Sign in to follow this  
adamjm

using an object to light a scene

Hi guys, I want to light underneath the bar on this model. I've got a strip at present with glow selected, but nothing seems to illuminate when I render this?

Am i using the correct tool or should i just put some spot lights underneath?.. I would like a strip effect ideally like you get under most bar visuals

any advice would be great 

thanks 

test_v2.c4d

set up a couple of area lights at same size and shape as your bar light. Glow is a post effect and has no effect on lighting. You could also use a luminant material but that would involve GI so best left alone.

Area lights should be perfect for this, you may have to up the sample count.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • thanks, Deck, will give that a try

• Topic Author
  • Hi Deck, i tried area lights and they don't seem to give me the strip of illumination i want? Is there any way i can control were the light comes from exactly? I've placed 4 area lights underneath the bar, but when rendered, the lights appear as spot lights.

You really need to put the samples up to a 1000 or so if its a big light, heres a version with one light seen in render and one not, the second one has different sample amount and also moved a bit and different shape which helps to soften in any areas where the spot look still appears. 

You can have them both not seen and give your geometry a ruminant material to fake it, with the areas providing the actual light.

Ive done this version in blue with no other lights so you can see whats going on.

The main changes come with , light intensity, light falloff and sample count, and obviously size and post of lights will have most effect.

You can choose weather the area light is seen in both reflection and / or render.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.44.52.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.44.18.png

test_v3.c4d

• Topic Author
  • cool great thanks, sounds like it's the samples i need to address 

cheers