Sign in to follow this  
EAlexander

Helix Trees

Hi everyone,

I have a project where I need to make some stylized trees and at first I thought it would be really simple with a sweep nurb and a helix, but I can't seem to get the right look and feel.  See the attached images.  I need to make three unique trees in the style of Tree_02 (just the trunk and branches - no "leaves" but with the trunk acting like the TREE_01 image - variation on a helix.   I need the top branches to branch out in different directions.  The trees will eventually attach to other pieces of scenery that are 12x12 foot boxes in the air, so I need to be able to have each branch a separate spline that I can manipulate.  Eventually, this will turn into a job with a lot more trees, so I'm in R&D mode trying to fine the quickest, easiest way to do this.

My experiments with the helix have worked okay, but then I have a really vertical trunk and I need to it slope and meander more like the Tree02 research.  I'm thinking lots of helix sweeps and then a spline wrap to get the overall shape, but I am open to other thoughts and approaches.  I imagine this is a great project for x-particles, but I don't have it and the turnaround it too quick for me to get up to speed on this.  Also - these trees will change a few times before we get to final.

Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Tree_01.jpg

Tree_02.jpg

OK, this is a really long shot, but I am strangely sure it will work for your application if you have a version of R19 or older. Years and years ago (for version 10 - yes THAT old) Chris Schmidt built a plugin-type scene called C4DTree which has a lot of functionality you would find useful for this, despite it only working up to R19.

It's up on Cineversity, with his hugely helpful tutorials about it, if you have that ?

Let me know if not - I have other ideas as well...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks - I looked this over but I think it's too realistic tree like.  I'm really going for a sculpture of PVC piping with constant radius the whole length.  I know I can make this one strand at a time, I guess I was hoping there would be a easier way to mass produce a twist of varying diameter pipes, and then split them off towards the top.  I appreciate the thought though - that old CS stuff is great and I used it a lot in the old days.

Fair enough :)

I think you could get the multiple twisty branch thing nailed fairly quickly by combining several different thickness n-sides in this sort of pattern and then you can use Sweep Rotation to twist them all up - that could get you as far as the splits. From then on it would have to be a bit manual though, but it's fairly easy to split an 8-sided tube into 2, so maybe it's not too much work ? Not seeing any automatic way for that that doesn't involve the volume builder at the mo...

Multisweep.thumb.jpg.c2d66c842b556076092d85f6d459d82b.jpg

Or maybe we could the Tracer involved somehow - by tracing an array or  radial cloner of objects that move and rotate over time you could get twisty branches that vary from the centrepoint to look like roots and canopy parts, but might then have to split those off into separate sweeps so you can work on the splits.

I'll let this ruminate for a while, and see if anything else occurs, but I'd hope it might...

CBR

CBRs tracer option would seem to have endless options, any possibilities for a mospline solution ?

Deck

• Topic Author
  • I've had good luck with tracers and sweep before - i"ll give it a try.

Never used MoSplines.  Time to do some reading. 

Thanks - and thanks Jay for putting some brain space towards this!

e.

• Topic Author
  • So - let me ask a different question - I got this far (see attachment) which is a good base.

Now, what I want to do is blow this Sweep.1 object into individual sweeps/splines, so I can manipulate the tops and bottoms of each individual strand.  Is there a way to separate all of this but keep it parametric splines?  Does this make sense?

I know I could just set it up from the get go with 15 different sweeps, but I'm trying to be more efficient.

Thanks!

Tree_progress_01.png