hvanderwegen

Blender 2.8 officially released!

2 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? 

Not many to be honest. I would say Cinema 4D is ahead in terms of UI, UI customization, Mograph tools, Object Manager (it seems a small thing, but C4D has the best OM of all 3D apps), Artist friendliness (yeah, that's a thing)  and that's about it.

Meanwhile Blender 2.8 is on par with Maya. Cinema4D, not so much. 

As I said in the other thread,  Cinema4D NEEDS plugins to do stuff that Blender does out of the box. Particles? You need X-Particles. Fire? TurbulanceFD. Fluids? Realflow. Proper UVs? Seamilar II or an external app (3D Coat, etc...). GPU Render? Octane or Redshift.

Blender has all of these out of the box.

Cinema4D is by far my favorite 3D app, but I'm frankly having a hard time explaining to other users (and new students) why they should learn or keep using C4D. with the current prices.

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts, a C4D subscription should be around $250 (like Maya indie) and a perpetual license around $1.000.

But Adobe-guy made MAXON greedy and now I fear for their future. 😞 

4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? Since we discovered the monthly cost was actually much more than the advertised monthly cost, people are in the studio are saying helpful things like 'What about Blender?' and I dont know what to tell them as I havent looked at it in depth for years.

C4D has mograph, lots of plugins like Cactus Dan's free tools, xparticles, Cycles4D.

The bigger question is where is Blender better than C4D.  The answer is it's free, rendering with Cycles or Eevee, Sculpting, Retoplology with free retopoflow plugin, Grease Pencil, probably character animation but I have not tried the changes in R21, post image workflow.  They are looking to add a node based particle system in the near future that could make it as good as mograph.  At that point the biggest thing C4D has going for it will be gone.

10 hours ago, hikarubr said:

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts

Ugh, it does seem terrible timing that MAXON doubled down on the '3D for the World' line just as Blender released 2.8. R21 in comparison seems like very thin gruel. God knows we have 60 pages of moaning on the other thread and I don't want to start all that up again but now more than ever, MAXON have their work cut out for them. Everyone will be looking at R22, and I hope they have a hell of a roadmap. 

I mean I really hope they do! I love C4D and don't want to go anywhere else, but it's getting harder to justify. Anyway, onwards and upwards - I have some volumes and fields to manipulate...

Yeah. It’s unfortunate MAXON didn’t have more impressive features to show. As others have said, it would have really helped. I know they are probably working on some good things and I’ll always appreciate the number 1 priority of Cinema 4-d being stability. That is what definitely cannot change.  I just hope they really do have some good things in the works. Including xpresso and massively improved viewport object handling.  My confidence in this stuff happening is not as high as it used to be.