• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Bolos

Sexy Lizards

WIP loop video

Trying to make a video from this illustration I made a year ago :

aaa.thumb.jpg.49d237449f8c9aacc786df2da5e8cb89.jpg

with textures it should like this :

822009284_ScreenShot2019-07-29at02_26_37.thumb.png.90d97a1b75c9c9924174e1e680c905dc.png

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys, I'm wondering about what kind of workstations are needed to make animations with multiple characters/objects with various rigs ?

Here's an example of the kind of video I'd like to make, with like 5/10 characters and kinda mid quality renders, but something still slightly more refined than the video below (more like my link on the first post) :

Alexandre Louvenaz - Selfish Workers

I guess my rig and character are heavier (mid/high poly + rig with mouth/tongue + finger controls) compared to those in the video above but it seems I won't be able to go crazier with my computer.

My lizard is around 40 000 polys (600 000 with sculpt layer) and it's playing smoothly in the viewport when I hide the sculpt layers, sky and floor. Gets tricky with those last two visible and the Viewport screams HALP!! when I duplicate the lizard.

I guess I can animate the lizards separately for the video and just make them both visible for rendering.

But obviously this would be insane with more stuff.

So here's a few questions I have in mind :

- Are character rigs resources hungry ? I guess so, but does using limited rigs (no face or finger controls with lower poly count for example (like the video above)) vastly improve performance ?

- Would having a faster CPU (a Xeon I guess ?) get me to multiply characters and rigs in a scene or would the improvement be very limited ?

I have a i7 4400K CPU @ 3.49 GHz + 32 GB DDR3 RAM (+ GTX 770 4GB & GTX 1080 TI 11GB GPUs but I guess it's not relevant here) workstation.

I'd be also curious to know more precisely what kind of workstations are used in 3D animation. What kind of setup agencies/studios or freelancers making animations usually have ?

Thanks in advance.

You have a good setup. For animation needs if you want more power then look at higher clocked CPU's. There are also quite important timeline performance improvements, check it in demo once it is available :)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the insight @Hrvoje , I'll keep an eye on R21. I just found out that deactivating textures in the viewport helps tremendously! Kinda dumb not thinking about that earlier :)

• Topic Author
  • But with correctional pose morphs added, it gets slow again. *crying face emoji*

• Topic Author
  • Gave a new try at Redshift

lézards.jpg

Looking great! Though I think the leather should be scaled way up, unless you want the lizards to feel like they're human sized :)

• Topic Author
  • Ooh I didn’t think about that, thanks a lot for the idea! :D

• Topic Author
  • I'm really close to being done but there's still one main problem I can't solve.

I rigged the tongue of the lizard with an IK spline and it's attached to the jaw bone. The problem is that the tongue is moving sideways as the head is wobbling, so it's weird to look at. I tried a lot of different constrain tags and hierarchical positions but I did not managed to get rid of it.

If someone's willing to have a look at the file, here it is.

And here's some secondary ones :

• I also have a similar problem with its hand resting on its belly. I constrained the wrist to the belly but there's some latency following it (I thought I should use local P constraining but it doesn't do anything so I used global P).

• I'd also like to make it breathe and inflate/deflate the belly. I guess I can use pose morph for that and add a clamp constraint on top of the PSR one, then sliding the hand to match the belly. But maybe there's a smarter solution where I could constrain the hand to actual mesh points ? (I just found the inverse, attaching mesh points to objects).

• Last detail I can't fix is that some of my bones turned cyan (no idea what I've done) and they're still visible when I hide the layer they're on. It's bit annoying. (edit : just found it was because of my pose morph in edit mode)

Thanks in advance.

1123657671_ScreenShot2019-08-09at18_27_00.thumb.png.bb5e819fb74d34bf35f1f9ceba6a5d82.png