Sign in to follow this  
hvanderwegen

Blender 2.8 officially released!

On 8/23/2019 at 1:09 PM, hvanderwegen said:

The particle system is about to be modernized and replaced with a new far more powerful one - which will be integrated with the Everything Nodes project and physics so everything talks to everything else in Blender - Houdini style. Hair is also being updated to follow suit.

Where can you learn more about this?  One of the biggest advantages to C4D is X-Particles.  The latest release is just outstanding in  that it does exactly what you are alluding to here: integrates everything with everything (particles, object breaking, object physics, spline dynamics, fluids, etc).  I would say that should MAXON  ever improve C4D's ability to handle massive object counts,  then X-Particles will be giving Houdini a run for their money as a much friendlier option for doing some pretty cool VFX work (Houdini will still have the lead on absolutely outstanding jaw dropping VFX work, but it won't be as much fun to create).

For me, X-Particles will be one of the toughest things to walk away from should the future force me to into MAXON's subscription policy.

Dave

Blender is very tempting but there are  just a couple of things that I really can't jive with in blender. First are the text tools, certainly not as nice as c4d. Second are the curve creation tools, I just can't understand the way to draw and alter curves in blender. And some simple UI things like not being able to hit the 'delete' key to delete objects in the viewport and the outliner. In blender you need to hit 'x' in the viewport and in the outline you have to right click on an object and choose delete. Perhaps you can change the keymap somewhere for deleting objects. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use the array modifier properly like in this video, I think I'm just spoiled by how intuitive c4d is.

3 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

I would say that should MAXON  ever improve C4D's ability to handle massive object counts,  then X-Particles will be giving Houdini a run for their money as a much friendlier option for doing some pretty cool VFX work (Houdini will still have the lead on absolutely outstanding jaw dropping VFX work, but it won't be as much fun to create).

It's coming Dave, you're just going to have to wait. All part of the rewritten core / object management that we've yet to see everything of and only seen bits of it. My guess is when they finally get around to rolling out the new UV toolset is when the rewritten core will be fully unleashed. I think at the same time we'll see an upgraded XPresso with more nodes and a lot faster i.e. multi-threaded.

Fun times ahead with Blender on a roll. MAXON, The Foundry and others will need to lift their game over the next couple of years and give users a reason to part with their money rather than changing over to Blender. 

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, briankoko said:

Second are the curve creation tools, I just can't understand the way to draw and alter curves in blender. 

You'll be happy to know that a brilliant little addon was just released, which implements a "standard" bezier drawing tool in Blender. I very much like it, because it simplifies curve creation.

https://blender-addons.org/flexi-bezier-tool/

1 hour ago, briankoko said:

And some simple UI things like not being able to hit the 'delete' key to delete objects in the viewport and the outliner. In blender you need to hit 'x' in the viewport and in the outline you have to right click on an object and choose delete.

That's strange: I can delete stuff in the viewport by hitting the delete key on my keyboard. No need for the X key.

Perhaps you work on a Mac with a keyboard without a numeric key block which lacks the delete key located above the cursor keys? In that case I would change the Delete actions to use the backspace key instead. A minor inconvenience, and I would just invest in a proper extended keyboard (since the numeric keypad is truly helpful when navigating the viewport and certain other operations such as isolating objects or focusing the viewport on the selected object(s)).

It is true the delete key doesn't work that way in the outliner (although for collections it does, so hopefully they will remedy this inconsistent behaviour soon). It is however possible to select objects in the outliner, and then move the mouse into the viewport area, and use the delete key - a bit faster and less mouse movements compared to the right-mouse clicking method.

1 hour ago, briankoko said:

the text tools, certainly not as nice as c4d.

Yup, Cinema4D sports the nicest text tool of all 3d apps, I agree. (Small) improvements are on the way, though.

Combined with splines (for the bevel) quite nice results are achievable with the text tool in Blender. And Blender's text tool includes some features not seen in other software. But it is in need of some improvements, just as Maya and Max got.

My main issue is the underlying generated geometry, which is difficult to work (deform) with. I find this addon quite useful to remedy this for the most part:

https://blender-addons.org/boundary-aligned-remesh/

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Where can you learn more about this? 

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Nodes/ParticleSystemNodes

https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Source/Nodes

It will take a while until all parts are implemented. How long exactly? No-one knows for certain. The developer behind the original animation nodes addon is now working for the Blender Foundation, so it is coming, and will be implemented part by part in the upcoming year.

Also, test builds for animation nodes are already available for Blender 2.8. Particles are supported as well. So it is possible to get cracking with it now. It's a lot of fun.

https://prenninger.com/3d/

22 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

You'll be happy to know that a brilliant little addon was just released, which implements a "standard" bezier drawing tool in Blender. I very much like it, because it simplifies

Thanks hvanderwegen for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it. 

23 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

That's strange: I can delete stuff in the viewport by hitting the delete key on my keyboard

There is a little caveat that can throw folks off. If you have your cursor inside the outliner you cannot delete an object as expected. Could be fixed in 2.81 For now just be sure your cursor isn't inside outliner.

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Icecaveman said:

There is a little caveat that can throw folks off. If you have your cursor inside the outliner you cannot delete an object as expected. Could be fixed in 2.81 For now just be sure your cursor isn't inside outliner.

As I explained :-)

The only exception seems to be a collection: those can be deleted directly in the outliner with the delete key.

On Fanatical is currently quite nice deal with books bundle about Blender. (15books for 10euro)

C4D users can find some usable informations, especially 2 books about creating textures and node materials in Cycles...

https://www.fanatical.com/en/ebooks

Also there is a deal with Unity and Unreal Games developement what can be also useful for c4d users...