Sign in to follow this  
Olly Venning

Multiple Spring attachments

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise how to make a system similar to the video I've attached, where these 3 springs are all connected to the sphere, and they move dynamically.

I have played around with the spring & slider setup, using hard body dynamics, but this is something different. In a normal spring setup, I think you can only choose one connection at either end, so I'm wondering what technique might have been used to do this?

Thanks in advance :)

Here is a quickie which can help you. I did just one spring but you can copy and extrapolate the setup. Use the midpoint to control the "bend". If you are looking for more correct setup then that would be a bit more sophisticated rig. By the way, if you need to replicate the exact effect as above you could also use bend deformers

spring_rig.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • 37 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Here is a quickie which can help you. I did just one spring but you can copy and extrapolate the setup. Use the midpoint to control the "bend". If you are looking for more correct setup then that would be a bit more sophisticated rig. By the way, if you need to replicate the exact effect as above you could also use bend deformers

spring_rig.c4d 233.99 kB · 3 downloads

Hi Hrvoje, thanks so much for your reply, what a great community!

I'll confess I don't really do much rigging or XPresso, so this will be a good chance to try and learn some! I'm normally deep in particle and dynamic systems, so this is interesting to see this approach. Really appreciate your reply and example file! Many thanks :)

• Topic Author
  • @Hrvoje, I've been using a different spring system, as it has to react totally dynamically, using this system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e-oI1T_bmQ&t=121s

This is a great system, however, I've come across an issue which I think is in the way the XPresso works. I'm trying to make a grid of these springs, so using a cloner to make an array. However, the XPresso which gives the renderable spring geometry it's height, seems to stop functioning properly when used in the cloner.

I'm guessing that this is because it doesn;t know how to reference the different pieces of geometry? I'm inexperienced with XPresso, but do you know if this is fixable, or do I need to just manually clone them? (which is annoying if anything needs globally changing!)

I've attached a simple scene file showing a manually copied array, vs the cloner array. Thanks for any help in advance :)

Spring Eg.c4d

Clones are instances. You will either have to adapt the dynamics to work on whole clone constellation, or simply use real copies if that works for you already...

• Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

Clones are instances. You will either have to adapt the dynamics to work on whole clone constellation, or simply use real copies if that works for you already...

Thanks for your reply! The dynamics actually work fine in the cloner (when 'use instances' is switched off). The bit that doesnt work is the drawing of the spring geo, as it uses XPresso - which I guess doesn't function properly in the cloner. I was just wondering if there were any XPresso tricks to make it work inside the cloner.

Dynamics appear to work in cloner but they only work for source. To have dynamics on cloner you have to put the tag on cloner itself.  Problem here is that animation is driven by hidden collider that acts on height via Xpresso and that can't be transferred to clone. You can create individual springs and put them into Fracture so you can use effectors on them also