Sign in to follow this  
hvanderwegen

Blender 2.8 officially released!

2 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? 

Not many to be honest. I would say Cinema 4D is ahead in terms of UI, UI customization, Mograph tools, Object Manager (it seems a small thing, but C4D has the best OM of all 3D apps), Artist friendliness (yeah, that's a thing)  and that's about it.

Meanwhile Blender 2.8 is on par with Maya. Cinema4D, not so much. 

As I said in the other thread,  Cinema4D NEEDS plugins to do stuff that Blender does out of the box. Particles? You need X-Particles. Fire? TurbulanceFD. Fluids? Realflow. Proper UVs? Seamilar II or an external app (3D Coat, etc...). GPU Render? Octane or Redshift.

Blender has all of these out of the box.

Cinema4D is by far my favorite 3D app, but I'm frankly having a hard time explaining to other users (and new students) why they should learn or keep using C4D. with the current prices.

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts, a C4D subscription should be around $250 (like Maya indie) and a perpetual license around $1.000.

But Adobe-guy made MAXON greedy and now I fear for their future. 😞 

4 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

Can anyone lay out for me the areas C4D is in front of Blender 2.8? Since we discovered the monthly cost was actually much more than the advertised monthly cost, people are in the studio are saying helpful things like 'What about Blender?' and I dont know what to tell them as I havent looked at it in depth for years.

C4D has mograph, lots of plugins like Cactus Dan's free tools, xparticles, Cycles4D.

The bigger question is where is Blender better than C4D.  The answer is it's free, rendering with Cycles or Eevee, Sculpting, Retoplology with free retopoflow plugin, Grease Pencil, probably character animation but I have not tried the changes in R21, post image workflow.  They are looking to add a node based particle system in the near future that could make it as good as mograph.  At that point the biggest thing C4D has going for it will be gone.

10 hours ago, hikarubr said:

With the current feature set lacking in so many fronts

Ugh, it does seem terrible timing that MAXON doubled down on the '3D for the World' line just as Blender released 2.8. R21 in comparison seems like very thin gruel. God knows we have 60 pages of moaning on the other thread and I don't want to start all that up again but now more than ever, MAXON have their work cut out for them. Everyone will be looking at R22, and I hope they have a hell of a roadmap. 

I mean I really hope they do! I love C4D and don't want to go anywhere else, but it's getting harder to justify. Anyway, onwards and upwards - I have some volumes and fields to manipulate...

Yeah. It’s unfortunate MAXON didn’t have more impressive features to show. As others have said, it would have really helped. I know they are probably working on some good things and I’ll always appreciate the number 1 priority of Cinema 4-d being stability. That is what definitely cannot change.  I just hope they really do have some good things in the works. Including xpresso and massively improved viewport object handling.  My confidence in this stuff happening is not as high as it used to be. 

• Topic Author
  • I would also add here that the rate of development of new features and (free and commercial) addons is a big plus. Blender's development is seeing an incredible momentum forward from a huge community, and this is clearly visible in all areas.

For example, Bone-Studio just released their own build with patches that will be included in the official version later, but can be used right now:

- light group passes (!)

- OpenVDB remesher non-destructive modifier including OpenVDB boolean operations

- Metaball to mesh both meshes/vertices and particles which carry motion blur information.

https://blender.community/c/graphicall/kdbbbc/

And around the corner is E-Cycles in the official releases, which will speed up Cycles rendering by a factor of 2 or more. The long-wanted bevel profile feature is about to be integrated for both the destructive bevel and non-destructive bevel modifier...

But these are only the tip of the iceberg.

The particle system is about to be modernized and replaced with a new far more powerful one - which will be integrated with the Everything Nodes project and physics so everything talks to everything else in Blender - Houdini style. Hair is also being updated to follow suit.

The list goes on, and on, and on... It's quite overwhelming, actually, and difficult to keep track of all developments at the moment. Blender has traction, and it doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Been using Blender for almost a year and Cinema for 7 Years, and Blender is becoming a really impressive app, it's also a reallity that blender does not have a mograph module, but they are working on it and i most say that i like Cycles more than Cinema's Render Engine. On the other hand, there are some things in which Cinema excels . I've been using both and it's great, but if Blender grows more, probably will be my main option.

If you wanna start Blender and you have any doubts, i'll be very happy to help, because i know how difficult is to start a different application (Blender) when you have your mind around another one (Cinema).

On 8/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, hvanderwegen said:

The particle system is about to be modernized and replaced with a new far more powerful one - which will be integrated with the Everything Nodes project and physics so everything talks to everything else in Blender - Houdini style. Hair is also being updated to follow suit.

