Sign in to follow this  
hvanderwegen

Blender 2.8 officially released!

• Topic Author
  • Now that 2.8 is released, work has begun on integrating new features from various developers for 2.81. Blender should get regular releases every three months, or so, from this point forward.

Voxel Remesher!

• Topic Author
  • Intel's Open Image Denoise is part of the latest 2.81 alpha build.

1842b81d6f78d17731da4b5612b0d923098fdc5a

• Topic Author
  • Finally the outliner is receiving some much needed love. I love C4D's outliner, and really never touched Blender's outliner much, instead relying on other methods.

The latest builds merge Nate Craddocks Google Summer of Code 2019 outliner improvements:

- synched selection (FINALLY!) and drag selection rectangle without the need to hit the box selection key:

12e43aea79e3d2ff705ed8a83325ccac3281c1e7

- drag over triangles to twirl down and up multiple 'folders' instead of being forced to open them one by one:

75b859b111090bf1969d7d3b0171f62e1945528d

- industry-standard shift-selecting with arrow keys to multi-select lists of objects and drag and drop of multiple objects is now supported :

fd2c344ce16863e44cf592d175b64addc05fb616

- other helpful changes, such as the option to use the keyboard's cursor keys to navigate the outliner (up and down, and left and right to enter and collapse the scene hierarchy).

Really happy to see these changes. I always miss C4D's outliner when working in Blender! I've been testing the latest builds, and the outliner is finally proving to be a real help in organizing and selecting scene elements instead of being a hindrance.

Additional outliner improvements are in the pipeline. See https://developer.blender.org/T68338

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? Since we discovered the monthly cost was actually much more than the advertised monthly cost, people are in the studio are saying helpful things like 'What about Blender?' and I dont know what to tell them as I havent looked at it in depth for years.

2 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? 

Not many to be honest. I would say Cinema 4D is ahead in terms of UI, UI customization, Mograph tools, Object Manager (it seems a small thing, but C4D has the best OM of all 3D apps), Artist friendliness (yeah, that's a thing)  and that's about it.

Meanwhile Blender 2.8 is on par with Maya. Cinema4D, not so much. 

As I said in the other thread,  Cinema4D NEEDS plugins to do stuff that Blender does out of the box. Particles? You need X-Particles. Fire? TurbulanceFD. Fluids? Realflow. Proper UVs? Seamilar II or an external app (3D Coat, etc...). GPU Render? Octane or Redshift.

Blender has all of these out of the box.

Cinema4D is by far my favorite 3D app, but I'm frankly having a hard time explaining to other users (and new students) why they should learn or keep using C4D. with the current prices.

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts, a C4D subscription should be around $250 (like Maya indie) and a perpetual license around $1.000.

But Adobe-guy made MAXON greedy and now I fear for their future. 😞 

4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? Since we discovered the monthly cost was actually much more than the advertised monthly cost, people are in the studio are saying helpful things like 'What about Blender?' and I dont know what to tell them as I havent looked at it in depth for years.

C4D has mograph, lots of plugins like Cactus Dan's free tools, xparticles, Cycles4D.

The bigger question is where is Blender better than C4D.  The answer is it's free, rendering with Cycles or Eevee, Sculpting, Retoplology with free retopoflow plugin, Grease Pencil, probably character animation but I have not tried the changes in R21, post image workflow.  They are looking to add a node based particle system in the near future that could make it as good as mograph.  At that point the biggest thing C4D has going for it will be gone.

10 hours ago, hikarubr said:

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts

Ugh, it does seem terrible timing that MAXON doubled down on the '3D for the World' line just as Blender released 2.8. R21 in comparison seems like very thin gruel. God knows we have 60 pages of moaning on the other thread and I don't want to start all that up again but now more than ever, MAXON have their work cut out for them. Everyone will be looking at R22, and I hope they have a hell of a roadmap. 

I mean I really hope they do! I love C4D and don't want to go anywhere else, but it's getting harder to justify. Anyway, onwards and upwards - I have some volumes and fields to manipulate...

Yeah. It’s unfortunate MAXON didn’t have more impressive features to show. As others have said, it would have really helped. I know they are probably working on some good things and I’ll always appreciate the number 1 priority of Cinema 4-d being stability. That is what definitely cannot change.  I just hope they really do have some good things in the works. Including xpresso and massively improved viewport object handling.  My confidence in this stuff happening is not as high as it used to be. 

• Topic Author
  • I would also add here that the rate of development of new features and (free and commercial) addons is a big plus. Blender's development is seeing an incredible momentum forward from a huge community, and this is clearly visible in all areas.

For example, Bone-Studio just released their own build with patches that will be included in the official version later, but can be used right now:

- light group passes (!)

- OpenVDB remesher non-destructive modifier including OpenVDB boolean operations

- Metaball to mesh both meshes/vertices and particles which carry motion blur information.

https://blender.community/c/graphicall/kdbbbc/

And around the corner is E-Cycles in the official releases, which will speed up Cycles rendering by a factor of 2 or more. The long-wanted bevel profile feature is about to be integrated for both the destructive bevel and non-destructive bevel modifier...

But these are only the tip of the iceberg.

The particle system is about to be modernized and replaced with a new far more powerful one - which will be integrated with the Everything Nodes project and physics so everything talks to everything else in Blender - Houdini style. Hair is also being updated to follow suit.

The list goes on, and on, and on... It's quite overwhelming, actually, and difficult to keep track of all developments at the moment. Blender has traction, and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Been using Blender for almost a year and Cinema for 7 Years, and Blender is becoming a really impressive app, it's also a reallity that blender does not have a mograph module, but they are working on it and i most say that i like Cycles more than Cinema's Render Engine. On the other hand, there are some things in which Cinema excels . I've been using both and it's great, but if Blender grows more, probably will be my main option.

If you wanna start Blender and you have any doubts, i'll be very happy to help, because i know how difficult is to start a different application (Blender) when you have your mind around another one (Cinema).