• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Stuggz

Sketch and toon with Voronoi Fracture

Hi all, 

I'm pretty new to C4d but learning!

I'm trying to make a structure crack a bit, then smash completely when it hits the ground. Trouble is I'm using Sketch and Toon (for outlines) with a voronoi fracture plus fixed connector, and so the fracture lines show up from the first frame, kinda giving away the ending...!

My first thought was to start from only a small 'point amount' value under the point generator source and then ramping it up when it hits the ground, but that sends the dynamics crazy at the transition point. plus the lines don't show up int he same place so some cracks 'heal' when it breaks into smaller pieces... 

Then I've tried using an animated spline as the source, same problems...

How would you experienced folk do it? Basically have a Voronoi fracture on an object while not having all the cracks show up until the pieces are forced apart... 

Thanks in advance,

S

43 minutes ago, Stuggz said:

How would you experienced folk do it?

I'd be surprised if there is anyone here who is experienced at this particular combo of things ! VF and SnT is certainly a total mystery for me as to what happens there with outlines ! :) I think we're going to need your scene file whatever the case... pls can you upload it ?

PS - I'll remove your dynamics tag from the post - as the problem here doesn't involve that there is no need to tag it as such.

CBR

I am also not that familiar with Sketch & Toon. but i noticed there is a opacity map option. So if you have R20, you could create vertex map on the Voronoi fracture (they even have prexisting vertexmaps, like outside faces, edges etc). And use fields to control the vertex map. Which would then in turn control the Sketch and Toon and when it shows up. 

• Topic Author
  • Ah okay, thanks both of you, I'll give that opacity map technique a go. 

34 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I'd be surprised if there is anyone here who is experienced at this particular combo of things !

- but surely people have wanted outlined renders of things smashing before, right? Is there a better combo that you'd recommend? (Actually it kinda has to be S&T since that's the look we've gone for in everythign else...)

Attached is a simplified project file. So bear in mind I'm after a cylinder that cracks a bit at the bottom first, but mainly stays together, then it smashes entirely once it hits the floor.

S

SmashTube.c4d

I think with fields you would definitely have control over it. where its to show up first etc. Also cel renderer might be a quicker option. And secondly it would probably be easier to do it in post like After Effects. maybe two render passes. one with the shaded main file and one with just the cracks. on top of it. You could then easily mask that crack pass layer in after effects and expend the mask during the animation. might be slightly more work not sure.

• Topic Author
  • Hi @Abyss, thanks for your suggestions!

By 'fields', you mean like using a plain effector to selectively smash it like in this tutorial?

Thing is I've no problem selecting where/how to fracture my object, it's just that having it within a Voronoi fracture object at all means that it's technically fractured from the start, even if dynamics don't kick in til later though right? So SnT picks up on that fact and draws the lines in pre-break...

Cel renderer is quicker yeah but very inflexible and doesn't give the right look for our project. We're aiming for hand-drawn...

I had thought about revealing the SnT lines in AE and I'll probably go back to planning for that, I was just hoping for a less manual way of doing it! Especially since I'll probably be doing similar work on more complex objects/animations in the near future.

Thanks,

S