• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Beefdoctor

Dynamic IK with soft body dynamics?

Hey guys, been using Cinema 4D for quite a while now but only just starting to look at character stuff.

What I'm trying to achieve is a dismembered arm that is rigged (so it can bend at the elbow and wrist), that can also fall with gravity, have soft body dynamics, and interact with its environment. Can this be done?

I thought i could maybe achieve something with the IK tag, but the joint the IK tag is on does not fall with gravity, and there is no Soft Body dynamics with this method.

Check out my C4D tutorials at Digitalmeat.uk

Please attach a scene file, will be easier to help. One way would be to create receiving rig, or even some ragdoll trickery with mesh deformer, but I don't know how your scene is setup...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Here's a scene for you, I've stripped it down to keep things simplified. It contains my rigged & skinned arm. Thanks for taking a look at this, it's much appreciated.

Right Arm Test.c4d

Here is a quickie. This might work for you depending on your needs. Idea is that you use mesh deformer to deform original mesh, where approximation mesh is dynamic. I used softbody but you can rig it as rigid body too. Hope that helps :)

Right Arm Test_0001.c4d

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the input, but I've actually already achieved this and it's not what I'm looking for. I need the arm to pivot at the elbow (Like an actual arm would) which means I also need the joints and the skin object so the surface deforms properly when the elbow joint rotates, understand?

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I've come up with something a little better, let me know what you think. :D

Right Arm Test.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 5 hours ago, Hrvoje said:

That looks good, although a bit disturbing :)

Thanks, and yes, it does look pretty disturbing :lol: