• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
JustinLeduc

Character constraint confusion

Hey guys!

Setup

I downloaded a "Digging" animation from Mixamo. Basically, I get a Daz3D Genesis2 character digging animation. Cool.

Upon putting a shovel on the animated character in C4D, I quickly realized that the mocap data is off, meaning there's no way to attach any straight bar and have it remain in his 2 hands as they're continuously misaligned during the animation. I tried parenting the the shovel to everything, i.e. left hand, right hand, forearm, etc. Nothing works.

After some thinking, I thought I'd be clever about this and make Sweep that creates the shovel's body between his 2 hands (see project file). That works.

Problem

That's working great, but now I'm struggling to figure out how to parent the front and back parts of the shovel onto the Sweep-ed middle part of the shovel. The "Front" part has to go at the front of my Sweep, and the "Back" and the back of my Sweep.

I've tried a dozen things with the Character constraint tag, but nothing worked :(

Project file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HcyAuISE6_zwX_uwBIGJpcLJlJHCQGbq/view?usp=sharing

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million for your time!

• Topic Author
  • Somehow I forgot about the existence of the "Align to Spline" tag. I made a Point Cache on my Spline, deleted its Spline Dynamics tag, then added a "Align to Spline" tag on my shovel's parts. Dragged my Spline into the "Spline field".

I made sure the "Align to Spline" tag was set to "Priority : Expression | 0" in its "Basic" tab (it changed, not sure how) and all worked well.

Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • @digitvisions Yes! Absolutely. Was planning on that.

Also, I had no idea that C4D executed dynamics from the top down in the Object manager. Took me forever to find out why there was a slight delay between my spline and the shovel's movements. I just put my shovel object below my Spline.

Thanks!