Hi,

I'm probably asking a dumb question but I can't find the good way to achieve it…

I'm trying to reproduce this perfectly rounded extrusion (cf img attached or https://andwalsh.com/work/all/our-branding/).

I tried to do with spline en volume builder/mesher or plain affector without success.

Thanks

Théo

Capture d’écran 2019-08-07 à 18.06.22.png

R21 would make an amazing job of this, given that it can scale a spline within the Volume Builder, and can put ends on sweeps like that but you can get very close procedurally with R20, and to perfection with a little manual modelling help...

You can do it with a simple sweep, 8 sided n-side primitive swept along a uniform bezier path spline under SDS and using the scaling in the sweep to give you the perfect bulges where you need them. The only bit you'll struggle with is the caps, but my vote would go to not using the caps in the sweep, and stitching on a half hexasphere to each end...

CBR

Here's one I knocked up in 2 minutes in R21, but using the technique you would in R20...

image.thumb.png.c5a26164c65cab755d4154a0543051a0.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thx Cerbera, I tried your tips and it's work fine ! 

I have several bug to fix (see image attached), do you have advice for that ? 

Capture d’écran 2019-08-08 à 13.05.02.png

Capture d’écran 2019-08-08 à 13.04.10.png

That is intersection caused by having too many spline points too close together. Also you have quite a lot of segments flowing down the object - you could get away with around half that density, which would also help alleviate the issue.

If you can't see what to adjust to fix this pls upload your scene file...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi ! 

I tried to reduce them by changing the "intermediate point" to "uniform" and down the number to 2. The result is better but there still remain this bug area. Do you think I should try to ajustate my curve ? 

Here is the C4D file

Capture d’écran 2019-08-08 à 15.13.46.png

&walsh.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Hi Cerbera, 

I reshaped entirely my spline and tweak my setings . I'm pretty happy with the result ! thx for your help. 

I choose to add a filet cap to close my shape, the result is good ! but maybe not as good as your recommandation.

I would like to know if there is an other way to achieve that with 2 splines (in the case where it's a font for exemple) and tell C4D to fill the space between the two spline with a circle wich diameter is equal to the space between the two spline, you see what I mean ? 

Srry for my terrible english.

Thx again

T.

Capture d’écran 2019-08-09 à 11.08.30.png

Capture d’écran 2019-08-09 à 11.11.16.png

Capture d’écran 2019-08-09 à 11.23.41.png

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera ? no hurry but if you have a idea ? I would like to apply this effect on vector text for exemple…
    thx

T.

There was a similar post on the cafe here a while back and one of the members made a script to trace down the middle of two splines. I couldn't find that post but here is a tracer set up that will work, but you have to split your letter into two parts, once you have those parts you can align a null to either spline and use a tracer to make a temporary spline between them, then you align a third null to the centre of that traced spline, and add another tracer to trace that centre null. Once you animate the align to splines from 0-100 thru the animation.

Sounds more complicated than it is, I have added some small spheres here to show where the nulls are but they are not needed really. You may need to reverse the sequence of your split splines if the nulls are not starting at the same end.

Tracer is a bit temperamental at the start and sometimes adds an extra point, but nothing you can't sort out with a bit of manual tweaking.

Having said all that the result still may not be suitable for what your after and it may just be easier to draw them.

Deck

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 17.01.03.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 17.01.14.png

Trace type center 01.c4d