Sign in to follow this  
M G

Should I use Mospline for this?

• Topic Author
  • Thank you Hrvoje for the reply and file!

I was actually thinking of something like this last night, like changing the spline into a soft body and having it fall over the edge of a plane (which is faking gravity in a way). 

In the file you provided the gravity falls away (animated) but there doesn't seem to be a change in the spline. Also, what is the function of the plain (is it controlling how the gravity effects the spline) or is it supposed to be applying the sin formula (or suppressing it)?

And last question, if I wanted all this to happen in a positive direction, can a negative gravity force be applied so things rise instead of fall? 

My apologies but I'm slowly learning about Mospline. Most tutorials I've come across use it for cloning and animating groups of splines and don't use it for single spline animation. 

Thank you for your help! 

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Deck for diving into this. 

I couldn't get the file to work either (I'm R19) but I do see what's going on with yours. It all looks like a simple animation but from where I sit it's not as simple as I thought it'd be...

• Topic Author
  • Thank you to all who have given great ideas and input to this problem. I think I know what I'm doing now...

Big thanks to Hrvoje for pointing me in the current direction (which he advised me to do since I started this project). I've attached a file that has the basic rig set up, now it just needs some refinement. I did this in R19 for anyone interested. 

To explain a little further, I want to animate my spline throughout the animation (and have it straight at some point) so the nulls are the vertices of my original spline and they will be animated. In my animation the strand will be going up, so I rotated the gravity 180 degrees. All the basic setup is there, just needs some tweaking (I hope!!!) to make it look a little nicer.

My last question is, on the reference animation from 00:40 to 1:05 as the spline detachaes/attaches to the 'rungs' there's a little magnet effect happening at each rung. Any idea on how to add this effect? It's not absolutely needed (I imagine otherwise keyframing a stutter step) but it'd be nice to know how to do it.

Check it out, let me know if you have any questions. And thanks again for all the help, this forum is amazing!!!!

Strand01.c4d