Where can you learn more about this?  One of the biggest advantages to C4D is X-Particles.  The latest release is just outstanding in  that it does exactly what you are alluding to here: integrates everything with everything (particles, object breaking, object physics, spline dynamics, fluids, etc).  I would say that should MAXON  ever improve C4D's ability to handle massive object counts,  then X-Particles will be giving Houdini a run for their money as a much friendlier option for doing some pretty cool VFX work (Houdini will still have the lead on absolutely outstanding jaw dropping VFX work, but it won't be as much fun to create).

For me, X-Particles will be one of the toughest things to walk away from should the future force me to into MAXON's subscription policy.

Dave

Blender is very tempting but there are  just a couple of things that I really can't jive with in blender. First are the text tools, certainly not as nice as c4d. Second are the curve creation tools, I just can't understand the way to draw and alter curves in blender. And some simple UI things like not being able to hit the 'delete' key to delete objects in the viewport and the outliner. In blender you need to hit 'x' in the viewport and in the outline you have to right click on an object and choose delete. Perhaps you can change the keymap somewhere for deleting objects. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use the array modifier properly like in this video, I think I'm just spoiled by how intuitive c4d is.

3 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I would say that should MAXON  ever improve C4D's ability to handle massive object counts,  then X-Particles will be giving Houdini a run for their money as a much friendlier option for doing some pretty cool VFX work (Houdini will still have the lead on absolutely outstanding jaw dropping VFX work, but it won't be as much fun to create).

It's coming Dave, you're just going to have to wait. All part of the rewritten core / object management that we've yet to see everything of and only seen bits of it. My guess is when they finally get around to rolling out the new UV toolset is when the rewritten core will be fully unleashed. I think at the same time we'll see an upgraded XPresso with more nodes and a lot faster i.e. multi-threaded.

Fun times ahead with Blender on a roll. MAXON, The Foundry and others will need to lift their game over the next couple of years and give users a reason to part with their money rather than changing over to Blender. 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, briankoko said:

Second are the curve creation tools, I just can't understand the way to draw and alter curves in blender. 

You'll be happy to know that a brilliant little addon was just released, which implements a "standard" bezier drawing tool in Blender. I very much like it, because it simplifies curve creation.

https://blender-addons.org/flexi-bezier-tool/

1 hour ago, briankoko said:

And some simple UI things like not being able to hit the 'delete' key to delete objects in the viewport and the outliner. In blender you need to hit 'x' in the viewport and in the outline you have to right click on an object and choose delete.

That's strange: I can delete stuff in the viewport by hitting the delete key on my keyboard. No need for the X key.

Perhaps you work on a Mac with a keyboard without a numeric key block which lacks the delete key located above the cursor keys? In that case I would change the Delete actions to use the backspace key instead. A minor inconvenience, and I would just invest in a proper extended keyboard (since the numeric keypad is truly helpful when navigating the viewport and certain other operations such as isolating objects or focusing the viewport on the selected object(s)).

It is true the delete key doesn't work that way in the outliner (although for collections it does, so hopefully they will remedy this inconsistent behaviour soon). It is however possible to select objects in the outliner, and then move the mouse into the viewport area, and use the delete key - a bit faster and less mouse movements compared to the right-mouse clicking method.

1 hour ago, briankoko said:

the text tools, certainly not as nice as c4d.

Yup, Cinema4D sports the nicest text tool of all 3d apps, I agree. (Small) improvements are on the way, though.

Combined with splines (for the bevel) quite nice results are achievable with the text tool in Blender. And Blender's text tool includes some features not seen in other software. But it is in need of some improvements, just as Maya and Max got.

My main issue is the underlying generated geometry, which is difficult to work (deform) with. I find this addon quite useful to remedy this for the most part:

https://blender-addons.org/boundary-aligned-remesh/

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Where can you learn more about this? 

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Nodes/ParticleSystemNodes

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Nodes

It will take a while until all parts are implemented. How long exactly? No-one knows for certain. The developer behind the original animation nodes addon is now working for the Blender Foundation, so it is coming, and will be implemented part by part in the upcoming year.

Also, test builds for animation nodes are already available for Blender 2.8. Particles are supported as well. So it is possible to get cracking with it now. It's a lot of fun.

https://prenninger.com/3d/

22 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

You'll be happy to know that a brilliant little addon was just released, which implements a "standard" bezier drawing tool in Blender. I very much like it, because it simplifies

Thanks hvanderwegen for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.