• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
JustinLeduc

Character alembic for Marvelous Designer

Hey guys,

After much struggling, I've managed to modify an existing Mixamo animation (can't wait for R21, this was a pain). My end result is full of little flaws, but said flaws will be mostly hidden by the character's baggy clothes.

I now have an Alembic file of my end result.

At frame 80, this is what it looks like in Cinema4D :

YPvU16k.png

When I open my Alembic, this is what it looks like in Cinema4D :

3xvDwhK.png

Great! All seems well. I've made sure that every bone was properly baked. The whole animation plays as expected.

Problem

When I open my Alembic in Marvelous Designer, it looks like this :

Zqdl35n.png

Question

What can I do here to make sure that my Alembic can be properly opened in Marvelous Designer? Do you guys have any clue?

I've exported my Alembic in so many ways with so many different settings. Always the same problem.

After lots of testing around, I've realized that Marvelous Designer is doing the equivalent of me pressing "C" (make editable) on the Nulls of my Alembic in Cinema4D. Does this info help?

While my post feels like a Marvelous Designer related problem, I thought it was more about something I'm not doing right in Cinema4D to begin with. I'm guessing something didn't bake correctly.

Any tip/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Project file

[ Edit File link removed ]

Interesting issue, I'll test it on my side and see what I can find. Did you try importing in blender or any other 3d software?

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • 21 minutes ago, Igor said:

Interesting issue, I'll test it on my side and see what I can find. Did you try importing in blender or any other 3d software?

Hey @Igor! Thanks a million for looking into this! Much, much appreciated.

Funnily enough, I had already tested in Blender.

Here's my Alembic file in Blender :

HUJCRHS.png

So all is working well in there as well. Very odd.

Thanks again!

Wait, don't thank me yet, I'll check it tomorrow...when I have my pc in front of me and not a phone. :compEnjoy:

BTW this could be MD issue not C4D or alembic.

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

• Topic Author
  • 21 hours ago, Igor said:

Wait, don't thank me yet, I'll check it tomorrow...when I have my pc in front of me and not a phone. :compEnjoy:

BTW this could be MD issue not C4D or alembic.

Hahah, no worries. I'm just thankful someone is willing to look into it.

While I do assume that it's a MD issue and not a C4D/Alembic issue, there's a big part of me that thinks that this issue is about me failing to bake everything properly in C4D and MD not being forgiving enough to deal with my (possibly) sloppy baking/constraints in C4D. I just feel like there's something I'm not doing right and said thing should be solved in Cinema4D. What do you think? Just a bunch of assumptions for the time being though.

Thanks a ton once again! :)

I have no experience with MD in particular, but when exporting alembics i'm a big friend of the "Connect" object in cinema4d.

Create a connect object, disable the "Weld points"  function (!!!!!), put a null under that connect object, and your character into that null.

Then export the connect object as alembic. This gives you a single object, with its axis at 0 0 0, so there is not much that MD can make wrong when importing it ;)

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Ederer said:

I have no experience with MD in particular, but when exporting alembics i'm a big friend of the "Connect" object in cinema4d.

Create a connect object, disable the "Weld points"  function (!!!!!), put a null under that connect object, and your character into that null.

Then export the connect object as alembic. This gives you a single object, with its axis at 0 0 0, so there is not much that MD can make wrong when importing it ;)

@Ederer, I can't thank you enough for your solution. It worked!

I also can't believe I forgot about the Connect object trick. I remember reading about it at some point, but it seems like for this case I was too caught up in finding an intricate solution.

Again; can't thank you enough. You've made my day. I can now move on with this project.

Cheers!