Sign in to follow this  
deck

New Layout Feedback!

I had to increase the browser  zoom to 150% now it fits:

Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 9.48.24 PM.png

53 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nope. 2 columns always worked well for me on PC, laptop or ipad. But I never tried it on a phone so maybe there were issues there...

I do think I prefer the one column as it used to be, 'latest posts' rather than the latest 5 in each section we have - some sections don't get new posts very often and are taking up quite a lot of screen space... but hey, maybe it will grow on me, and maybe Activities section will be a decent alternative...

But anyway, thanks for all your hard work in updating it...

CBR

Well, I think its time to try something different, I have been looking for last 3 years in that ugly 2 column theme and I just wanted to try something new. Hrvoje let me do what I think its best, so if we go downhill from this point, its on me and I will stepaside. :)

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

38 minutes ago, Igor said:

Well, I think its time to try something different

Of course - always good to try new things :) As much as I am used to the old 2 column familiarity I don't dislike the single column layout either, especially now it's gone back to latest threads. 

Don't work too hard ! You have to sleep sometime !

J

I quite like the new direction, although in my browser I wish the column was just a "little" bit wider but not a major. Also a suggestion is to maybe move "who's online & member statistics" down a bit so it sits below "latest topics/comments/jobs". I also wonder if the header could be tidied up eg: menu siting next to cafe logo, search as an icon only, advertising centered etc...  But like where its heading :)

Hello, it's just me or everything is too small (text etc...), also the entire width of the site is very narrow?

Looking on desktop it is very narrow. But I'm on a 27" iMac there.

On phone this morning I did think the new look was pretty good and stylish. So don't panic, take your time and polish whatever you need to. Overall impression feels quite positive - just the narrow desktop layout is a bit of a head scratcher.

My girlfriend does web design for both desktop and mobile and the occasional differences in getting the two to match often drive her crazy too.

Folks, thanks for so much feedback. We will defintely go and make a second pass on this layout and its features. We decided to make things from scratch becasue everytime there is an update of IPS, something needs to be updated and in most cases. And its not easy to update layout especially colors as not every color is reachable from AdminCP and usual edit settings. Often we need to enter CSS code, which can be a pain. Anyway, keep the feedback coming, Ill put it up together and undergo second major pass on the layout and features. Thanks folks! 

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • Seems to be the proper width now and scales down when I narrow the browser window. Not looked on a mobile device.

Deck

On 7/30/2019 at 7:45 AM, Igor said:

Folks, thanks for so much feedback. We will defintely go and make a second pass on this layout and its features ...

Just wondering about the clubs ...

I noticed within the new layout that "clubs" was part of the menu at the top. Now this menu item seems to be gone.

I never really knew, or understood, the concept of these clubs. Topics have always been available in their own (sub)categories.

To me the clubs seemed to distract away from categorized topics, as a club was its own set of categories.

Aside from that I am now wondering what happened to them? Are they temporarily unavailable due to building up from scratch? Or are they left out on purpose. Because, let's face it, the activity in these clubs has faded over time, and rather quickly, to the point that a club seemed completely inactive at all. It would make sense, from one point of view, to simply leave them out of the new layout if they're not active.

As I said, just wondering.

• Topic Author
  • The "latest comments" used to have the name of the person who left the latest comment, that would seem more useful / pertinent to me.

Also the latest topics list next to it seems rather pointless, with the main list at the top, this space would be better taken up with more "latest comments".

I know Igor has expressed an extreme dislike for the two column view, but for me it worked very well and one could see what was happening with the different subjects in one glance and who was posting those comments.

Im not a designer but the current layout seems all over the place and very disconnected, with 3 slide shows dividing the page and the blogs in the middle ( blog layout was always difficult to use ) then who's online, and finally the comments that only have context when related to the topics and include the author.

Sounds a bit brutal but thats my view, if it aint busted n all that......

Deck

I forgot to mention the logo, where did that spring from, I thought the previous competition winner was pretty good.

2 hours ago, C4DS said:

Just wondering about the clubs ...

I noticed within the new layout that "clubs" was part of the menu at the top. Now this menu item seems to be gone.

I never really knew, or understood, the concept of these clubs. Topics have always been available in their own (sub)categories.

To me the clubs seemed to distract away from categorized topics, as a club was its own set of categories.

Aside from that I am now wondering what happened to them? Are they temporarily unavailable due to building up from scratch? Or are they left out on purpose. Because, let's face it, the activity in these clubs has faded over time, and rather quickly, to the point that a club seemed completely inactive at all. It would make sense, from one point of view, to simply leave them out of the new layout if they're not active.

As I said, just wondering.

Yep exactly what you said. We simply had to many thing on to many places. Now we will try to change that and have learning resources at one or two places. Our goal is to promote you guys more. We will be able now to do that much much more than before.