Sign in to follow this  
M G

Secondary motion to a mospline

Hi All,

Seems as soon as I solve something a new issue pops up....

I have a spline with a sine wave motion on it (see attached file). I want to animate the spline at the vertex level as a secondary motion (or primary depending on how you look at it). The way I've rigged my spline is I can animate the vertex movement via the nulls. All motion will be in the front view on the XY axis, very 2 dimensional. 

I'm running into a problem where if I move a null (vertex) beyond a certain distance in the X axis, the spline and/or the sine wave rotates 90 degrees. As everything is planar, I have no idea why this is happening. Is there a way I can lock everything to the viewplane (XY axis) to prevent the rotation? The whole animation is going to take place in a planar view (XY axis) so I don't want any rotation. 

I thought this would be straightforward but maybe I'm missing something?

As always, any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

secondary_mospline_01.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Posted (edited)

I figured it out, kind of, but could still use help...

In the Formula parameters I had position (for wave) set to 50mm on Y. I changed it to X @50 (Y@0) and this seems to have fixed it. Why it would even work initially in the Y I'm not sure.

And oddly, this doesn't work if the line is completely straight, you have to switch the X and Y values if you want to view it as a straight line.

So as a straight line to see a Sine wave motion the Y parameter has to be the wave height. If the line is curved, animated with motion the X parameter represents the wave height. 

If someone knows a way that it can be both a straight line and a curved, animated line with a single wave parameter (Xor Y) please let me know. I might need to animate the line going from straight to curved while maintaining the Sine wave motion.

Edited by M G
    Added semi-fix

• Topic Author
  • For reference to this problem, I've attached a short animated file. It shows the spline rotating when the nulls are moved.

My goal is to animate a curve (spline) with wave motion in a 2D plane (XY axis). To animate the curve I rigged it with nulls at the vertices, and animating the nulls on the XY axis. Because the nulls are moving in a planar manner/positionally, I have no idea why the spline is rotating. 

Maybe someone knows how to lock the spline on the XY axis to prevent rotation? Maybe my spline settings should be changed? Maybe I should rig everything in a different manner? Open to any suggestions.

It seems like a very straightforward animation but I'm running into some odd issues.

Thanks!

curved wave_animation_01.c4d

• Topic Author
  • I'm going to give this a mini bump and add that I think the problem is in the sweep (the sweep is rotating, and that I need a rail spline or something like it to control the sweep rotation. From what I've read I need to duplicate my sweep path (spline) and use the duplicate as a rail. My question regarding this is if I animate my spline, can a duplicate of it still work as a rail? The rail works on static splines but I'm not sure if it will for an animated (dynamic) spline.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of problem, and know a different solution or have a suggestion, please help!

Thanks!!!