Sign in to follow this  
danielhp

Sheep wool Effect

Hi,

I'm trying to model something out of the ordinary.. "cartoon sheep wool". I attach Several pictures to illustrate.

What technique can you use? The goal is to achieve a beautiful and professional result.

123213.png

Ok I moved it for you, but this may have more to do with modelling than you'd think...
Or we could try with textures, or maybe even with Pyrocluster ! But Sketch'n'toon / cel shading is probably going to be used somewhere if you want your images to look like that reference.

1. Modelling. I'd start by cloning a load of spheres (random effector for scale) onto a sheep-shaped body mesh and see if that gave you a suitable sort of mesh silhouette...

Or you could work in 2D, then use spline mask to combine a load of circle splines into that sort of shape.

2. Then I'd setup my toon style materials, and start seeing what the render looked like, and go from there...

If you are not familiar with Sketch n Toon, which can be quite complex, there are a number of videos on Youtube that will explain the basics... here's one...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok I moved it for you, but this may have more to do with modelling than you'd think...
    Or we could try with textures, or maybe even with Pyrocluster ! But Sketch'n'toon / cel shading is probably going to be used somewhere if you want your images to look like that reference.

1. Modelling. I'd start by cloning a load of spheres onto a sheep-shaped body mesh and see if that gave you a suitable sort of mesh silhouette...

2. Then I'd setup my toon style materials, and start seeing what the render looked like, and go from there...

If you are not familiar with Sketch n Toon, which can be quite complex, there are a number of videos on Youtube that will explain the basics... here's one...

CBR

Thanks, the idea is to export the model to a game engine in the future so I don't think Sketch n Toon will help me. What do you mean " start by cloning a load of spheres "?

Look in your manual for the cloner object, or watch some Youtube tutorials on it.

Although now you have mentioned a game engine that may not be a valid way to go any more...

CBR

Here's a thought:

Dog.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 13 hours ago, digitvisions said:

You could look at the mesh constrictions here: https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/cartoon+sheep/c4d

Hi dov thanks for your answer, but I want to know how I can do it and what the most right technique to create it. not buy it

Besides, I didn't see there anything "professional"

15 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Look in your manual for the cloner object, or watch some Youtube tutorials on it.

Although now you have mentioned a game engine that may not be a valid way to go any more...

CBR

your answer is not useful, I Your answer is very general and very reminiscent like "Go to Google"

And yes before I asked the question here, I tried to search the internet right away but did not find anything that suited me

I tried using a CLONER of sphere an object, I lowered the resolution of the sphere to polycount to simulate different texture, but it didn't look quite as professional..

Attaching image.

Screenshot_20190806-113315_WhatsApp.jpg

41 minutes ago, danielhp said:

your answer is not useful, I Your answer is very general and very reminiscent like "Go to Google"

Yes it is, isn't it ? :) I'm afraid I haven't got time to explain the basics of the cloner when the manual and 500 tutorials online have already done it. I thought your question here suggested you hadn't seen any of those, and knowing that everyone here will assume you have at least some knowledge of how to use the tool, I advised you where to look in the first instance if you didn't. That remains excellent advice if that is the case !

but I want to know how I can do it and what the most right technique to create it. not buy it

He is showing you those models so that you can see the topology of them, and by extension, get some insight into how they were created, rather than so that you can buy one !

I tried using a CLONER of sphere an object, I lowered the resolution of the sphere to polycount to simulate different texture, but it didn't look quite as professional..

As professional as what ? Your reference pics are all 2D digital illustrations, so you haven't shown us any representation of what you are trying to achieve in a 3D game engine context. I imagine that's why @digitvisions showed you the TS models so we could try and get a handle on what sort of model you are expecting, or might qualify in your mind as 'professional'.

We're also dealing with the fact that 'beautiful, professional results', and 'model for a game engine' are often diametrically opposing criteria, so some information about where on the line between them you are aiming for would be helpful.

There are absolutely loads of approaches to making this - some are suitable for beginners, such as the cloner method I suggested, whereas others would require you to have several years of modelling or other general Cinema experience, but you don't mention what your level of experience is, how well you know the toolset etc. You could also use 2D sprites within a 3D game engine, so we can't even be sure you need a 3D model at all !! So it's actually quite difficult to know what to recommend to you given the lack of precise detail. It was a very general, wide question, so it's gonna get pretty general answers until we can narrow down what it is you actually want...

CBR