Sign in to follow this  
hvanderwegen

Blender 2.8 officially released!

I am also looking in to blender i love some stuff but i miss procedural modeling  clones and mograph in general. Yes you can do som of the stuff in animation nodes but its far more complicated than just draging object in to cloner   and just plaing with effectors and  fields.

Forgive the "which package should I marry" beginner neuroticism (as I've asked a few other people on this forum already) but coming from Modo+Rhino, I'm at a juncture where I'm trying to decide if I should go steady with either C4D or Blender.

It's very easy to say, "Do both!" But I'm a generalist in the fullest sense of the word (at my job I also do a lot of copywriting and marketing strategy work), and don't have time to go deep with everything at once. I'd like to focus on one package, and admittedly feel kind of dumb for buying C4D recently when it looks like Blender might be best for my generalist needs/interests.

Rhino covers all my precision CAD modeling needs, but when it comes to either C4D or Blender, I want a package that allows me to do stylized 3D animations and/or 2.5D animations. C4D's powerful toon-shading stuff (and sweet examples seen in the NYT and elsewhere) really got me excited. But as superficial as it sounds, I love the Blender UI and it's Grease Pencil functionality is super cool. Modo was great as an accessible generalist visualization package, but I simply cannot see it keeping pace in the future (what the heck is the future of Modo? No one knows!) So I have to relegate Modo to "legacy tools" so to speak.

I guess my questions are:

• Will C4D "always" (more or less) be relevant and good for generalists like myself if I were to stick with it, or will Blender invariably become a superior tool?
  • Or should I just go with Blender, since my main need is for simple animation projects that involve stylized (toon) rendering, and potentially 2.5D animation (2D hand-drawn animation in 3D environments)?

Blender 2.80 looks awesome (watching tutorials now)... it's hard for me to say though, what is the better choice.

Thanks for your thoughts! If these questions should be in a different thread, let me know and I will delete/repost elsewhere.

• Topic Author
  • I guess it depends on your needs. If you are at all interested in a package that seamlessly integrates 2d animation tools in a 3d environment, then Blender is the only option out there. Nothing else can compare to Grease Pencil.

Cycles and Eevee are hard to beat as far as GPU rendering goes, and the new viewport in 2.8 allows for some pretty neat real-time animation stuff.

And Blender does toon rendering as well with Freestyle. Rendering a 2.5 toon render with Eevee is now possible, reducing rendering times drastically.

Here is a toon render from Blender:

I3jOD7W.jpg

Now imagine combining this with hand-drawn grease pencil drawings and animations. Something which is impossible in any other 3d package.

Plus if you are doing animations, the built-in compositor in Blender will come in handy.

That said, C4D's sketch and toon is very good. It depends on your needs as far as 2d/2.5d animation goes. Blender's Freestyle does strokes, but no toon shading, for which you would need to assign the toon shader and play around with it.

I do know for certain Blender's 2d animation features will only grow and grow from this point forward. I can't see similar functionality being integrated into C4D any time soon - it's not what its core audience wants or needs.

PS these guys created a nice Eevee real-time toon shader, which combines well with Freestyle strokes. Example files are available on their page.

http://www.pantherdynamics.yolasite.com/toon-shader.php

@hvanderwegen Thanks so much for the information here -- I think I'm going to dive into Blender 2.80's Grease Pencil functionality for my next project, using it as an opportunity to get my feet wet with Blender in general. I'll keep my C4D license, just incase, but sadly I have barely broken the ice with it (and we'll see if I ever do).

A friend in LA who is established in the VFX/animation-house scene barely even knew what Blender was, and claimed "You gotta learn C4D if you want to do any kind of industry motion-graphics". I don't disagree, but frankly: that's not a career path I aspire for -- I am a generalist (who does 2D animation too) and to that end, it seems like Blender is a better time-investment for me.

Again, thanks for providing some resolution to my questions -- I can always lean on Rhino for my CAD needs, and frankly good ol'Modo for my viz-dev needs at least until I get good enough with Blender to retire Modo.

• Topic Author
  • The beauty of grease pencil drawings: they can not only be used for frame-by-frame drawing, but also rigged with bones and make use of Blender's rigging and animation for easy cut-out animation.

And both C4d and Blender are great apps. Keep your license of C4D.

I still use my very old C4D version for the odd thing. MoGraph comes to mind, for example.

@hvanderwegen Absolutely keep it all -- and again, I really appreciate your knowledge+advice here. I'm sure down the road I will work on a team that requires me to jump into C4D (at which point, I'll have to follow their lead since I'm a newb in it) but I'm definitely gonna keep it. Same with Modo and Rhino -- the time I've spent in them has been very valuable.

But moving forward, Blender seems really suited for my ilk -- since I do 2D animation/illustration and 3D work as well. Woo!

On 7/31/2019 at 4:17 AM, MauricioPC said:

The only issue with Blender is the commercial plugins. Like Octane ... if you want to use it, you need to use the Otoy Blender fork. If Chaos Group starts investing in VRay for Blender again and want to have it really fast, they'll need to do their own fork and so on.

You may end up with 3/4 blender forks to be able to use some commercial plugins. Kind of tricky.

Are the forks entirely different .exe/versions of the code? Or is it where modules get swapped out? I'm not familiar with "forks" relative to Blender.

Edit: ah...I see it's a completely different executable based on open source core. Yikes. So third party renders must seriously go the extra mile.

Is not a fork, it's RC3, release candidate 3, a stable beta version before 2.8 was officially released. Usually a fork exists to help developers test new features, like a beta beta (sculpting fork from Pablo dobarro, everything nodes fork from Jacques luque), once they are finished and stable most likely they are merged with 2.8 and Blender becomes 2.81

You don't need to use a fork, ever. There are of course forks specialized in different areas - as it is open source people expand the parts they want to work, like bforartists (an enhanced UI version, but 2.8 feels better in my opinion)

As I don't use octane , because blender already have eevee and cycles gpu/cpu, I don't know if octane works in 2.8 final.

• Topic Author
  • Now that 2.8 is released, work has begun on integrating new features from various developers for 2.81. Blender should get regular releases every three months, or so, from this point forward.

Voxel Remesher!

• Topic Author
  • Intel's Open Image Denoise is part of the latest 2.81 alpha build.

1842b81d6f78d17731da4b5612b0d923098fdc5a

• Topic Author
  • Finally the outliner is receiving some much needed love. I love C4D's outliner, and really never touched Blender's outliner much, instead relying on other methods.

The latest builds merge Nate Craddocks Google Summer of Code 2019 outliner improvements:

- synched selection (FINALLY!) and drag selection rectangle without the need to hit the box selection key:

12e43aea79e3d2ff705ed8a83325ccac3281c1e7

- drag over triangles to twirl down and up multiple 'folders' instead of being forced to open them one by one:

75b859b111090bf1969d7d3b0171f62e1945528d

- industry-standard shift-selecting with arrow keys to multi-select lists of objects and drag and drop of multiple objects is now supported :

fd2c344ce16863e44cf592d175b64addc05fb616

- other helpful changes, such as the option to use the keyboard's cursor keys to navigate the outliner (up and down, and left and right to enter and collapse the scene hierarchy).

Really happy to see these changes. I always miss C4D's outliner when working in Blender! I've been testing the latest builds, and the outliner is finally proving to be a real help in organizing and selecting scene elements instead of being a hindrance.

Additional outliner improvements are in the pipeline. See https://developer.blender.org/T68338

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? Since we discovered the monthly cost was actually much more than the advertised monthly cost, people are in the studio are saying helpful things like 'What about Blender?' and I dont know what to tell them as I havent looked at it in depth for years.