler and while the tools may change, your talent, knowledge, experience and insights will always be in demand.  So don't fear the change....just go with it.

Dave

Thank you for those very kind words, and you do make some very good points there, Dave - I hope that is indeed the way it goes :)