• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
jericsynrgy

En masse controlling display visibility?

Is it possible to make a 'switch' such that you can control the >editor< visibility of a complex object made of many parts, en masse for that object, but still retain control over the display of each individual part? I'm using the DISPLAY tag to make things wireframe while the viewport remains in Solid Shading, but I can see controlling visibility would be quite laborious after a while.

13 hours ago, jericsynrgy said:

I'm using the DISPLAY tag to make things wireframe while the viewport remains in Solid Shading, but I can see controlling visibility would be quite laborious after a while.

There is nothing I am aware of that can do this 'out of the box', but I'm sure either Xpresso or Python could be used to make such a control, just not sure it's worth the effort !

Because Display tags work on group nulls, and propagate down to their children, you should only need a couple to be able to control an entire multi-part object - the solid one on the parent group, and a single wireframe tag you just keep moving to the object of current interest... or if you need multi objects to be wireframe at once, then just make a separate null with that tag, and move stuff into and out of it as needed...

CBR

Try this: Place a Display tag on the top-most null and set it to Wireframe and all children will be wireframe. Now, place a Display tag on any or all child objects, but keep it turned off. Now, when you select a child object, it will display as solid, or whatever viewport mode you're using. Not sure if this is an intended usage, since it's not at all intuitive to place a Display tag on something without turning it on and expect this result.