• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
HiFly

Reverse text out of a plane and bend

Hi C4D Cafe 

I'm trying to cut out custom made Illustrator text (available as a graphic only) from a rectangular plane, and then bend the plane into a cylinder. 

The plan is that the cylinder will roll along a road containing matching raised letters which will fit perfectly into the letter spaces removed from the cylinder. 

My first thought was to surface model the letters within a rectangle, and this might be my best option? But on my first try, the letters don't look as sharp as when I import the illustrator graphic and boolean it out of a plane.

When doing the boolean, I have used 'extrude' on a 'spline', and then in the options, I've set the 'type' to Quadrangles and ticked the 'regular grid' which gives me a full mesh. Only, the mesh is messy around the edges and once bent into a cylinder the edges of the type look sloppy and an unwanted mesh covers the sides of the cylinder.

My question is, is there a way to boolean the text from a plane which will look sharp when I bend and stretch it, or am I best off poly modelling the letters out of a rectangle?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you

sounds like maybe you should use the spline mask on the letters and a rectangular plane, and then extrude the result. Or you could just draw a box around the txt in AI, it amounts to the same thing, but spline mask is more flexible.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • Hi Deck

Brilliant. Thanks for the help!

Very much appreciated

No worries, I just noticed that should have read rectangular spline and not plane, but i think you got the message from the spline mask option.

Deck